Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327325 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV  (Read 11559 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »

Oh god, this game can become brutal in a blink of an eye just like Persona 4 and its floors!

Seriously, I defeated a major boss and it throws me another one literally ten minutes later?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2013, 12:46:32 AM »

I've died more times in the beginning areas of this game on normal difficulty than I have playing Nocturne on hard mode.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2013, 01:03:58 AM »

Yeah, the beginning area has a really big spike, there's no curve at all, but it eases up as you progress.  I also found the first boss to be by far the hardest so far, with ~15 hours of play time. I think my husband is getting ready to tear the 3DS from my hands at this point.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »

Yeah, the beginning area has a really big spike, there's no curve at all, but it eases up as you progress.  I also found the first boss to be by far the hardest so far, with ~15 hours of play time. I think my husband is getting ready to tear the 3DS from my hands at this point.
...Seriously? 15 hours? He's doing something wrong somewhere.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:26 AM »

This is my favourite game of the year so far. Aesthetically and mechanically it really is an amazing engrossing experience. My favourite thing is the very natural and clever divide between the peaceful and orderly Mikado being Menu driven and battle-free and the chaotic wild west of Tokyo being a convoluted maze filled with danger (and treasure!) around every turn. I also like that Johnathon and Walter's alignment are reflected in their upbringing, it just makes a lot of sense.

Things that are neat:
The stat tracking is fun.
The demon parentage tacking is even more fun. I used to track this in my head, now it is much easier.
The death effects are awesome and hilarious and they haven't gotten old yet.
Skill inheritance is much improved over Magatama.
Exploring is extremely exciting.
Johnathon is my bro.
I've had no problems with money or difficulty. Strange Journey is much harder in both respects. It might be harder than Nocturne though, hard to say.

I'll list my gripes later. For one they are more difficult to express and two I want to stay hyped about this game. Also Minotaur was the hardest boss for me.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 03:39:17 AM »

..Seriously? 15 hours? He's doing something wrong somewhere.

Er, as in not tearing the 3DS from my hands already?  You'd probably be right in that regard.

I think you misunderstand me.  I'm the one at 15 hours, but I'm much, much farther than that.  I was just saying in my own experience the first boss has been the hardest. 
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »

Strange Journey is harder? I thought Strange Journey was rather easy. I didn't even die in the early stages of Strange Journey, but here I've died at least 4 or 5 times already and I'm an SMT veteran. In Strange Journey, the fact that enemies couldn't also use team attacks against you made it much easier. Here, the enemies can get press turns and smirk, making them much more deadly.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the way they organized the demon fusion UI? It's a pain in the ass just to select two demons I want to fuse together. Being able to search for fusion is cool and all, but having nothing but a list of recommended fusion choices and not allowing me to pick and choose which demons I want to fuse is annoying.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the way they organized the demon fusion UI? It's a pain in the ass just to select two demons I want to fuse together. Being able to search for fusion is cool and all, but having nothing but a list of recommended fusion choices and not allowing me to pick and choose which demons I want to fuse is annoying.

I somewhat agree. It seems they focused too much on the recommended fusions and less on picking your own fusions, and creating your own fusion now is somewhat of a hassle. It should have been the other way around.

I like seeing my list of demons right away that I can pick and choose from, just like every other SMT game before this.

Hm, I thought having an extra NPC ally on my team would prove useful, but instead they were the reason I lost >_<
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:27:53 AM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2013, 11:13:12 AM »

I just wanted to let you know in the beginning of the game, Charon and I were best friends! <3

I'm really just starting to explore Tokyo. I like this game a lot so far - really addicting. I'm having more fun in this game than I did in Strange Journey. I enjoy the exploration and the characters a whole lot more.

I agree with others that the demon fusion screen is frustrating. Why do I have to press Y TWICE just so I can choose my own summons. Atlus, why!?

I'm also trying to figure out Isabeau's alignment. I can tell Jonathan's and Walter's right off the bat, but is Isabeau supposed to be neutral?

Code:
Though I'm trying to figure out why Isabeau didn't turn into a daemon by reading manga.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2013, 11:55:13 AM »

I just wanted to let you know in the beginning of the game, Charon and I were best friends! <3

I'm really just starting to explore Tokyo. I like this game a lot so far - really addicting. I'm having more fun in this game than I did in Strange Journey. I enjoy the exploration and the characters a whole lot more.

I agree with others that the demon fusion screen is frustrating. Why do I have to press Y TWICE just so I can choose my own summons. Atlus, why!?

I'm also trying to figure out Isabeau's alignment. I can tell Jonathan's and Walter's right off the bat, but is Isabeau supposed to be neutral?

Code:
Though I'm trying to figure out why Isabeau didn't turn into a daemon by reading manga.

Charon? Who's that?

That said, I'd assume that since Isabeau is the female lead, and as per tradition, is therefor going with you to the endgame no matter what route you take.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2013, 12:35:19 PM »

Charon? Who's that?

That said, I'd assume that since Isabeau is the female lead, and as per tradition, is therefor going with you to the endgame no matter what route you take.

1) Die in-game and you'll know Charon.

2) So should we start the Atsubro trend with Isabeau and call her Isabro (Sistabeau)?

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »

Can't thank Atlus enough for putting the save anywhere feature in this game.  I would have quit by now if this feature wasn't in the game.

Hey, just got a new piece of armor.  Okay, so I'm weak to ice, but let's do this.

*Monster jumps out of a pond behind me and starts a fight*

Oh well, didn't have a chance to counter, but that's okay.

*Horde gets first attack and two moves per turn*

Hmmm, this could be tricky.

*Mabufu four times in a row*

....And my party is dead.  WTF!!!!!!??????
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:24:16 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »

Yeah, I was somewhat hesitant about them doing that at first, but with the way this game is balanced it had to be done. Though I do think that's probably it's biggest problem: it's not so much that it's JUST hard as that there's an absurd amount of luck to be factored in, sometimes you're steamrolling, then sometimes THEY steamroll instead. Feels like building a good party HELPS, but not a mostly solid path to victory.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

Generally, making a party with each elemental weakness on your side is a pretty bad idea.

I think I'm going to focus on having a less elemental weaknesses as possible.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: