Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:43:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327543 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?  (Read 5973 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »

3) insane/fast battle scenes - the great thing about turn based battles is that it allows you to have unlimited epicness with each attack. why this hasn't been done since psx is a mystery to me.

PSX?
I recall a certain game with battles like that, especially with tech attacks.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 01:27:29 AM »

3) insane/fast battle scenes - the great thing about turn based battles is that it allows you to have unlimited epicness with each attack. why this hasn't been done since psx is a mystery to me.

PSX?

What? THIS is what you should have linked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1rMSChlKw
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 02:47:52 AM »

eliminate anime moe characters - no more characters looking like 8 yr old girls.

What are you talking about? Moe is just merely a person infatuated with a character, not a concrete thing that you can categorize. I mean what you call "Anime Moe Characters" is just... an underage character, which enters in a completly different discussion that has been a thing since like the 70's in Japan and has evolved over time in media.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »

PSX?

People have been using PSX as shorthand for the original Playstation since for-fucking-ever. Why am I suddenly encountering people that are confused by this.

1)world map - a fully explorable world map

This is an oxymoron. World maps are inherent;y NOT fully explorable, because they're an abstraction of the world the game takes place in. If you want fully explorable, you'd need to have all of the game environments in one, contiguous worldspace.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 05:36:10 AM »

People have been using PSX as shorthand for the original Playstation since for-fucking-ever. Why am I suddenly encountering people that are confused by this.

Generational gap is the only answer I can give you.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

You know that pressure out there, for RPGs to be these 60-100 hour epics?

Fuck that shit. Nobody has time for that.

I want RPGs that are 20 hours long to finish, tops..

This. I don't have time for 50+ RPGs, so something within the 15-30 hours range is fine with me.

I both agree and disagree with these two points. I agree that games should not extend their length just to have a longer game but I equally dislike the idea of them forcibly shortening it. I feel if a game needs to be 60 hours it should be 60 hours and if it needs to be 20 hours it should be 20 hours.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »

Can you really maintain interesting gameplay for 60 hours, though? How long does the average RPG take to fully explore its mechanics? The game's story might need 60 hours to tell, but what if the gameplay's only... fresh for 20?

My dream setting would be an RPG set in a Midgar-esque city with so much detail that it would be near impossible to experience it all.

I used to wonder what Oblivion would have been like if it had been set in a single, realistically built Imperial City, instead of taking place over an entire province. In reality I probably would've had the same issues with the game, since they related more to the quest design, but c'est quoi c'est.

When I was younger I was more impressed by huge, sprawly gameworlds, because they're overtly impressive, but then I got really burnt out on that. And because I discovered Ultima 7 which, while being big, isn't huge, and is very detailed

The thing with detail is that, while being huge can be accomplished with less personwork and is heavily reliant on the tech side of things -- it sort of mandates good rendering engines with high draw distances that can be performant with a lot of stuff going on, and if you go the procgen route, that's also really system heavy if you want to do it well -- detail requires a lo of manual labor to pull off. You can't procgen the detailed route and have it be interesting unless you're like IDK Tarn Adams.

Which is probably why you don't see it as much. I'd really love to get more of this though.

I'll just be happy with combat systems that don't have me pressing X to win for the first 5+ hours.

That is, regrettably, still most turn based systems :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »

I'm easy to please.  The only thing I want is less trying to appeal to a wider audience by changing base mechanics.

And for the love of God, no shoehorned multiplayer. Please. Please I beg you.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »

cover mechanics

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 03:48:54 PM »

More skill demanding gameplay. Tired of rpgs that require you to hold the x button down while your auto attacks do all the work. Make active play rewarding without being overly drawn out...like Xenosaga 2.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

Xenosaga 2 didn't have drawn out battles?
Did we play the same game?

By the time I hit the final dungeon of the game the non-boss battles were so long that I've had SRPGs with faster battle systems.

I'm all for complex, longer battles, but Xenosaga 2's was horrendous.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:19 PM »

things like Demon's Souls that give a new take with an old school feel.

I want games that present a constant threat with ever present AI. I want to feel like I did in Res Evil 2 not knowing when that guy would ruin my day.

that but over a huge world. Use the new 8gb of ram for more than just graphics, yo

I want more sci-fi RPGs that don't rely on blastin' away and psi-abilities. More detective style things with some good world building.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »

Xenosaga 2 didn't have drawn out battles?
Did we play the same game?

By the time I hit the final dungeon of the game the non-boss battles were so long that I've had SRPGs with faster battle systems.

I'm all for complex, longer battles, but Xenosaga 2's was horrendous.
Sorry, the way the sentence played out made it seem like Xenosaga 2's battles weren't terribly long and annoying for little to no real reward. Xenosaga 2 had a great concept with terrible execution...I mean seriously bad.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »

Oh, my bad.  Sorry!
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:16 PM »

PSX?

What? THIS is what you should have linked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF1rMSChlKw

i was thinking about something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AvErgY6HpX8#t=308s
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: