Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327762 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?  (Read 6035 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

I figure we could get some good ideas going here.

I'd like:
1) More Multiplayer/online innovation.
The FPS genre is really pushing into new territory with meta-MMOs like Destiny (which is technically an RPG). We had some good innovation with the Souls series but its time to take it a bit further. RPGs should be the vanguard of new online interactions. After all, RPGs are derived from tabletop games where multiplayer was the original draw.

2) More immersive open worlds.
Skyrim was cool and all, but in the end it still did feel like a big empty world full of NPCs and scripted events. There has to be something more dynamic, more of a sandbox.

3) Small or Medium sized open worlds with tons of detail.
If RPGs do continue on with the scripted event type gameplay, it would be cooler to have a smaller open world thats packed to the brim with details: quests, items, npcs, etc. My dream setting would be an RPG set in a Midgar-esque city with so much detail that it would be near impossible to experience it all.

4) Crossing the boundary between actual animation and 3d character models.
We came pretty close last gen with cel shading in anime-styled games. Can't wait to see what next-gen hardware will be able to do.

5) New battle systems.
I know people are sick of turn based, but I'm sick of the mindless hack and slash. I'll just be happy with combat systems that don't have me pressing X to win for the first 5+ hours.

6) Better storylines & Writing.
FFS let the surprise godly-final-boss trope fucking die already. Goddamn it Final Fantasy. They even threw that shit in Mass Effect 3. LET IT END. I want smaller-scale stories in general, more personal interactions that can drive emotions better than the typical he save-the-world quest.

7) Better Voice Acting.
If my other video games don't sound like a low budget saturday morning anime dub, my RPGs shouldn't either.

8) New Settings/background.
I'll pretty much take anything over Medieval Fantasy and (cliched) Science-Fiction at this point.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:03 PM »

NEW BETTER EVERYTHING

Two things: I want more Japanese games to receive English-language versions and I want a movement *away* from AAA titles.  Give us more indie $5 RPGs, more small-studio $20 RPGs, and more self-publishing options, and give me a good amount of variety within those.  PSN store, XBLA store, Steam, whatever.  All of those.  There's a reason I'm basically a Sony fanboy now that we've seen the new consoles. 

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »

A.)I would love to see some franchises brought back to life in the next gen in home console spendor. I needn't list them as most of you can guess which... and yes most of them are all pipe dreams at this point but no one said I need to be realistic with my wishes now did they?

Moving on...

B.) I really just want to see a bit more traditional stuff on home consoles. I may be of the minority but I am not sick of turn based gameplay in the least. In fact I feel starved for a decent turn based epic. I'm presently loving the combat of Atelier Ayesha. I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation, visual, overworld map and many other elements of Ni No Kuni even if the story was rather forgettable. I want to see some of these directions mashed-up in something a wee-bit more grand.

C.) I want to see IF/compile hearts finally get some games out with higher production values and whatnot. I really feel uber-good things are to come from them in time. Again, I am probably of the minority in this belief.

D.) I want more bright and bubbly fantasy.

But in truth I think my particular apetite for RPG's can pretty much be satiated with...

Two things: I want more Japanese games to receive English-language versions and I want a movement *away* from AAA titles.  Give us more indie $5 RPGs, more small-studio $20 RPGs, and more self-publishing options, and give me a good amount of variety within those. 

I can't really sum it up better than that.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »

You know, if some of the J-RPGs that aren't localized started being released digitally untranslated state-side, I know a lot of people who would be happy (Wouldn't affect me either way, unless it meant less RPG's being localized b/c of it)

Me, I just want RPG's to start packaging more stuff in smaller packages. Cut out the dead weight like grinding and pointless NPC dialogue.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:56:34 PM »

I don't want -

Forced online. Not every game needs an online component.

Every game as an action RPG. How about a little variety in the combat systems?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:31:13 PM »

I just want good RPGs
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

@Sagacious-T: Do you want a sandwich too with all that? :P

@Lard: If E3 is any indication you might end up getting angry with some future titles for next-gen. I'm just assuming from what I've seen online though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »

You know that pressure out there, for RPGs to be these 60-100 hour epics?

Fuck that shit. Nobody has time for that.

I want RPGs that are 20 hours long to finish, tops.

Also more minimalist graphics. I mean, it's like, yes, by all means, spend HOURS making this super-detailed model that I'm not even going to pay that much attention to. Also I LOVE IT when everything is dark except for the mess of random colors and shaders everywhere.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »

Lots of optional stuff and secrets.  Secret areas, gear, characters and bosses always won me over. No game ever touched FF6 in that department.  Atmosphere and music are important too..and kinda go hand in hand.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:55:27 PM »

You know that pressure out there, for RPGs to be these 60-100 hour epics?

Fuck that shit. Nobody has time for that.

I want RPGs that are 20 hours long to finish, tops.

Also more minimalist graphics. I mean, it's like, yes, by all means, spend HOURS making this super-detailed model that I'm not even going to pay that much attention to. Also I LOVE IT when everything is dark except for the mess of random colors and shaders everywhere.

This. I don't have time for 50+ RPGs, so something within the 15-30 hours range is fine with me. In regards to graphics, preferably, I'd like to see Secret of Mana/FF6 graphics again. We'll see what comes our way.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:34:31 PM »

Secret areas, gear, characters and bosses always won me over. No game ever touched FF6 in that department.

There are lots of games that had comparable amounts of, or more, secret stuff in them than FFVI did. Not so much on the SNES from that era (well, Romancing SaGa 3, I guess?), but loads of stuff on the PC. It's REALLY common now.

I think secret stuff gets abused a lot though. You have to make it good enough to be worth getting, but not gamebreaking if you DO get it, and you can't have other stuff depending on you getting it if it's too hard to find.

What I really like -- and what I DON'T see a lot of -- are secret events that don't necessarily GIVE you something, but just flesh out the gameworld. Chrono Cross had some, and Shenmue and Metal Saga were built around this. They're neat because they make the game feel like it's going on outside of what you're directly doing -- I think a lot of open-ended RPGs could use these, but few really have them.

It's neat when you walk into a town and some shit starts happening that you don't expect.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »

What I really like -- and what I DON'T see a lot of -- are secret events that don't necessarily GIVE you something, but just flesh out the gameworld. Chrono Cross had some, and Shenmue and Metal Saga were built around this. They're neat because they make the game feel like it's going on outside of what you're directly doing -- I think a lot of open-ended RPGs could use these, but few really have them.

Yes! I believe every Tales fan would agree that the skits are what set that series apart in character building.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »

It's neat when you walk into a town and some shit starts happening that you don't expect.

I had this happen to me when playing "Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World", when I entered whatever town was closest to me to pick up items, and was greeted with a cut scene when walking further into town. It assisted in fleshing out Marta's and Alice's back-story.

Code:
A scene that always left me in awe in Chrono Trigger was when your brought Magus along to fight Zeal on on top of the Black Omen. Instead of hearing Zeal banter about world domination, you get Magus's response to her madness, as well as his main theme for the battle track. That was very impressionable and also a very Bad Ass moment in video gaming right there for me. While initiating this scene is no more than a character swap a way, its impact in the narrative is miles apart had he not been part of the fight. It would be just as criminal as not bringing Marle for Chrono's Body swap scene at the summit of Death Peak.

With: http://youtu.be/stW28vfLeOA?t=3m10s
Sans: http://youtu.be/LcRrbC9hRVU?t=4m24s

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »

My biggest hope is that all the talk about the new systems being easier to program for directly translates into more quality RPGs that I can play on my TV.  Please go down production costs, so that I can play a game like persona in glorious large-screen HD.  Not on a handheld, while I lay in front of hundreds of dollars in gaming equipment, trying to figure out what other ps2 games I may have missed.

If I could have one more selfish request, it's that the genre somehow figure out a way to prevent so many face-palm moments.  It feels like for the ps3 rpgs I have enjoyed, I need to add a disclaimer about what aspect I liked.  It would be nice if when I'm asked what type of games I play I don't have to add "No-no, ignore the chibi girls, look at this equipment system!" or "but it would've been way better if Snow and Hope just died 2 hours in."
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »

1)world map - a fully explorable world map
2) turn based battles with no loading screen - why do we have to have a loading screen, why can't i fight them right on the  map?
3) insane/fast battle scenes - the great thing about turn based battles is that it allows you to have unlimited epicness with each attack.  why this hasn't been done since psx is a mystery to me.
4)eliminate anime moe characters - no more characters looking like 8 yr old girls.  seriously.
5)  ffvi and ffVII remake, thank you.
6) no auto leveling enemies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: