Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327158 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Yumina the Ethereal: A new ecchi JRPG for Agarest War fans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Yumina the Ethereal: A new ecchi JRPG for Agarest War fans  (Read 9172 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »

The game is a moe romantic comedy, which transitions into a more serious sci-fi style story later in the game.  This should be a familiar pattern to those who play JRPGs and watch anime.

So expect a totally derailed plot then?

Because I have rarely ever seen a JRPG or an Anime not botch a genre transition like that and turn it into a clusterfuck.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »

Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes transition from slice-of-life to more serious sci-fi storylines.  Toradora and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo transition from slice of life comedy to serious romantic drama.  Star Ocean 3 transitions fairly sharply from fantasy to sci-fi genre.  Duel Savior is primarily a chara-ge early in, but later develops a pretty compelling sci-fi/fantasy plot.  Even Sengoku Rance has its "serious business" moments later in the game once the arch villain shows up.  I think there are plenty of examples of successful transitions.

While I can't guarantee Yumina the Ethereal's plot will blow you away (players usually emphasize the comedy over the plot), VN players tend to set a fairly high bar for story (and they're the ones rating this game on VNDB and Erogamescape).  On the other hand, many JRPGs and anime are targeted at younger audiences, so it's really no surprise the writing doesn't always meet expectations.

Myself, I was pretty disappointed with Agarest War.  I bought it expecting a VN / RPG hybrid.  I got a grindfest with hardly any character interaction--basically, the VN element was almost absent.  For those similarly disappointed, I think there will be a lot to like in Yumina the Ethereal.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:20:24 PM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 01:38:28 AM »

Star Ocean 3 transitions fairly sharply from fantasy to sci-fi genre.

Yeah see, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Especially when you recall that SO3 started off AS a Sci-Fi (going so far as to start on future Earth/Not-Star Trek's Federation), then dumped that to become yet another Swords and Sorcery JRPG, only to abandon that to become a Sci-Fi adventure about repulsing the Not-Romulan Empire with Jesus Beams, only to abandon that for a galactic apocalypse/not-Third Impact, only to abandon that with a Matrix ripoff and trying to keep a company from shutting down the MMORPG that is the Universe.

Yes, SO3 makes transitions, but each transition is more stupid and ill conceived than the last. In fact, its so bad that the SO series is almost completely screwed in terms of future installments set after SO3 because of the way that SO3 went about its business. It'd take nothing short of a full on Reboot to the Head to make a Star Ocean "5" not retcon the hell out of SO3's ending (of course, this being Tri-ace, they'll eventually make a direct sequel anyway because they simply cannot write).

Ultimately, anybody can make a transition to something else. But there's no guarantee that the transition will be any good, and generally speaking, I find it actually surprising and impressive to see an anime or a manga or a VN end in something other than a disappointing clusterfuck of completely wasted potential.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 02:01:34 AM »

Star Ocean 3 transitions fairly sharply from fantasy to sci-fi genre.

Yeah see, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Especially when you recall that SO3 started off AS a Sci-Fi (going so far as to start on future Earth/Not-Star Trek's Federation), then dumped that to become yet another Swords and Sorcery JRPG, only to abandon that to become a Sci-Fi adventure about repulsing the Not-Romulan Empire with Jesus Beams, only to abandon that for a galactic apocalypse/not-Third Impact, only to abandon that with a Matrix ripoff and trying to keep a company from shutting down the MMORPG that is the Universe.

Yes, SO3 makes transitions, but each transition is more stupid and ill conceived than the last. In fact, its so bad that the SO series is almost completely screwed in terms of future installments set after SO3 because of the way that SO3 went about its business. It'd take nothing short of a full on Reboot to the Head to make a Star Ocean "5" not retcon the hell out of SO3's ending (of course, this being Tri-ace, they'll eventually make a direct sequel anyway because they simply cannot write).

Ultimately, anybody can make a transition to something else. But there's no guarantee that the transition will be any good, and generally speaking, I find it actually surprising and impressive to see an anime or a manga or a VN end in something other than a disappointing clusterfuck of completely wasted potential.

All of this.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »

I think Valkyrie Profile was the first and only TriAce game to have accomplished a good story (but did so with the sort of "muddiness" of a lot of early RPGs).

....Why do so many people play games for story?  I think playing the new 10's era of Atelier games made me dumber,but hot diggity, was alchemy fun.  Same for most of Tri Ace or Tri-Crescendo titles, or even Namdai.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 02:15:45 PM »

Story is the cream that keeps the oreo cookies together.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

I think Valkyrie Profile was the first and only TriAce game to have accomplished a good story (but did so with the sort of "muddiness" of a lot of early RPGs).

....Why do so many people play games for story?  I think playing the new 10's era of Atelier games made me dumber,but hot diggity, was alchemy fun.  Same for most of Tri Ace or Tri-Crescendo titles, or even Namdai.

I can forgive lack of a decent story in the wake of a decent cast of characters. In fact, with a good enough cast to get wrapped up in, provided dialogue is also good, I can totally overlook a flawed/boring/cliche' plot.  Couple a good cast with good gameplay and I'll be happy as a lark over-throwing innumerable evil empires time and time again.

Case and point. The Tales series. I can't say any of the games in the series  proved terribly memorable for me in terms of plot. Yet, Tales stands as one of my favorite franchises by far with a host of characters I'll never forget and, hands down, some of the best gameplay in the realm of JRPG's period.'

Getting hooked by a good story is the exception for me. I love when it happens but VERY seldom does it really occur. Most recently (for me personally, having just played them this year) persona 2 IS and EP reached a level of "stellar" in terms of plot that enabled me to overlook the excruciating gameplay.

Then of course there are titles that get me without a mondo-cool-cast or decent story and shine by merit of environments, soundtracks or gameplay. Secret of Mana immediately comes to mind.

In short, the point of what I am saying is the ultimate truth for me personally is that while it is the "gelling" of these various qualities in games that make for an enjoyable experience, it need only have a few of these qualities reach an "exceptional" level to have a really great time with the title. This of course holds true for me ONLY with JRPGS.... Anything else (WRPGS, or other genres) need to be uterly fantastic in every regard to hold my attention. Sometimes I don't think I would even play video games if not for JRPGs *shrug*... good to know what trips your trigger I suppose.

Ok thats enough... I'm rambling now... notice the increase in ellipses...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »

JAST just released a major website update, including a free trial of the entire first chapter (!), an image gallery, a prominently displayed official OP (sadly without subtitles), the manual (which discusses the gameplay mechanics), and system requirements. The website layout is completely redesigned: visually it's very appealing. The system section is still under construction.

The free trial includes the entire first chapter of the game, clocking in at a whopping 1.4GB.  The website is really looking good now; I recommend that everyone interested in the game check it out.  The manual provides some new details on the combat system.
http://www.jastusa.com/yumina/downloads.html

The new release date is August 30th.

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »

A demo?  All right, looks like they're learning from their past mistakes.  That gets a thumbs up from me. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 06:13:01 PM »

That gets a thumbs up from me. 

Same here.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »

Yeah, I'll give the demo a shot.  Why not...

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »

I wish Jast would actually release things on time for a change. This was supposed have been released by now.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

So I finally finished off the demo last night (picked it up a while ago but then got distracted by shiny objects...or maybe Dragon's Crown...).  Overall I enjoyed it.  This is not a game that takes itself seriously, and it's better off because of it.  The focus (at least in the demo) is squarely on the comedy end and while there weren't any big laugh-out-loud moments there's an amusing cast of characters with a fun dynamic.  I also appreciate that the game thoroughly understands how ridiculous its whole premise is (unlike a lot of JRPGs that demand you take them seriously even when they're being ridiculous...).  It's almost a parody, really.  Also, the translation was quite solid.

Battles were fun.  It's a very unique turn-based battle system and they throw a lot of stuff at you right off the bat but once you begin to understand how it all fits together the system works quite well.  Seemed to move at a pretty good pace, too.  You don't have enough abilities early on to be real strategic about things (you're kind of limited to just using what you've got), but I can imagine how things would get more interesting later on.  Unfortunately the dungeon-crawling element was not present in the demo.

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »

That aligns pretty well with my own impressions.  I'm not generally a fan of comedy, but the dialogue drew me in and kept me interested.  The amount of gameplay is pretty low in the trial, lower than I expect in the rest of the game once the dungeon element gets introduced.  Compared to Aselia the Eternal, the battle system seems to have more potential to challenge the player strategically.  Also, this time around you actually choose how the players develop along an ability tree.  Likewise, the events you choose to engage in determine the skills you unlock.  Character customization options are therefore greatly increased.

The free trial took me about 9 hours to finish.  I expect it'll take most players about 5 hours.

Here's English gameplay footage from the free trial.
Tutorial
First fight
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:53:10 PM by magusgs » Logged

magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »

The game is released.  The gameplay section of the official website is also complete, which gives a quick overview of the battle system.

Give the free trial a try if you're on the fence: http://www.jastusa.com/yumina/downloads.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:36:30 PM by magusgs » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: