Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:29:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330126 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)  (Read 4325 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

This comes pretty close to topping what TK did with Atelier Totori, though this was at least a few minutes in advance and they said it was coming out this year. Nice timing with the $30 SMT4/FE deal though!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »

For fucks sake when can we have a next gen sequel of earthbound? I will forgive everything Nintendo has ever done wrong if they just made a fucking sequel already. Mother 3 doesn't count since we had to all use underhanded means to play (and understand) it.

TASTY!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »

For fucks sake when can we have a next gen sequel of earthbound? I will forgive everything Nintendo has ever done wrong if they just made a fucking sequel already. Mother 3 doesn't count since we had to all use underhanded means to play (and understand) it.

The creator of the Mother series says that there won't be any sequels after the third game.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:47:42 PM »

The creator of the Mother series says that there won't be any sequels after the third game.

Yeah he has said that multiple times for years now.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »

I just want a remake of Mother 3. Was there any objection to that?

Anyways, I bought this as soon as I got home...I may have to sideline SMT4 for a while, while I power through this. I'll admit, I've never really played more than 30 minutes of this game before, and it's surprisingly better than I remember. Which is saying a lot.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »

Well, he's said he's open to someone else making Mother 4, but I think to do that justice you'd have to get someone outside of games again that has the capacity for telling this kind of odd story, and the closest that comes to mind is Haruki Murakami. Otherwise I'd rather just see an updated release (NOT remade, the sprite work is fantastic) on 3DS or whatever.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »

I really want a WiiU for VC alone... but I already pre-ordered the PS4 AND I have 10000 games to play already :(

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:54:45 PM »

And along with Earthbound, Shantae is available on DS virtual console today as well.  Great, because I loved that game but don't have my GBC cart any more so now I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it. 

Yeah, I'm a Shantae fanboy. 

Ness and Shantae= 1-2 punch today.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »

Shantae is available on DS virtual console

>:| NINTENDO STOP TEMPTING ME WITH YOUR DELICIOUS CLAMSHELL TOUCHPOD.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »

I just want a remake of Mother 3. Was there any objection to that?

No... not that I remember.

Which reminds me of this thing made by fans I've seen of Mother 3 in the same style as The Wind Waker. It looks really cool and I would to see Nintendo take idea and do something with it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »

Christ it doesn't have to be a sequel, but why can't we get an Earthbound style game released in this day and age? Silly humor, modern day aspects, giant slime piles, an oddly alien yet benevolent race of strange beings who know everything and have a single word used as more of a gag than an actual term....damnit I want more Mr. Saturn!

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

My favorite part of Earthbound was how it went from silly to understatedly creepy to existential terror without the player even really NOTICING.

I think that requires more subtlety than game writers can generally muster.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »

Christ it doesn't have to be a sequel, but why can't we get an Earthbound style game released in this day and age? Silly humor, modern day aspects, giant slime piles, an oddly alien yet benevolent race of strange beings who know everything and have a single word used as more of a gag than an actual term....damnit I want more Mr. Saturn!

There was Contact for DS, but I wasn't overly fond of that game. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

I think I'm screwed until The Stick of Truth is out. According to Trey Parker, Earthbound was a major influence in their direction of the game.

TASTY!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »

There was Contact for DS, but I wasn't overly fond of that game. 

Contact was riddled with flaws, but that ending really did leave me wanting a sequel to it. :\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: