Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319164 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)  (Read 3418 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 01:51:40 AM »

More than any other aspect of it, the reason Earthbound wins out so much for me is because I enjoy just exploring the game world. It has a strong sense of place -- much more so than in nearly any other console RPG from that era. It's not that there's a lot of stuff to interact with in the game world, but every area conveys such a strong /mood/ that just moving through it feels meaningful. There's a very personal feeling to it, too.

(Maybe that's why I liked Contact so much, though -- it really gave me that too. The extent to which I enjoy moving through a game world really impacts my enjoyment of it).

I do want to note, to anyone who hasn't played the game before, that you don't need to grind at all after the first boss fight, and status attacks are useful on bosses. It's not a terribly difficult game if you apply a little strategy to it. Jeff's items are also quite useful (although Paula and Poo's personal skills, generally, aren't so much, which is the one thing I find really regrettable about the game). The battle system's really simple, but it's fast, and a lot of the enemies have unique... attack names/behaviors. They have personality.

Earthbound's also has my favorite audio in any RPG. Not just the soundtrack but the sound effects, even, and fuck I'm getting nostalgiasad now.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 03:09:31 PM »

Playing Earthbound, will make me want to play Opoona again.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 03:46:43 AM »

Ooh.  I loved Opoona, a sadly under rated game.  I missed Earthbound the first time around but have always heard nothing but good things about it.  My WiiU has been collecting dust of late so I need a reason to use it it. 

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 01:47:08 PM »

Ooh.  I loved Opoona, a sadly under rated game.  I missed Earthbound the first time around but have always heard nothing but good things about it.  My WiiU has been collecting dust of late so I need a reason to use it it. 

So happy that there is another fan of Opoona!  I just love the charm of the game and that's why it reminds me of Earthbound.  Also, that damn beautiful soundtrack from Sakimoto, Iwata and the rest of Basiscape.  It has a familiar Phantasy Star Online sound to it.

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 03:03:24 PM »

I can't believe people are paying $10 for a romdump.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »

I can believe it. I pay ridiculous amounts of money to enjoy playing my games exactly how I want to play them knowing full well there are more cost effective ways to go about it. This is no different. Rewind a few years and the whole reason I got Wii in the first place was because Secret of Mana became available for download.

Some folk just are not comfortable, willing, or know how to go about playing via less "legitimate" methods. This makes me happy because in the end it helps deflate the price of original carts/discs/games for collectors (such as myself).

For the vast majority of consumers, a 10 dollar romdump being available for download right on their system is a godsend in contrast to the price tag of an original SNES cart if said consumer even has a working SNES (which they probably dont).

Now the price tags that are associated with certain titles, not available for DL on any network astounds me a bit.. yet I pay those prices begrudgingly as well. Reference: Suikoden 2 anyone?

We can't take our coinage with us and I can think of quite a few worse ways to blow 10 buck than on earthbound..... hell, I can walk down to convenient and blow 10 buck on a midnight snack that would yield nothing but a tummy ache. And while cheese flavored Puf n' Corn, a donut and chocolate milk may be tasty, it won't prove nearly as inspiring as a playthrough of one of the best RPG's to grace the 16 bit era.

But what really gets me is the amount I spent on Tales of Graces outfits. I bought em all. For those who don't know, it ran me more then the game itself.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

I share my thoughts with Jeremy Parish on this subject. I'll let him respond for me.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

Personally, this game is worth $10. I can't buy it since I don't own a Wii-U, but I think anyone that hasn't played it should do so; it would be well worth their time and money. I would have liked to see a portable version along with the Wii-U version, but what are you going to do?

Large sales of Earthbound probably won't mean anything new for the series, however. I'm pretty sure it's dead.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »

It's not even their standard price of an SNES game though. Nintendo is literally nickle and diming for $2 more. There's no cross platform support or account system or cloud saves or anything. Literally a complete romdump of a nearly 20 year old game with nearly zero effort.

Why Nintendo gets a free pass, I do not know.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 08:40:41 AM »

It's not even their standard price of an SNES game though. Nintendo is literally nickle and diming for $2 more. There's no cross platform support or account system or cloud saves or anything. Literally a complete romdump of a nearly 20 year old game with nearly zero effort.

Nintendo's been watching their ebay auctions, they know how much us morons would pay for this game brand new...

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 08:44:31 AM »

Some people I've spoken to have compared this to SMT4, which I don't agree with at all; SMT4 was a new game. Earthbound was, as you said, a ROM dump with a emulator shell. It may be honest to God worth $10, but compared to their existing pricing structure, it doesn't come off as anything but price gouging.

ethangach

greenlemonade001
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:02 AM »

Wait, it doesn't actually have integrated Wii U support? Just the manual that's viewable on the gamepad?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

I guess we'll see what the sales say in the end. It may turn out that people don't care that it was $10 and a rom dump. There are very few people that I've noticed on forums or message boards complaining "Oh, I can just play this on an emulator for free."

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 02:59:17 PM »

It would have been nice to see a version of Earthbound in the 3DS shop since I don't have a Wii-U, but whatever.  Spending $5 on Shantae for a nostalgia trip on the 18th when Earthbound dropped (that and I didn't want to shell out collector prices; same as Earthbound) was something I didn't mind doing.  I mean, hell, the whole "romdump" argument could be made for almost any game re-released on PSN or VC or whatever.  I was happy to drop $5.99 on Legend of Dragoon. 

The hopeless optimist in me wants to say that enough people shell out for Earthbound, maybe that will get Nintendo's attention that, yes, the series is more than just a cult thing but can actually bring in some revenue. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »

"rom dump" or not, people are excited. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/feature_earthbound_captivates_miiverse

"A good barometer of a game's impact nowadays can also be found on Miiverse, and the EarthBound community is already up to nearly 20,000 active members, already making it one of the most popular Virtual Console areas of the network. What's also striking, when browsing posts, is just how much the current Wii U audience is enjoying the title and its quirky dynamics. It's a unique experience, which is going down well."

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: