Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 05:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327395 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  WARRIORS of OZ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: WARRIORS of OZ  (Read 2659 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 10:42:13 PM »

It's kind of a shame that movie mostly gets remembered for Jessica Rabbit, because there's a lot of great stuff in it.

Any time I sit on something hot (like a bench at the park or whatever), I still jump up and say "my biscuits are burning!"

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 10:43:01 PM »

So in the end, we all have childhood traumas from the children movies we watched?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 10:44:50 PM »

Bingo.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »

Hell no! Even though the Shoe was mourned for Jessica Rabbit gave me the first "special stirring" a female figure ever gave me. :D
Take the good w/ the bad.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:27 PM »

I liked Return to Oz as well.  I'm a nut for 80s fantasy like Labyrinth, NeverEnding Story, Dark Crystal...

Roger Rabbit was a great watch as a kid because it was all cartoony, but watching it again as an adult, I caught a lot of dialogue that I missed and that movie has some stellar one-liners and just incredibly written dialogue in general.  Like when Delores
Code:
catches Eddie with his pants down when Jessica Rabbit visits his office, she said, "Dabbling in water colors, Eddie?"

Maybe it's nostalgia talking and/or the fact that I'm old (I turned 35 this year), but I agree with whomever said "Oz should have ended with the Muppets."  I feel like though CG graphics and special effects can make the vividness of our imaginations really come to life, the "Muppet world" fantasies looked and felt more organic to me.  Can you imagine Dark Crystal updated with CG effects and stuff?  It would be just plain wrong.  That movie is still so good even now and timeless.  Tell me the Skeksis didn't creep you out a little as a kid.

I'm rarely interested in movies nowadays, except for some superhero films.  That's one "genre" of film that's improved 100-fold since the "olden/golden" days of cinema. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »

Oz the Great and Powerful isn't bad. It actually has some twists to the blockbuster formula.

What I would like to see is a TV series that is a direct adaptation of the Oz books. It would be expensive, but it would be nice to see a straight adaptation of a fairy-tale type series than all these subversive remakes.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »

Best part of Roger Rabbit is Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny doing a bit together while falling off a plane.  Legendary moment.  Incredible movie. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 12:33:49 AM »

Too bad Bob Hoskins career ended shortly after WFRR with that other movie he did. Sure he might have looked like a plumber but he was still a terrible choice for the role (of course the rest of the movie sucking out loud didn't help matters either).

Anyways, in regards to the movie: COME OUT AND PLAAAAY!!!

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 07:38:26 AM »

Ahahaha if they manage to rope James Remar to play a major character I will lose my damn mind.  Love that movie. 

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »

Hell no! Even though the Shoe was mourned for Jessica Rabbit gave me the first "special stirring" a female figure ever gave me. :D

David Bowie in Labyrinth.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »

Holysmokes, comments galore.

"Breath of Fire 2 actually IS an uber-quality game!!"

Mean dungeons aside, I agree.

Noooooooo.

Don't remind me of the shoe. :(

Between the show and his freaky-deaky eyes, I have trouble with the movie.  "The dip" in general sounds like a dreadful way to go and it's brought up several times.

So in the end, we all have childhood traumas from the children movies we watched?
That damn horse from never ending story.... goddamn
Bambi and his mum
Last of Us's "end of summer" event. ;____;

I liked Return to Oz as well.  I'm a nut for 80s fantasy like Labyrinth, NeverEnding Story, Dark Crystal...

Roger Rabbit was a great watch as a kid because it was all cartoony, but watching it again as an adult, I caught a lot of dialogue that I missed and that movie has some stellar one-liners and just incredibly written dialogue in general.  Like when Delores
Code:
catches Eddie with his pants down when Jessica Rabbit visits his office, she said, "Dabbling in water colors, Eddie?"

Maybe it's nostalgia talking and/or the fact that I'm old (I turned 35 this year), but I agree with whomever said "Oz should have ended with the Muppets."  I feel like though CG graphics and special effects can make the vividness of our imaginations really come to life, the "Muppet world" fantasies looked and felt more organic to me.  Can you imagine Dark Crystal updated with CG effects and stuff?  It would be just plain wrong.  That movie is still so good even now and timeless.  Tell me the Skeksis didn't creep you out a little as a kid.

I'm rarely interested in movies nowadays, except for some superhero films.  That's one "genre" of film that's improved 100-fold since the "olden/golden" days of cinema. 

Great post as a whole ra here.
Yes, most definitely, Roger Rabbit is a movie that can "swing" as a kid's movie, but it's definitely made for adults to get -- and I love that about it, it's almost perfect that way.  It's also a movie that did the special effects better than a lot of films that came after it (I say this too about Fifth Element, the CG was years ahead of its time).
And also, yeah, I think the fact these films were much more "hand made" a large part of their charm --- CGI would almost make it too easy.  Nevertheless, I am in favor of more Fantasy and Sci-Fi films given that it's easier to pull off realistically.

Best part of Roger Rabbit is Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny doing a bit together while falling off a plane.  Legendary moment.  Incredible movie. 

No better way to involve two of the biggest animated cartoon icons.  They played it well, Mickey was friendly, Bugs was Obnoxious.

Too bad Bob Hoskins career ended shortly after WFRR with that other movie he did. Sure he might have looked like a plumber but he was still a terrible choice for the role (of course the rest of the movie sucking out loud didn't help matters either).

Anyways, in regards to the movie: COME OUT AND PLAAAAY!!!

Aww, but I loved him as Smee and I'm a fan of Unleashed. :D

David Bowie in Labyrinth.

Best family film crotch shots.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

ARRRRRRTAXXXX!!! No kidding though. That scene really got to me as a youngin'....

sorry to be a debbie downer about it but I'm calling it like I see it.

That's cool. Everyone has their own opinion, of course. Just like I happen to think (and have actually stated here previously) Return to Oz sucks ass. =P

In regards to this topic... It's kind of a neat idea IMO, but we all know the execution will be garbage. Calling it now.

One step away from a banning. You have to have at least 1000 posts to have an opinion.

Pretty steep requirement, but I respect it. A "newb" like me should know his place, after all.

It was worth it, though. BWAHAHAHA!!!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

@ natros...

Just keep sporting that Al Bundy avatar and you can have any opinion you want... that avatar makes me happy :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »

@ natros...

Just keep sporting that Al Bundy avatar and you can have any opinion you want... that avatar makes me happy :)

You should be! Al is at the only place he loved, the Jiggly Room.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »

ARRRRRRTAXXXX!!! No kidding though. That scene really got to me as a youngin'....

Same here. Then I realized the main character was a guy and hated the movie even more (fucking daycare). Thankfully, anime has seen to it that I'll never make that mistake again.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: