Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:31:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338703 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV  (Read 16102 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 04:03:27 PM »

The quest mechanics really bother me, too.  I don't even know what they were thinking with them, because the restriction is silly.  It's not like my random side quest is in the way of the main quest - it's not even in the same area!

More minor of a complaint, but I'm finding the AI popping up in the middle of story conversations to be really annoying, even distracting.

That said, I was extremely happy to finally see some 3D NPC models roaming about instead of having them as 2D the entire game.  Also

Code:
Love the atmosphere once you finally get down to Tokyo.  This is what I've been waiting for!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:06:32 PM by Cyril » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

I haven't encountered the death mechanics yet, but the save anywhere thing sure is nice.

We talked about this yesterday, but having spent more time, I can appreciate your frustration with the camera but honestly can't say I've had that problem. You can hear enemies spawning, and all you have to do to spin around is press back and hit the B button.

Quest-wise, the system is weird. I don't really like it. It strikes me that they did it because they were like 'OH WE ARE ON A HANDHELD SO WE MUST MAKE BITESIZE.' I haven't had any real issues with it, but I still think it makes the game feel more compartmentalized than it does.

And I don't mind the AI, but she is incredibly chatty and doesn't really... add anything to the conversation.

Overall, I'm enjoying it. It's way easier than earlier games in the series, which I don't like, but I also don't expect everyone to enjoy "playing very hard on Persona 4"-level of difficulty and time demands.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »

I hate the quest blackboard. It's so random. Burroughs says "I'll log these quests" and I'm like, what fricken quests. This isn't a quest blackboard it's an annoying irrelevant leaderboard. I got 1st place in something once and I got...nothing!

I dunno, it's just not the best feature of the game.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »

On the subject of that particular mini-boss spoilered earlier. . .

Code:
That Nocturne "Demons" battle theme remix!  Was not expecting that.  Even with headphones on,
I'm a bit sad about the overall sound quality, because that was a pleasant surprise.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »

I'm seeing a lot of complaints...

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, I'm loving it quite a bit and it is saving me from my ARR withdrawal symptoms. There are just some strange, minor issues. 
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game, I'm loving it quite a bit and it is saving me from my ARR withdrawal symptoms. There are just some strange, minor issues. 

It's saving me from Metal Gear Rising withdrawal symptoms.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »

Ha, it does have that negative slant doesn't it? I think it looks even more like that cause the conversation is split in half.

It's a very good game and it has only been getting better since I got to Tokyo. It's got a lot in common with Strange Journey.

The quest board complaint of mine is just a bit nit-picky. It's nothing compared to the scale of the game.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 06:16:01 PM »

I am insanely jealous of you all right now.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 08:56:23 PM »

I really like Burroughs, though.

I chuckle when something as simple as "To the Roof" is marked as a quest. I'm waiting the "To the Bathroom" quest, if there's any.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »

I love a lot of the new demons. I'm sure some of them may have shown up in SMT 1-2 or SJ, but they are new to me. Also, I'm pretty stoked Pixie aint your first demon.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

Classic Eusis... create a new topic after people have been discussing it forever on another page

Perhaps I should've done it earlier, but the game just came out, was a big enough deal, and at least in the last few pages I couldn't find an older SMTIV topic, so a new one primarily talking about playing the game rather than being part of general MegaTen discussion seemed like a good idea.

... About 8 hours in, stuck on
Medusa. I get that I need to use wind spells, but I keep getting wrecked so I think I'll need to do some recruiting + fusing. And see if there's any good resistive/null armor for lightning.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »

Yup, that's a hard one, Eusis.  I think I just got lucky on my third time.

Ran into the same problem I always run into with these games.  Got a boss that uses a specific type of attack and ALL of my current demons are weak to it (and no one in my stock is high enough level to fight effectively).  I know, shame on me, but I have almost no fusion options right now and I'm going to have to backtrack to recruit some guys.  Really frustrating. 
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »

Game get!

I should probably get on this right away to take advantage of the currently free DLC.

Also, there are like no physical copies of this at all around here. I ended up getting stupidly lucky and found one right off the bat. At least I got it and can now start saving up for Tales of Xillia.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »

Have my copy. Just need to finish the third endings for Muramasa (almost done!) and then I'll switch to this =)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: