Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:31:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330174 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Earthbound now out on Wii U VC (seriously)  (Read 4355 times)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »

Earthbound was never about gameplay, but more about it's quirky nature and excellent translation. If you personally don't find it charming, then I wouldn't keep playing it, but that's what the draw is for most people.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 04:49:10 AM »

I played up to Threed. I tried guys, I really did. But I am not seeing why this game is so loved. This game's insanely tedious. I keep getting my ass kicked, and since they let you keep your levels and stuff, I've basically been strong-arming my way through the game. I knew the plot wouldn't be very deep at all, but I still expected something charming. Besides a few funny-looking enemies, and some random one-liners, there's almost nothing here. Each town's plot has been paper-thin, it took waaay too long just to get Paula (and she's level fucking one, wth?), it's usually unclear on what you need to do next, and it feels like there's hardly any strategy to the battles at all. The game really just seems to be famous for the mood whiplash of Giygas and his battle.

Pleeeeaaaase tell me this gets better. Because I've been anticipating finally getting around to playing this for a long time, and I really wanted to love this.

(Nearly?) every boss is susceptible to some status ailments (and in that sense I'd say it's a fair bit more strategic than most of the RPGs from that era). You get to play around with those more by the time you get Jeff. Otherwise, bottle rockets are useful. Consumable items as a whole are really good to have around in EB. Don't worry about conserving magic -- you don't really need to. Magic butterlfies are plentifulish.

It's really not a hard game by any means. And there is an in-game hint system.

The core gameplay in Earthbound's really the exploration side of things, though -- it's a fairly sizable and detailed gameworld.

And no, while the 'mood-whiplash' of the Giygas fight has become memetic, that's not why the game's famous. It's famous for conveying a lot of... I guess emotion, without relying on a heavy textual narrative to do so. There's more to the story than it first seems, but I guess that you could say Earthbound's story isn't an argument but rather a presentation of its own constructed reality, without a strict narrativization of the events within for the purpose of guiding the player to one particular interpretation or them.

But I would suggest against assuming that everything ostensibly funny/silly in the game is strictly humorous.

I think Fourside is when everything really starts to come together, thematically. And also where it starts getting creepy.

Code:
I don't even think the Giygas fight is that mood whiplashy. Compared to, I don't know, the start of the game? Sure. Compared to Lumine Hall, and everything thereafter, though? No. Actually Poo's meditation bit is probably the biggest WTF in the game. Moonside or Paula's kidnapping was the earliest.

Also Everdred being a stand-in for Lennon, and that getting taken to its logical end.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:45:25 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »

Dude...it's famous for the fart gag in twoson. We all know it.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »

Don't worry about conserving magic -- you don't really need to. Magic butterlfies are plentifulish.

I agree with everything you said Mesh, with the exception of these two points. I can recall quite often running out of magic and being in a catch 22 situation where roaming around to find a butterfly led to fights that would force me to consume more magic to win... thus exacting a never ending cycle of struggling to move forward whilst preserving MP to no avail (particularly a problem earlier in the game).

As for the difficulty... it jumps. While for the most part I didn't have a huge problem, some points in the game proved pretty freakin' challenging to me. And it didn't get better for me as time went on. I almost ripped my hair out trying to get through Magiccant (spelling??).

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »

Don't worry about conserving magic -- you don't really need to. Magic butterlfies are plentifulish.

I agree with everything you said Mesh, with the exception of these two points. I can recall quite often running out of magic and being in a catch 22 situation where roaming around to find a butterfly led to fights that would force me to consume more magic to win... thus exacting a never ending cycle of struggling to move forward whilst preserving MP to no avail (particularly a problem earlier in the game).

As for the difficulty... it jumps. While for the most part I didn't have a huge problem, some points in the game proved pretty freakin' challenging to me. And it didn't get better for me as time went on. I almost ripped my hair out trying to get through Magiccant (spelling??).

I should've probably qualified what I said with "in the early game."

Usually you get butterfly rooms in dungeons in the first half of the game, where whoever I was replying to was at. The end game is tougher (although you have most of Jeff's stuff by then, so you can use his items instead of magic).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »

(although you have most of Jeff's stuff by then, so you can use his items instead of magic).

Jeff's combat items are a GODSEND latter in the game. Without his combat items I really couldn't imagine having had the patience to enjoyably finish the game to be honest.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »

Meh, the only combat items I ever used were the bottle rockets and the heavy bazooka. The hungry hp sucker generally sucked and was only good on exp fodder enemies and everything else was a waste of a turn where I could do damage. The defense shower had merit for the giygas fight simply because you can't attack at times during it.

So long as Ness had a few spare PP for emergency lifeups and the best available bat at hand, I was never worried about a fight. Just remember that it pays to take a minute or 10 when getting to a new area to level up once or twice. General rule of thumb is if you have psi freeze gamma by the second or third mole boss in the mines, you're doing good. Similarly, if you have freeze omega by that point....you may have spent too much time leveling.

Quick tip for any of you newbies, invest in fresh eggs in happy happy town and walk away for a few minutes while the game runs uninterrupted. The eggs will hatch into chicks and grow into chickens in a few minutes which you can sell for a HUGE profit.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »

And then this happened

You know, in case you're interested. whatevs.

What is with Nintendo/Nintendo devs and casually announcing huge news like this lately?

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »

What is with Nintendo/Nintendo devs and casually announcing huge news like this lately?

Er, that's a fan project.  Nintendo hasn't announced anything.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »

Er, that's a fan project.  Nintendo hasn't announced anything.

Headline reads unofficial too, so it's not even a case of being deliberately misled by the news source.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »

Unofficial can mean lots of things. I didn't really have enough interest in it to dig very far into the article, so I apologize. Thought it would be interesting to others nonetheless.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »

Unofficial can mean lots of things.

Might be flogging a dead horse, but per The Free Dictionary:

2. sanctioned by, recognized by, or derived from authority

And unofficial is self explanatory, ergo meaning it's a sequel not made with Nintendo's approval. The closest Nintendo would do is a spiritual successor that's similar to Mother but not explicitly called Mother 4, kind of like Bioshock to System Shock or Bravely Default to 4 Heroes of Light.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: