Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 09:48:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)  (Read 4744 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »

I guess we'll see what the sales say in the end. It may turn out that people don't care that it was $10 and a rom dump. There are very few people that I've noticed on forums or message boards complaining "Oh, I can just play this on an emulator for free."

It's not really about being able to pirate it or not, it's about adding a sense of value and effort in an older product. We all have a sense of what we feel value is worth to us as gamers. Earthbound is a case of Nintendo toeing the line by increasing the standardized price.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »

There's many possible reasons it got raised, whether licensing of some sort, because they made that online viewer for the guide, or just because they saw an opportunity, but admittedly VC prices probaby needed more variability all along as some can argued as worthy of a higher cost, and likewise some really should be only $1.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »

It's not that reasonable to give corporations the benefit of the doubt, especially for things like price increases. I agree that prices need more variability. I'm not against the reselling of roms by Nintendo. I just think they should include the new baseline of services, at the very least being account-linked instead of console-linked with the ability to use that rom between devices.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 04:37:59 PM »

Hmm, should I do the Rock Candy trick? Hopefully it doesn't make my Wii U explode or something.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

Hmm, should I do the Rock Candy trick? Hopefully it doesn't make my Wii U explode or something.
...why would it? Not like you really even need it. Last time I used it was to bring Jeff's IQ up for quicker fixing stuff. I once buffed the shit out of Paula's hp doing it though, she had more health than Poo though Ness was in quadruple digits.

TASTY!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 12:35:12 AM »

So here's my accomplishment of the day. Some spoilers before the seventh melody to make it a little vague but subtle.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAABnUV52vrIRDg

I GOT THE DAMNED SWORD OF KINGS.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

So here's my accomplishment of the day. Some spoilers before the seventh melody to make it a little vague but subtle.

Awesome! I've played through EB many times and I think I only ever got the Sword of Kings once. So rare

"Oh, a hunter..."
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »

Awesome! I've played through EB many times and I think I only ever got the Sword of Kings once. So rare
1/128 drop rate off an enemy that appears for literally 5 minutes in the game unless you grind in the area...rare doesn't begin to describe it. It's as bad as the Gutsy Bat, except you don't even need the Gutsy Bat for actual combat. Without the sword, Poo never hits hard.

TASTY!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »

So who else had fun naming stuff in Earthbound?  A former community member made Ness's favorite thing "goats" and laughed at "Ness blows psy goats" attack.  

And I still posit that Pokey is still perhaps the most annoying and useless character to ever grace an RPG. All that pimple-faced tub of lard does is apologize profusely to enemies and is the epitome of every annoying fathead bully I hated in my childhood.  Plus his mom
Code:
killed the bee.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 07:44:12 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »

Oh, I agree. Pokey has to be one of the best antagonists in a video game. He's pure evil, but just a kid. I can feel my hate for someone like him just reading his dialogue.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »

Kids can easily be the cruelest people out there.  How often do we talk about adult bullies?  Nope, we all talk about our childhood bullies. 

The craziest is that a few years back, one of the effers who tormented me in middle and high school actually sent me a message on Facebook apologizing for the stuff he put me through. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »

I played up to Threed. I tried guys, I really did. But I am not seeing why this game is so loved. This game's insanely tedious. I keep getting my ass kicked, and since they let you keep your levels and stuff, I've basically been strong-arming my way through the game. I knew the plot wouldn't be very deep at all, but I still expected something charming. Besides a few funny-looking enemies, and some random one-liners, there's almost nothing here. Each town's plot has been paper-thin, it took waaay too long just to get Paula (and she's level fucking one, wth?), it's usually unclear on what you need to do next, and it feels like there's hardly any strategy to the battles at all. The game really just seems to be famous for the mood whiplash of Giygas and his battle.

Pleeeeaaaase tell me this gets better. Because I've been anticipating finally getting around to playing this for a long time, and I really wanted to love this.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »

I played up to Threed. I tried guys, I really did. But I am not seeing why this game is so loved. This game's insanely tedious. I keep getting my ass kicked, and since they let you keep your levels and stuff, I've basically been strong-arming my way through the game. I knew the plot wouldn't be very deep at all, but I still expected something charming. Besides a few funny-looking enemies, and some random one-liners, there's almost nothing here. Each town's plot has been paper-thin, it took waaay too long just to get Paula (and she's level fucking one, wth?), it's usually unclear on what you need to do next, and it feels like there's hardly any strategy to the battles at all. The game really just seems to be famous for the mood whiplash of Giygas and his battle.

Pleeeeaaaase tell me this gets better. Because I've been anticipating finally getting around to playing this for a long time, and I really wanted to love this.

You're not alone. When I first tried to play it years ago, I just couldn't get into it. I didn't even get as far as you. I didn't find myself caring about the characters at all. I didn't like the dungeon or enemy design, and the game play is indeed tedious, like you say. It wasn't fun enough for me in the end to compensate. Over the years since, I keep seeing and hearing it being coated with praise, which now and then makes me want to take a crack at it again, but you have reaffirmed my initial take. I guess it's just one of those "different strokes" kind of things...
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »

It was definately the "mood" or "tone" of the game that I adored. Stylistically the game shined and more than made up for what it lacked in terms of plot and gameplay for me. I did however like the first half of the game more than the second and would say if it still feels bland and like a chore to you by the time you get your fourth party member there may not be much to look forward to for you. The plot itself does pick up at the end (becoming considerable different in terms of its tone and gravity)  but not so much so that I would play through the rest if it were grueling to me.

I love earthbound personally but I say there are waaaaaay too many stellar RPG's accessible nowadays to waste time on something you don't care for.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »

Well, at least I know I'm not alone. I was talking with a friend earlier and he suggested the same as you, to play until I get every party member. So I'll try that.

I love earthbound personally but I say there are waaaaaay too many stellar RPG's accessible nowadays to waste time on something you don't care for.

You're absolutely right. *Throws The Last Story into the garbage and puts in Xenoblade.* Topic is to old to revive, but yeah, TLS has been bumming me out too. XD
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: