Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:58:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327192 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV  (Read 11460 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

My wife got this game and she said it is destroying her. I, for one, have never taken interest in the core SMT series because, at least with Nocturne, I never felt that there was enough story to keep stringing me along. Same with Strange Journey. How is this game with regard to the story--do you get a relatively constant flow of information, or does it just sort of trickle in intermittently like in Nocturne?

It's pretty cool that the press turn system is back though. It's probably one of my favorite battle systems.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54:44 PM »

All right - I feel really dumb,  but what do you do after you go through the Counter Defense Base (Or whatever it's called). Isabeau tells you to find a town with more people, I go up to Mikado and all they tell you is 'MORE QUESTS!' and then I went to Ikkeburro and met with this woman and a flame wall I can't get past. I'm honestly not sure where to go next! :)

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »

@Lucca:
Code:
You need the Jirae Talisman to get past the flames. You get that by going to Shinjuku and accepting the quest to eliminate the demon that is in the government office building. After you do that take the Jirae Talisman to Ikkeburo and the flames should disapear. :)

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2013, 07:17:14 PM »

@Lucca:
Code:
You need the Jirae Talisman to get past the flames. You get that by going to Shinjuku and accepting the quest to eliminate the demon that is in the government office building. After you do that take the Jirae Talisman to Ikkeburo and the flames should disapear. :)

Code:
Aaah! Cool! Just need to find Shinjuku then! Thanks a bunch!

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:52 PM »

So anyone know (or know where to find lists) what early to mid game demons have skills worth levelling them up for? At first I was levelling them all up, but now I am getting and fusing them faster than I can level them up (without becoming massively overlevelled myself).
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

Man, I am just loving this game more and more.  Being able to select the skills for my demons after fusion is a godsend.  I'm storming through higher level areas with my party because I've kitted them out for maximum press turn efficiency (huge variety of spells mixed with lots of buffs for bosses).  The difficulty has kinda eased up as well.  I can still end up wiped on a bad set of press turns, but overall I have way more options and that's making the game so much more fun than Nocturne, IMO.  It really seems like Atlus has learned a lot from their other series and incorporated the best parts into SMT4. 
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »

Is there some sort of escape rope / town portal item in this game that I just have not found?  I get to bosses with less than half mp (not surprising, every skill costs mp).  I then need to backtrack to a town / terminal, heal, then run back to the boss room without using any skills so as to be ready to fight the boss?  I feel like I have to be doing something wrong as I haven't read anyone else commenting on this demon's souls the first mechanic.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »

I've mixed feelings. I think, overall, I'm a bit disappointed.  It's not a bad game by any means, it's certainly very good, it's just not exactly what I was hoping for.

I prefer the atmospheric and more subtle storytelling of Nocturne, which felt like the story was created as catered to my tastes exactly, or even SJ; I prefer the story and story direction of SMT2.  From a gameplay perspective I think IV is definitely smoothest, however, I absolutely abhor Smirks and I feel like the battle system in general needed a few more weeks/months of smoothing and rebalancing.  You can beat almost every late-game boss with one ability; Party MP walk is so utterly broken that any self-restraint is pointless.  And, as mentioned, I feel like the change from HP to MP for physical abilities seems very strange.

And no, I don't think there's an escape route.  You'll get an App ability later that stops you from having MP issues, though.

That said, and these are pretty major story spoilers:
Code:
That entire duo of apocalypse sections after the first time you side with Walter/Jonathan was pretty amazing.
I was silently squealing in joy the entire time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:42:38 PM by Cyril » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »

Ugh, one thing I have problems with is the ridiculous methods you need to resort to to progress. At multiple points the game won't let you progress unless you do one of the following:

1. Wander around until you trip a story cutscene
2. Answer a question correctly by typing in EXACTLY what the game wants; hope you remembered that name you saw in passing two hours ago!
3. Doing challenge quests until you've done enough to continue to the next story sequence

In addition, the quests have absolutely no direction to them; they tell you to go somewhere, but never tell you the general location of the area. I've wasted many an hour looking for exactly the right area to go to, only to have to resort to looking it up on a Japanese wiki. I realize a lot of these are inherently part of the challenge to a SMT game, but honestly I can't help but feel that the game is actively working against me by forcing me to do things based on rote memorization and repetitive tasks, rather than challenging me by using clever game mechanics or logic puzzles.

It's a shame because other than this major problem I fucking love the game otherwise. The battles are fun and challenging, the retooled demon designs are amazing (especially the 'big four'), and the aesthetics are really great.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »

Agreed on the quest/main plot progression and especially the smirk system.  It can be infuriating to lose a battle because the opposition crits, gains smirk, and is impervious to attacks during your next round.  I really wish the smirk defense would go away after the first successful dodge.  I think the smirk thing is the developers way of keeping things interesting.  It saved my ass on one boss fight when my MC smirked at the end of every round and stayed alive the whole time. 
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2013, 06:16:15 AM »

I've about run out of patience for this game.

THe most recent development in the story ground to a halt when I was forced to do challenge quests so I could proceed. After a morning of doing quests I am still not allowed to go on. The only ones I have now are ones where I have to run around looking for relics and one where it's a optional superboss who keeps kicking my ass.

This is not good design. I don't mind sidequests that require exploration and I don't mind story pacing issues, but DON'T INTERTWINE THE TWO. This is doubly frustrating because I'm ostensibly at the endgame sequence and I have to hold off because the developers decided they needed to pad the game.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »

Related to the annoyance about quest progression in the main storyline:

Code:
If you go neutral route, you must do every single Challenge quest to progress in the story, since you need top Quest rank.

Every one.

I don't even know what they were thinking in that one.

Edit: Or I can't read at all, apparently.  It seems that's where you're at, haha. Oops.

I actually went Chaos first, so I admit I didn't have to deal with that bullshit.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:49:18 AM by Cyril » Logged
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »

The MP walk app was in Strange Journey too, though. There was even HP walk skills to make sure you were pretty much refreshed before going into any battle. I don't like when these things are seen as negatives, because they're optional. No one is forcing you to use them, as tempting as they are.

After spending more time with the new Fusion app, I think I can say I do actually prefer out from past fusion screens. I love the new search options. Before, I wouldn't even bother we doing multiple fusions to get a specific demon of a specific race, but the new search options make this much more reasonable, especially when you add demons from your compendium into the search.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:52:05 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »

After spending more time with the new Fusion app, I think I can say I do actually prefer out from past fusion screens. I love the new search options. Before, I wouldn't even bother we doing multiple fusions to get a specific demon of a specific race, but the new search options make this much more reasonable, especially when you add demons from your compendium into the search.

The new options ARE good, it just feels like they cut out the baseline functionality for it and it's baffling. I'd like to be able to just pick two damn demons on a chart and see what I get when I want to offload some now crappy low level ones. Having that as an option in addition to the new ones would've worked just fine.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »

The new options ARE good, it just feels like they cut out the baseline functionality for it and it's baffling. I'd like to be able to just pick two damn demons on a chart and see what I get when I want to offload some now crappy low level ones. Having that as an option in addition to the new ones would've worked just fine.

I hear that there is a "fusion light" app that makes fusion akin to what it used to be, but I'm not very far into the game yet that I can say.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: