Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 08:32:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319733 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Torchwood/Dr. Who discussion  (Read 28779 times)
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2007, 04:52:18 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Looks like EvilGately was right, then...

Damn, I hate it when that happens! :P

It was a bit of a shock to see the Chameleon Arch have such a prominent role in this episode, but at least that means I get to take back what I said about Human Nature/Family of Blood being filler episodes.

And yes, Mr. Simm did seem to be having fun, didn't he? Jack Harkness seems slightly surplus to requirements at the moment, but as we've had demonstrated more than ever in this series, nothing is put in an episode without reason...

A few nice touches I noticed:

Code:
1. This isn't the first time Mr. Jacobi has played The Master. He played the role in the BBC flash webtoon, Scream of the Shalka, alongside Richard E. Grant, who was, incidently, widely tipped to be the ninth Doctor.

2. The Professor's name, Yana, and the "You Are Not Alone" connection. Brilliant!

3. The uncertainty as to whether The Master just stole one of The Doctor's regenerations. I was quite hungover when I watched the episode, but it seemed like he used The Doctor's severed hand to convince the TARDIS to allow him to regenerate. It was already established in the TV movie that The Master had used all of his regenerations.

On another note, something that I'd picked up on in 'The Lazarus Experiment' but neglected to mention so far: The name, Harold Saxon. Harold Godwinson (King Harold II) who died at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 was a Saxon king of England...

Code:
Fitting pseudonym for a megalomaniac alien dictator who ends up as the leader of England....

I just hope they don't drop the ball with the next two episodes!

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
While watching this week's episode, I was wondering if The Futurekind would be their explanation for the Weevils in Torchwood, as they were similarly toothy and feral and also had a taste for human flesh, but then
Code:
this episode wasn't set on Earth

so they wouldn't be.

You not paying attention to the details, ZGM!

Code:
Just before he gets shot, The Master pulls a disc out of the computer and exlcaims: "Utopia? Hmpf." before discarding said disc.

That could've been anything on that disc.

Also, I don't know if it was confirmed in this episode or if it's going to be revealed in Sound of Drums or Last of the Timelords, but apparently the rift in Cardiff...

Code:
was created by a TARDIS exploding. I personally think that The Master will find another TARDIS but it will be badly damaged, after The Doctor inevitably gets his back,  causing the rift explosion and allowing Russel T. Davies to write The Master back in as and when he wishes.

Just a theory!

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2007, 03:06:37 PM »

best part IMHO was the line:
Code:

"normally at this point I would tell you my plan in intricate detail to give you enough time to figure out a counter plan and foil it, but this time I'm not!"

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2007, 11:37:09 AM »

I thought Jacobi was great - but John Simm was *wayyyy* too camp and over the top for my liking. I was actually pretty disappointed.

Didn't know the one spoiler about what caused the rift in Cardiff...but it's interesting if true.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 02:47:37 PM »

But its still too early to judge Simm, he had less than a minute of air time and the master just regenerated, so that can explain why he was acting like that.

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:50 AM »

Can't believe I never thought of this sooner:

Code:
If The Master has a Chameleon Arch, he has a TARDIS. Queue one exit for The Doctor & Co.

They use this TARDIS to chase The Master, but only manage to get to him after his election as Prime Minister due to the fact that they can't cross their own timelines.

The Master uses his TARDIS, thinking it to be less damaged than The Doctor's. Either The Doctor, Martha or Jack manage to sabotage it, resulting in the explosion that causes the creation of the rift and allowing the finale to be set in Cardiff so Harkness can rejoin Torchwood, setting up the next series.

Finally, it would also enable them to write out The Master but leave a window of opportunity open to bring him back as and when they needed him.

After my Jacobi/regeneration prediction, who's gonna start laying down their money on this one, then?!? :P

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 05:16:42 AM »

Sorry - you weren't even close.

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2007, 07:09:11 AM »

But,
Code:
that Paradox Machine does seem to have made a big rift in the space-time continuum... And I don't know whether this is just a coincidence, but those Spheres Of Death (I forgot what they were called) sound rather like the Gelth from Series One. And the Gelth came from The Rift in Cardiff, so maybe at the end of The Last Of The Time Lords they close the rift created by the paradox machine, send the Spheres O'Death back through, only for them to return as the Gelth in 19th-Century Cardiff without their shells. And they could send the Master through as well.

So the Torchwood team are in the Himalayas, eh? Maybe they'll all meet with a horrific accident... We can only hope. Well, maybe not all of them - just Owen would do.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »

That's not an unplausible theory except for the part about
Code:
The Master

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2007, 12:08:44 PM »

Doctor Who series finale rant:
Code:
THEY KILLED THE MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus, Captain Jack is the Face of Boe? Well, it makes some kind of sense, with the Face knowing about The Master and all. But pretty lame reason for him being called The Face Of Boe, though.....
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »

Overall? Loved Sound of Drums. One of the cleverest episodes this series. Last of the Timelords? Why do they keep dropping the ball with series finales?

Code:
With so much scope for how they were going to return The Doctor to his original form, why did they have to do something as cheesey as the whole world thinking the same word at the same time??? Rubbish!

Writing out John Simm as The Master? Again, rubbish. Although is anyone else suspicious of Mrs. Saxon? Could she have been The Rani? The female hand picking his ring up from the funeral pyre kinda indicates this.

I think they'll write The Master back in, either in Torchwood or DW itself, but I enjoyed the way Simm played him. It'll be a shame to lose him as a member of the cast.

The Face of Boe thing made sense, but the way it was handled wasn't right, IMO. One or two clues may have been nice to set that up...

It would appear that Ms. Agyeman and Ms. Minogue aren't exactly best of friends, if they've written Martha out for the Xmas special!

Oh, well, never mind! Roll on October and the new series of TW.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

I honestly doubt that Mrs Saxon was
Code:
The Rani

Too obscure.

Probably just a boring human. The finale was pretty gutless but about what I was expecting.

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2007, 04:32:09 PM »

So, then, no Martha in DW for the first 6 or 7 episodes, instead she's been kicked over to Torchwood for 3 episodes and we see the return of Donna, the Runaway Bride (aka Catherine Tate) for the whole of season 4.

Kylie Minogue is confirmed for the Xmas special, but the rumours of that had been flying about for a few months now. What's not confirmed is if she's a villain or another companion...

If she is a villain, that that may well fit in with the female hand picking up The Master's ring at the end of Last of the Timelords, and possibly with my Rani theory...

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »

Nope, that hand was definitely Mrs Saxon's. It had the same colour of nail polish she was wearing earlier in the episode.

Edit: Martha's role in Torchwood? Ends up in The Hub, does a much better job at being a doctor than Owen, for no apparent reason has sex with him, Gwen finds out, tells Martha about her and Owen, Martha and/or Gwen kills Owen, Torchwood gets a proper doctor. Sound plausible to you guys?
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2007, 12:25:12 PM »

Yeah, if she was staying for more than three episodes maybe. I think it's more likely that Martha and Jack will end up together, just so he can get one up on The Doctor, in a weird, twisted kinda way!

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »

Torchwood series 2 won't be shown until January, apparently. And when it is shown, it'll only be on bbc 2 - because more than 2 people watched it when it was on bbc 3. Looks like the delay is because bbc 2 will be too busy showing Heroes - either that or because then Martha's crossover will fit more conveniently into the Doctor Who storyline. Looks like we'll have to make do with Heroes then. Oh whatever will we do?

Note the sarcasm in that statement, as, quite literally, Heroes is far, far, far better than Torchwood in every possible way. Well, maybe not the acting, but who really cares about acting anyway?

Anyway, it's not that long till Doctor Who starts again. Only 10 months...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: