Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei IV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei IV  (Read 14264 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »

Aside from Persona 3 and 4 all of the SMT I've played I would consider a little grindy, especially when it comes to money. At least this time we have the DLC that makes us rich.
Talking about it, anyone got it and think it's worth it or somewhat helpful? I'm still waiting for my game and since I have some credit on my 3DS I'm leaning on getting it. If anything I want the freedom to fuse whatever demons I want without having to look at a guide and no fear of screwing up.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »

It's very useful but not really necessary. SMT actually isn't very grindy; I've gotten my ass handed to me at level 99 because of my setup. Having the right abilities is very important.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2013, 11:53:16 PM »

I'm very seriously considering the DLC... for replays. For now I'm not touching it at all however, and there's a good chance I'd only get the AP one as that's a finite resource, nevermind that some of those APPs are only really worth getting earlier than later.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2013, 01:34:46 AM »

Is it wrong that I really really like the first possible ending? 
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »

After a certain point, this free guide becomes obsolete and doesn't tell you everything you can do. Damn you, Prima Guides!

But no matter, I have Tetrakarn and its sibling spell to pull me through.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »

I just got to Tokyo: OMG.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:33:15 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »

After a certain point, this free guide becomes obsolete and doesn't tell you everything you can do. Damn you, Prima Guides!

Yeah, I told this to Rob, but Tetrakarn + Makarakarn basically win the game for you. A single reflected attack completely negates the enemy's turn. It almost feels broken, haha.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 24, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

Yeah, I told this to Rob, but Tetrakarn + Makarakarn basically win the game for you. A single reflected attack completely negates the enemy's turn. It almost feels broken, haha.
Yet, I have a feeling enemies will suddenly start using the strongest Almighty spells very soon for some reason...

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »

Erm, item question.

Code:
I just got Torifune's Shawl from Ametarasu. It says I can use it to fly across Tokyo, but I'm not sure how I do it

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »

Pretty much.  I was referring to that in one of my posts earlier, it's broken. There were at least 2-3 bosses that I killed them entirely with it.  One of the harder optional bosses has good AI that actually starts spamming Megidoloan every turn if you put both spells on, and then bosses start using things like Antichthon and Makarakarn becomes slightly less useful.  But still, incredibly powerful and useful.

About the item question above:
Code:
There are certain places on the world map where you can liftoff and land.  The easiest one to get to,
in my opinion, is just south of Tennozu.

Also, I'm done with these Fiends. This encounter rate is bullshit.  Broken, even.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:49:32 PM by Cyril » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »

Some of the last bosses require more luck than anything else.  I watched a youtube video of one in particular, and the player just got lucky that the stupid boss kept using a regular attack with the physical barrier up.  I tried to do that and got walloped with magic spells.  Changed my tactic to block magic and ended up getting hammered with almighty spells.  Maybe the guy was playing on easy, I don't know, but I was able to beat the boss with a lot of luck and patience (well, not much patience as I was basically screaming my head off for an hour at the bastard).  The last boss on chaos is actually quite easy... unless he spams an unblockable attack that can ruin your whole damn day.  Needless to say, beating the game this afternoon wasn't exactly fun.  Feel like I need a cigarette and I've never even smoked before.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:34:36 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2013, 04:54:23 AM »

In regards to that, buff/debuff spells are VERY useful in SMT. One Luster Candy and one Debilitate/War Cry is enough to tip the scales overwhelmingly in your favor.

Also, Rob, I liked the 'bad end' a lot myself.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2013, 05:36:43 AM »

In regards to that, buff/debuff spells are VERY useful in SMT. One Luster Candy and one Debilitate/War Cry is enough to tip the scales overwhelmingly in your favor.

Speaking of which I've finally run afoul of
Code:
the Minotaur. First attempt ended as soon as I tried a fire spell (turns out Minotaurs repel fire). Second attempt ended with me figuring out why I don't want to have my entire party afflicted with sick and no items/spells to heal it. Third attempt ended with the Minotaur in critical (too bad my Centaur ran out of MP and couldn't keep up the Bufu pressure; I tried to switch him out and the replacement got wrecked). And my fourth attempt ended similarly despite me knowing the correct answers to the Minotaur's questions this time (my Centaur kept getting wrecked by the Minotaur's multi attacks which seemed to be entirely drawn to him).

For reference, my Centaur isn't my only Bufu user (and no, I'm not referring to my main character of the NPC support), but he has the best durability out of all my demons (nearly 200 HP) and the other Bufu user would rather be buffing defense instead (I also have a Harpy that can buff evade which is quite useful for as long as I can keep it going).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »

. . .Until the bosses start using Dekaja and Luster Candy themselves.

Hello, Riders. The White one alone uses it three times in his attack round sometimes.

But yeah, they're nice spells.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

I knew it! Tetrakarn and Makarakarn becomes a hit or miss once enemies start using a lot of Almighty spells.

And to add insult to the injury,
Code:
they went ahead and added Almighty spells with status ailments!

EDIT: WELL, this game has become a lot crazier than I thought it would get, because it doesn't seem like this looks like Jonathan's Law Route anymore...and I mean that because
Code:
Walter isn't that antagonistic as I thought, and suddenly I'm saving people from a desert region with poison just to go activate the Yamato Reactor once more to end up in a society where demons have humans as slaves for food. Is this STILL Jonathan's Law Route? Please just respond with a Yes with no explanation, but if not with a No and what route I'm in.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:41:37 PM by AuraChannelerChris » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: