Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:04:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341222 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: What do you want out of PS4/XBone RPGs?  (Read 8426 times)
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »

Fast travel breaks immersion until you quit caring about immersion and just want to get to wherever you're tryna' go.

WE CAN'T SLAP AIRSHIPS ON EVERYTHING MESHGEARFOXD

Well duh, airships don't fit in to every world. That's why we have cryo-sleep spaceships, teleportation enabled wizards, giant robots that cover ground quickly, giant robots that can fly once you upgrade them or find out they're secretly an ancient relic and so clearly super advanced, and big talking birds that have nothing better to do than cart you around. Clearly these fit in everywhere and are always realistic and never make the plot questionable or break world immersion.

Don't forget things like Dragon Gods, Bird Gods, Hotair Balloons, Ocean Palaces that look like the Fourth Angel from NGE, Time Machines with wings slapped on, Floating Islands, Flying Rocks, Pterodactyls, Escape Pods, Air Bikes, Magic Brooms, Magic Carpets, Magic Beds, and so on.

Almost forgot flying cities and giant turtles.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2013, 12:46:38 AM »

Fast travel breaks immersion until you quit caring about immersion and just want to get to wherever you're tryna' go.

WE CAN'T SLAP AIRSHIPS ON EVERYTHING MESHGEARFOXD

Well duh, airships don't fit in to every world. That's why we have cryo-sleep spaceships, teleportation enabled wizards, giant robots that cover ground quickly, giant robots that can fly once you upgrade them or find out they're secretly an ancient relic and so clearly super advanced, and big talking birds that have nothing better to do than cart you around. Clearly these fit in everywhere and are always realistic and never make the plot questionable or break world immersion.

Don't forget things like Dragon Gods, Bird Gods, Hotair Balloons, Ocean Palaces that look like the Fourth Angel from NGE, Time Machines with wings slapped on, Floating Islands, Flying Rocks, Pterodactyls, Escape Pods, Air Bikes, Magic Brooms, Magic Carpets, Magic Beds, and so on.

Almost forgot flying cities and giant turtles.

Not that I forgot but that I could be here all day naming things. There are seriously a shitton of fast travel vehicles, especially if you start counting modes of transportation that are similar to other more common modes like flying cities but with enough distinctions to make a separate case for them lik flying cities you build yourself.

But if I were going to add a few more I'd name Giant Horsebirds of a particular color, the Wings on your back, Whichever Monster in your Pocket has the ability to Fly, Blinking Mirrors, Starships, Flying Submarines, Androids, and Cannons, and if we're covering Giant Turtles for sea travel then lets add Underwater Submarines, Hovercrafts, Land Buggies, Ice Drillers, Sabertooth Tigers, Tornadoes, Giant Rabbits, Jump Cuts, Flying Schools, Sail Boats with Starship engines strapped to them, Talking Sailboats, Wolf Forms, Ocarinas, Seeds, Giant Bubbles, Whirlpools, Moongates, Giant Flying Cats, Cloud Buses, Giant Walking Trees, Giant Walking Statues (not robots, just statues), Giant Plush Dolls, Motorcycles, and Tanks.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

Fast Travel kind of ruined Skyrim for me. I just couldn't NOT use it, you know? It should have been an option only available at cities or something.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »

Fast Travel kind of ruined Skyrim for me. I just couldn't NOT use it, you know? It should have been an option only available at cities or something.

What would you have been doing without fast travel, though? Walking through featureless and uninteresting terrain you'd seen a million times before?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »

I'm the exact opposite.  If I didn't have Skyrim, I would have been too disgusted to finish it.  I will always welcome fast travel as an option for open-world stuff.  If there's no fast-travel, then there should at least be methods of going super fast.  Like riding power lines in inFamous. 

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

It really sounds like most of us want design changes more than anything else.

What other kind of "changes" are there?
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »

If I didn't have Skyrim, I would have been too disgusted to finish it.

See I think this is funny as hell which WOULD be a good sign that I'm drunk except I'm not drunk so I'm probably just stupid.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2013, 06:03:26 AM »

I can kind of understand where you are coming from. I found myself looking at my compass running from one unknown location to another so I could fast travel to them later. Didn't even explore most of them which I probably would have if there was no fast travel.

I think open world games like The Elder Scrolls suffer from their dungeons. Daggerfall was randomly generated and could have horrible layouts. Morrowind suffered from a lot of the dungeons serving no purpose whatsoever. Oblivion probably had my least favourite dungeon layout of the previous three games. Skyrim had such potential. I loved my first three or four dungeons. They seemed handcrafted and some had puzzles. Then you realise that once you have explored one Draugr hell hole, you have explored them all.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2013, 10:48:19 AM »

LESS SOCIAL GAMES, MORE CO-OOOPP.

And less games for PUSSIES.
By that I mean the slew of JRPGs with super complicated and nuanced battle systems, then a cutscene featuring a loli being shy then a cute animal-mascot-thing squeeking, then a scene about boob sizes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »

SQUARE ENIX: WHAT!? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »

Most of Oblivion's dungeons took the same approach that Daggerfall did -- they were all created by a random level generator, that stitched them together out of set pieces, afaik -- although they weren't nearly as long or prone to having completely broken geometry that the quest target would fall through.

Proc gen and one-time-randomization sound attractive on paper because they let you make what looks like a huge amount of content, but you run into this problem where it's rarely worthwhile content, unless you have a REALLY elaborate system in place for generating stuff (or you're just using proc gen as an obtuse-but-elegant way to get around disk space limitations ala Exile).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2013, 07:53:12 PM »

Yeah, that's both HOW I reacted (Mesh) and WHAT I'm reacting to.

The high-injection of Anime in just the screenshots alone is enough to make me throw up and crap out genki-kawaii-desu-rainbows

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 12:12:23 AM »

Though to be perfectly honest, its pretty much the one series of theirs that actually deserves this treatment.

I just wish they weren't doing this to EVERYTHING.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 12:52:18 AM »

what do i want from next gen?

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 05:05:01 AM »

...Land Buggies, Ice Drillers...

I am so ashamed of myself. Those two. And Hydrofoils. This is what I want out of PS4.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: