Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:17:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Tossing the idea of using Kickstarter to create a full VN.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tossing the idea of using Kickstarter to create a full VN.  (Read 2983 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »

Been working on a mini-prototype to try and make a 'proof-of-concept' that would give credibility to such a Kickstarter; since you can't just go into one empty handed. Soshite... is pretty much the results of that.

Video Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEz3gmpHfY
Readable Version: http://www.mediafire.com/?3uaydcrbj4dpa6z

Basically the results of $20 of resources and 22 hours of coding, editing, and learning the software from scratch. Honestly not sure if it's 'good enough' though for such usage. :-\ I've glanced at a few other KSs for VNs and it's almost like they have a working full trailer/demo chapter practically made. Which is more than a bit beyond my own financial abilities right now. Hence why I'm considering turning to KS. X-x

So I'm pretty much tossing this here since I know the community has a fondness for VNs. Figure it's the best place to get blunt feedback. XD Would you trust a VN KS that used this as a prototype considering the small production costs?

Also, on a side note, not exactly sure what 'incentives' work for VN KSs. :-\ What have you seen that's 'sounded good'? Do VN KSs even need incentives?
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

Zeron, this might be a good reference for a low budget VN: Driftwood. This is something I'd back (I didn't for this one because I really just wanted a cheaper digital soundtrack reward tier).

Because I enjoyed the first half of "Birth of a Succubus," I'd back up this visual novel if you did a kickstarter for it. [blunt]However, if I were to approach it not knowing any of your previous work, I wouldn't be that impressed with this video and pass on without taking much notice. [/blunt]

I liked the music. Original? Stock?

What would you like to do with this if you did pick up some nifty skills with the program you're using?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:23:39 PM »

Yeah I kinda figured that might be the case after I took a look at it. Where's the major holes in it though? Writing bad? Image quality? General aesthetic? Trying to figure out what needs improves because depending on what it is the idea as a whole might become nonviable completely. I don't really have much of any money to work with compared to what artists/musicians want for their work. :-\ Hence why the music was just used from whatever I could find (LilyPichu's piano work specifically I got permission for even though this was just a personal project). Didn't have funds for any custom menu designs, or even backgrounds. Pretty much had to snip those from Google just to fill in the blanks.

Well what I'd 'like' to do mostly depends on what kind of funds I had to work with. Most realistically I couldn't see getting more than bare minimum as a raw unknown solo-worker. Which would pretty much turn BoaS into a kinetic VN from start to end. Optimistically I'd like to polish up Soshite at attach it on considering it's part of the over-arcing storyline. On the high end of things I would be quite fun to turn BoaS into a multi-ending VN by offering dialog options and expand upon some of the ideas I trimmed out of the re-drafts.

Not even planning on trying to make a cent off of any of that. Would love just to make a free VN for people to enjoy (and maybe have 'something' to attract a publisher with). At this point just basically trying to figure something to do with my work since it's pretty much dead on all fronts. Can't get reviews, can't get readers, can't get basic feedback from the old sources, new sites for writing feedback are all busts, and publishers pretty much have so many restrictions on even basic submission these days I don't even know what to do to start. XP

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: