Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 04:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338694 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Final Fantasy Kickstarter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy Kickstarter  (Read 3438 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ffviiwebseries/final-fantasy-vii-the-web-series-unofficial-fan-pr
I was sent this and immediately facepalmed
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 07:59:16 AM by Chronix112 » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »

On a slightly related note, I've always wondered what the legality of projects like this are on Kickstarter. Are they not breaching copyright by making money off someone else's ideas? In this case, Square Enix?

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:55:42 AM »

I made an error and posted this thread in two different sections. Can a mod delete one?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:09 PM »

How has this not been shut down by S-E's legal department?  I generally think that fan projects should be left alone...until they start soliciting money.  That changes everything.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:25 PM »

Yeah no.

I can see this getting cancelled.  It's technically making money off others people's intellectual property....right??

Eugh, either way, massive projects like this, specifically scripted stuff, is kind of a mixedbag for me.  Art, cosplay, fan-made remixes/music are easier.  With all due respect to the who love and write it, I'm not big on fan fiction.  But they got all sorts of talent (I'll have to see the youtube bit posted when I'm not in class).

Jesus....they got $9000+ already?  I really gotta start a kickstarter for something.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:30 PM »

I strongly suspect this will be C&Ded long before the people ever see a dime.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 02:41:08 PM »

How has this not been shut down by S-E's legal department?  I generally think that fan projects should be left alone...until they start soliciting money.  That changes everything.

You don't know? S-E waits until you are ready to release THEN they slam you with the C&D.
That's how they've always done it. It's almost as if they feed on your despair.

I'm still salty about the Chrono Trigger 2 project ;_;
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

:insert obligatory 'fan made FFVII movie more faithful to the original game than Advent Children' joke here:

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »

:insert obligatory 'fan made FFVII movie more faithful to the original game than Advent Children' joke here:

We are back in 2005.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »

On a slightly related note, I've always wondered what the legality of projects like this are on Kickstarter. Are they not breaching copyright by making money off someone else's ideas? In this case, Square Enix?
Yes they are violating copyright, they are violating it so freaking hard. It isn't even about the money. If they did this for free they would still be violating copyright. They got no defenses. I'm surprised that their graph of money doesn't include a "money for futile attempt to fight copyright infringement claim."

How has this not been shut down by S-E's legal department?  I generally think that fan projects should be left alone...until they start soliciting money.  That changes everything.
If I were Square-Enix legal (and I was aware of this), my response would be wait to see if it hits the funding amount. If it doesn't then there is no issue because they get no money. If they do hit the funding amount then cease and desist immediately to try and avoid a PR nightmare from cancelling after the project has funded.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »

I hope this gets canned immediately. The only fan service FFVII actually needs is more fans to play the game. Get SE on the bandwagon of making that FFVII remake already.

TASTY!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »

Until Squeenix can get back on their game, I don't want that.  I'd rather we just see HD remakes and maybe add stuff (like the GBA ports did).

But also, we need the remakes of FF5 and 6.  Especially the latter.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »

How do you make FFVII current?

How do you update the old mechanics while still keeping it true enough that the old fan recognize the things they like and the new players do not find the controls, mechanics, flow and graphics to feel dated?

I think the reason S-E never touched it is because they understand it's a catch 22.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:59 PM »

How do you make FFVII current?

How do you update the old mechanics while still keeping it true enough that the old fan recognize the things they like and the new players do not find the controls, mechanics, flow and graphics to feel dated?

I think the reason S-E never touched it is because they understand it's a catch 22.

Adding to this, how do they retcon their previous retcons so that remake's story isn't completely different from the original (how many Sephiroth clones does it take to remake FFVII?)?

It's also a catch 22 in that when they make it and it inevitably bombs, fans won't be able to disregard its performance because they'll have nothing left to want from Squeenix.

That's why the day that the FFVII remake is officially announced will be the day Squeenix announces that they're giving up on making games altogether.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »

An close adaptation of Final Fantasy VII made by fans of the game?

Die in a fire please.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: