Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 11:39:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341057 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion  (Read 30736 times)
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »

This latest episode, the Fairy one.....wow
Code:

first time in a long time we see the "good guys" lose.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 06:43:25 PM »

I didn't like the fairy one much. It was just way too Doctor Who. It was impossible for the 'fairies' to be scary or whatever with CGI like that. It just didn't work. Although the ending was interesting, I won't deny that.

I'm also getting sick of all the bloody Welsh accents!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »

I didn't think it was very Doctor Who, IMO. The fairies were too Fantasy for even that. The only episode so far that has had anything to do with Doctor Who was last week's Cyberwoman, and that was very good if I remember rightly. And I think there needs to be the odd episode that has something to do with Doctor Who, as I'm sure some of us want to know
Code:
why the hell Captain Jack is in 21st Century Cardiff and he's suddenly less of an idiot now.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2006, 05:48:09 PM »

The Cyberwoman episode was good, but it still had a little too much cheese. They needed to make her design a little more gruesome, like the guy she tried to upgrade. You can't be scary while having BIG FUCK OFF HANDLES ON YOUR HEAD.

I had a stupid dream

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 10:34:23 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
I didn't think it was very Doctor Who, IMO. The fairies were too Fantasy for even that. The only episode so far that has had anything to do with Doctor Who was last week's Cyberwoman, and that was very good if I remember rightly. And I think there needs to be the odd episode that has something to do with Doctor Who, as I'm sure some of us want to know
Code:
why the hell Captain Jack is in 21st Century Cardiff and he's suddenly less of an idiot now.

Apparently, all will be explained in an episode of Doctor Who this forthcoming series. Meeting up with Jack and having to take him back to (presumably) present-day Cardiff and leave him there would be very much in-keeping with the whole "Lonely God" theme that's supposed to be running through the next series.

Speaking of running themes, any ideas as to what Torchwood's is, if there is one? I was picking up on the fact that every episode one of Torchwood's members uses the phrase "I'm so sorry, we did everything we could..." or words to that effect!

Also, on a bit of a side-note, episodes 4 & 5 of the next series of Doctor Who will be set in Victorian London with the Doctor and Marsha investigating a series of exterminations...

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 07:27:58 AM »

Last night's episode was by far the best one yet. It ripped off The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a little bit, but it was still great.

The fact that
Code:
it turned out not to be aliens was really good. Even better that they had no motive, it just 'made them happy.'

Most importantly - NO CHEESE!!!

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 07:24:17 AM »

Hmmm looks like next week they're
Code:
bringing Suzie Costello back from the dead.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »

Well, certainly seems like this was the most "important" episode so far.

All this talk of a "Darkness" coming for Jack almost reminds me of some early Babylon 5!

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 04:47:47 PM »

Maybe they'll do something incredibly cliche and have Death come after him, like in Final Destination. But that would just be stupid. And as for
Code:
Jack not dying, why haven't they noticed yet? I think being electrocuted 3 times would kinda be a bit odd, dontcha think?

Edit: I've thought of a recurring theme - Torchwood aren't doing a lot of saving people, rather they're usually ending up getting killed because of them. The only time it wasn't because of them was episode 6, Countrycide, i think.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 09:18:10 AM »

A couple of friends and I were talking about what Suzie said about being dead, and it certainly reminded me of how the Doctor describes the 'void' the Timelords sent the Darleks to...

Maybe the things in the darkness are the Darleks? I mean, it should stand to reason they'd be pretty narked about him not staying exterminated, after all!

Also, Ianto's comment about gloves and pairs... If Jack is dead, surely the only thing that wold be able to 'kill' him would be if he were resurrected? I think he will regain his mortality temporarily. Maybe not until next series, though (asuming there is a next series, of course!)

While we're on the subject of predictions, too, I think Owen, Tosh and Gwen's boyfriend will die, possibly in the series finale. They might even kill off Gwen, and just focus on Jack, but I think that would be going too far.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 12:16:56 PM »

I'm surprised that Gwen's boyfriend survived this long to be honest :P I thought he'd be killed off by the third episode!

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »

Here's a really far-fetched way of ending the series: they bring back the Gelth from episode 3 of the Eccleston series, and it ends up with Cardiff being overrun with "zombies" and Gwen turns out to be the reincarnation of Gwyneth,
Code:
who died in that episode closing the rift and was played by the same actress.
Yeah right.

This would never, ever happen, but there doesn't seem to be much that would be anymore plausible - except EvilGately's idea of Daleks would be a less obscure reference to Doctor Who, and they could even somehow bring the Doctor's hand into it. But to perfectly honest, Daleks are a bit overused even in that. And Daleks are practically the definition of cheese :P
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 06:05:32 PM »

Cheese, yes. Extremely kick arse, even more yes.

I doubt they'll do Daleks though.

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2006, 04:12:10 PM »

Yup, you're right there. If they did have Daleks, I'm sure they would be much more evil looking and have chainsaws instead of plungers - like the Cyberman conversion machine doesn't look quite so much like CGI on Torchwood. But anyway, maybe Torchwood will get its own equivalent of Daleks if there are more series. Like they might remember about the Weevils, who looked as if they'd be Torchwood's main "enemies" from the first episeode.

To change the subject, how much do you wanna bet this is gonna be an 18 when it's on dvd? I mean, even the first few episodes would near enough warrant that kind of rating, and certainly the village episode does. Quite a drastic difference from Doctor Who...

P.S.   CBBC logo on Torchwood = ROFLMFAO
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2006, 05:50:39 PM »

Just watched last week's (again) and this week's episodes... Who spotted The Doctor's 3D glasses last week, then, in Jack's office? Nice touch!

This week's... Hmm, I wanted to enjoy it, but it appeared to have nothing to do with the main story arc so far. It felt like it should have happened much earlier in the series, maybe episode 4 or 5? After last week's revelations about the darkness and all that, I expected the story to step it up a gear, not take a back-seat!

As a stand-alone episode, it was pretty good. Apart from the ending.

As Degs would say, it was cheese.

Definitely brie, if not gorgonzola!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: