Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 12:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327884 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Playstation Plus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playstation Plus  (Read 868 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »

I have been interested in Playstation Plus for a long time now and am thinking of subscribing to it. Before I do though, there are a few things I would like to know first. I have done some research on it but it is always safer to check if I am wrong on certain points. If someone who has Playstation Plus or has had it in the past could check if these points are correct, it would be great.

Having a 40 Gig PS3, storage space is pretty limited. I know that if you are no longer a member you cannot play the free games but is there a download limit? I would probably be deleting and downloading other games after a while. From what I have gathered you can redownload as much times as you want but I just want to be sure. This is probably the most important point for me.

I think that as long as you bring the games past the checkout you can redownload the games for free once they have lost their free status. Can someone confirm this or am I completely wrong?

I was thinking of getting the 90 daysubscription version and seeing if I liked it enough to perhaps get the year version if I liked it. Is there any reason not to do this?

From what I have seen over time, Playstation Plus seems almost too good to be true. The only catch I could see is that you have to stay subscribed to play the free games you already downloaded. Is there anything I am missing or is it just a great deal?

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »

Once you put the games in your cart and checkout and it's on your download list, you can redownload it whenever you want as long as you have plus, even when the game is no longer free. I don't see any reason not to get the full year as you'll need it for ps4 eventually anyways, but I don't think there's any disadvantage to just getting the 90 day one first. I'm loving the service thus far as they actually give games I want to play, sometimes too many games, I haven't finished little big planet 2 or the psn tomb raider game yet. If you only have a 40 gig hard drive, it's going to be a problem as some of the full price games are like 7 gigs.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »

Once you put the games in your cart and checkout and it's on your download list, you can redownload it whenever you want as long as you have plus, even when the game is no longer free. I don't see any reason not to get the full year as you'll need it for ps4 eventually anyways, but I don't think there's any disadvantage to just getting the 90 day one first. I'm loving the service thus far as they actually give games I want to play, sometimes too many games, I haven't finished little big planet 2 or the psn tomb raider game yet. If you only have a 40 gig hard drive, it's going to be a problem as some of the full price games are like 7 gigs.

Thanks for the reply, that confirmed a lot for me. Yeah, space is my largest issue overall. That is why redownloading is such an important thing for me. I have heard that you have to download the items at least once before that specific cycle of free games ends.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »

Consider snagging a 320gb drive to install.  PS3s take standard laptop drives and if you have a 32 or 64gb thumb drive, the backup process is cake.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »

kinda, you can just queue up the download and then cancel it.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:13 PM »

Awesome, that is even better than I expected. Thanks for the help Kof, you confirmed a lot of things for me. I actually ended up getting Plus today and so far, so good.

I might look into doing that John. Space has always been an issue for me and that would solve a lot of my problems. Thanks for the heads up.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »

I don't know how you managed to survive up to this point, I got like 200 gigs and I'm down to 30. Also, just the ME3 install datas like 6 gigs

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »

There's a "Game Data Utility" folder under the Games item in the crossbar.  The stuff in there is game installs, patches and such.  If you don't figure you'll be playing a game again (or at least not for a while), you can delete the stuff there without losing your saves or anything.  That's how I've managed. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

Awesome, that is even better than I expected. Thanks for the help Kof, you confirmed a lot of things for me. I actually ended up getting Plus today and so far, so good.

I might look into doing that John. Space has always been an issue for me and that would solve a lot of my problems. Thanks for the heads up.

Whatever drive you get, make sure it's a 7200 rpm drive.  It makes a difference, especially with fighting games.  Super Street Fighter IV runs way faster on my 750 GB than it did on that slow 5400 rpm el cheapo default hard drive in every PS3.  Matches start twice as fast.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: