Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 12:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338387 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV  (Read 15971 times)
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

If I get this game I'll probably deliberately die twice and restart on the Easy mode when it's unlocked as a result.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 05:00:08 PM »

I'M GOING TO LOSE MY FUCKING MIND IF ONE MORE GOD DAMN RANDOM ENCOUNTER COMES OUT OF FUCKING NO WHERE AND I GET KILLED BECAUSE OF THIS SHIT!!!!

*ahem*

I feel better now.  Had to vent that anger. 
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

Generally, making a party with each elemental weakness on your side is a pretty bad idea.

I think I'm going to focus on having a less elemental weaknesses as possible.

It's not even just hitting elemental weaknesses as, say, a boss hits hard, and has a high chance of getting criticals so it gets extra turns anyway. The best defense against that is Sukukaja just because it ups evasion and if they miss even in a critical barrage they lose a turn.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

Can people confirm that buffs make a significant different in this game like they did in Nocturne? I felt like in Strange Journey they weren't all that necessary.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

I usually stack buffs constantly in my SMT games, but I haven't really felt it as necessary here. I stuck Nocturne's broken Fog Breath onto my MC and haven't used it at all despite being two debuffs in one.  Even Tarukaja, my go-to, isn't really as, er, go-to.

Edit: Admittedly, this may be my own fault.  It's pretty easy to make a brokenly powerful magic-using MC without much effort.  He doesn't need buffs to dominate every boss.

Recommended fusion for everyone: Parvati.
She lasted me some 15 levels and still ended up with a higher magic stat than level ~40 demons by the time I retired her because her low HP started hurting her performance.

Also, if you like mages:
Code:
Save ~70 App points for when you hit 30 and you can buy a MP recovery while walking App for all of your demons.
This thing is so broken, you'll never run out of MP.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:57:28 PM by Cyril » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 06:03:13 PM »

Can't thank Atlus enough for putting the save anywhere feature in this game.  I would have quit by now if this feature wasn't in the game.

Hey, just got a new piece of armor.  Okay, so I'm weak to ice, but let's do this.

*Monster jumps out of a pond behind me and starts a fight*

Oh well, didn't have a chance to counter, but that's okay.

*Horde gets first attack and two moves per turn*

Hmmm, this could be tricky.

*Mabufu four times in a row*

....And my party is dead.  WTF!!!!!!??????

Just got to that fight myself. The Mabufu wasn't so much of a problem as a Lunge crit dropping my main character in one hit from full health which was immediately followed by my backup healer getting shredded and the rest of the fight turning into a damage race I almost won.

Also, Johnathan, you are so useless.

Also also, why is a hoard of fire weak demons not taking effective damage to fire spells yet they can still completely block ice and resist wind? I'm kinda regretting putting that dude with the swords stuck in him into a fusion since the physical resistance would be appreciated against all these crit happy motherfuckers.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2013, 06:26:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love this game.  Every once in a while I end up screaming at my 3DS because of some crazy horrible luck that gets me killed. 
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »

I think the Smirk system makes it more luck-based

Being ambushed is bad enough, but being ambushed, then having your weakness hit with a 2x damage attack is even worse. Hell, it doesn't even need to be a weakness, attacks can one-hit you even without it.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »

I usually stack buffs constantly in my SMT games, but I haven't really felt it as necessary here. I stuck Nocturne's broken Fog Breath onto my MC and haven't used it at all despite being two debuffs in one.  Even Tarukaja, my go-to, isn't really as, er, go-to.

Edit: Admittedly, this may be my own fault.  It's pretty easy to make a brokenly powerful magic-using MC without much effort.  He doesn't need buffs to dominate every boss.

Recommended fusion for everyone: Parvati.
She lasted me some 15 levels and still ended up with a higher magic stat than level ~40 demons by the time I retired her because her low HP started hurting her performance.

Also, if you like mages:
Code:
Save ~70 App points for when you hit 30 and you can buy a MP recovery while walking App for all of your demons.
This thing is so broken, you'll never run out of MP.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive but I'll take this suggestion of yours to heart. If I can make a SMT easier, believe me, I will. Especially regarding MP.

In my second run through P4, in Golden, I made sure to get the skill Victory Cry in the first chance I got and I don't regret it one bit.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:25:20 PM by Farron » Logged

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2013, 09:23:03 PM »

Also going to save for that. And it's really not just mages since physical attacks don't use hp anymore. Really the practically no mp physical types could probably make the most out of it.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2013, 09:32:10 PM »

Just a kinda-sorta forewarning: You may need to buy the first two Apps in the series (pretty clearly named, so it's obvious which they are).  I'm not positive, maybe someone can confirm.  But honestly, even as a physical character I'd probably already have bought the first two Apps just for my MC's longevity.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »

I am a little disappointed that physical attacks don't use HP anymore. I liked that aspect, and it made the most sense. Also, the risk involved with using a physical attack was part of the fun.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »

Yeah, the beginning area has a really big spike, there's no curve at all, but it eases up as you progress.  I also found the first boss to be by far the hardest so far, with ~15 hours of play time. I think my husband is getting ready to tear the 3DS from my hands at this point.

Are you referring to the Hooded Man encounters or that demon plant lady at the end of the quest? Because I
Code:
demolished the latter of the two with three fire users and a defensive debuff in the first go (actually, I demolished the Hooded Man's second encounter on my second go at him due to press turning my way though the first fight in less than a turn giving me a massive head start on the second phase).

As for optimized App builds, I'd go for the extra skill slots on you and your demons first since they give you more abilities to work with which is great for fusions and general utility. Also, you're mandated to pick up the Scout App which costs 1AP to complete the tutorial mission so you'll need an extra level to hit the necessary App Points needed for the Move MP Up App. Of course, by the time the Move MP Up App shows up you'll probably be able to buy either the Magic or Agility Level +1 App to help get more millage out of levels which is probably the better choice earlier on.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »

Code:
I considered Alraune more of a mini-boss, but I suppose it could be considered the first boss. Yeah, I tore her up.
I was talking about Minotaur, though.

I ended up getting  my MP movement around level 35 because I did exactly that: focused on the stat boosts first - though I went with Strength and Magic, because I'm pretty peculiar about my turn orders and the Agility one can mess that up a bit.  Still, it's a stupidly useful App ability and I'd probably recommend getting it before 40.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2013, 12:21:16 PM »

I am a little disappointed that physical attacks don't use HP anymore. I liked that aspect, and it made the most sense. Also, the risk involved with using a physical attack was part of the fun.
With how there's much more risk of dying by the enemies getting extra Press Turns and lucky Critical Hits...

Well, Defense isn't a stat anymore. Feels a bit weird with that in mind.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: