Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 07:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334804 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The favorite sidequests thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The favorite sidequests thread  (Read 3853 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »

I think I did this years ago, so it's a good enough time as any to do it again.  Every RPG has sidequests.  Many are busywork, but some are really engaging for whatever reason. 

What are some of your favorite RPG sidequests? 

And if you want to expand on that with more food for thought, what is it about that sidequests that you liked so much?  What makes for a good sidequest? 

It's no secret that my favorite RPG sidequest of all time was the Zell love quest in Final Fantasy VIII.  Playing wingman trying to hook him and the library girl together was great.  I wrote about it in our "Favorite Couples" feature earlier this year.  http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Our_Favorite_RPG_Couples/index.html

I also liked the way sidequests were handled in Phantasy Star IV.  I did them all.  Normally, I only do one or two sidequests in an RPG, but the way the Hunter's Guild was set up in Phantasy Star IV, I did them all.  I felt like the sidequests really fleshed out the main characters, the game's world, and the world's inhabitants. 

So, yeah, let's talk sidequests. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »

The Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion and the Murder Mystery Party. That little mission really shook things up and made me wish for more creative shit like that.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »

Spoilers for Chrono Trigger

Really liked the way sidequests were done in Chrono Trigger, specifically the way each character had their own sidequest in the end that tied up their plots. It also helped that each quest got the person their powered up gear and stuff, more games need to do that. If I had to pick one amongst them it would be Frog rebuilding the castle and powering up the Masamune. It's awesome how he pretty much used the masamune the whole way through and you felt like it fell off in terms of power and then BAM, epic frog theme flute ghost powerup. Also Robo spending a few hundred years planting trees and reviving the environment.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »

Chocobo Breeding in FFVII comes to mind.

The entire Amala Labyrinth in SMT3 was a side-quest in Maniancs/Nocturne.  That deserves bonus points for how well integrated it is in the story.

Dragon gene finding in BoFIII is one of my favorite "collection" side-quests.
Belated edit: On the subject of BoFIII, that (required) quest where you have to train the weak guy so he can beat up a stronger guy and win the girl's heart was neat, too.  I actually can't stand this quest, but I think it deserves some credit for being interesting.

. . .And while I don't particularly like them, the block puzzle side quest (there's like 15 of them?) in Wild ARMs 3 was put together extremely well.

Belated Edit 2: Anything Suikoden character recruiting related.  But the top still is the cooking competition.

And Yoda's right about that party in Oblivion. That was amazingly interesting. It's going to be hard for Bethesda to top that, ever.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:00:06 PM by Cyril » Logged
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »

Collecting the Adventure Books for Clyde's daughter in Wild Arms 3 was fun, especially since they penned out a complete story when all collected! I appreciated that they also peppered the readings with background music for each event that was happening in the story.

Liz and Ard Sidequest from Wild Arms 2 was very amusing, as it was bastardly difficult (was not prepared for the boss)

I remember pumping 5 hours straight into blitzball from Final Fantasy X...was so addicting.

The Mastermune Sidequest in Chrono Cross was fun as it was challenging.

Two other ones that were more sport-sidequests was Fishing in Legend of Zelda OoT (again, not really sidequestish, but I pumped hours into this) and Spheda from Dark Cloud 2 (I like golf).

That's all I got.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »

Any of the side quests in Shadow Hearts: Covenant, especially if they had to deal with Joachim finding weapons.
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »

Triple triad: Fun, rewarding, variety of rules so never gets bring, maybe also can be claimed as "deep", actually requires quite a bit of thinking and planning.

I would consider it as a side quest since I believe that it's mostly skipable. 

Best mini-game ever IMO
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »

High risk, high reward; the damned sword made the rest of the game too easy! x)

Breath of Fire fishing is always wonderful.  I actually enjoy fishing myself, so...

Talking to dogs in Tales of Symphonia.  Not a real sidequest, but dogs are great....so....

Tales of Graces had this thing with three siblings.  I loved the running gag where the woman's chef kept getting taller.  But I'm a sucker for running gags....SOO....

Yeah, I'm not giving real answers.

Seriously now:

Wild Arms 3: Super bosses, alien tower bosses, books, millennium puzzle solutions, and fighting dirty magazines.  Plus a 100 floor dungeon (that I never attempted because life).

Tales games in general.  Though sometimes obnoxiously so with the weird cut offs and dubious rewards.  But I admire that most of them are an effort at character/world building nonetheless.

As mush as I hate about 70% of the "sidequest content", FFX's adventure for the sigils were pretty varied and interesting (opposite of FF13 which gives you f*** all to do).

Baten Kaitos Origins.  I thought collecting a "clay village" was cool and weird.  I also liked Pacman as an odd nostalgic throwback.  It was a pain in the ass, but the rewards were great.  The first game also was great for unique "character quests" to tie up loose ends and given you ballin endgame equips.

Zelda games do these pretty well too.  Majora's Mask is practically one giant sidequest with your major locations at each of the outer reaches of the map.  Chrono Trigger too, technically.

Chocobo Hot/Cold was painfully addictive.  Goes up a grade probably just for cool music.

Dumb as it is, Score Pieces in Eternal Sonata were a fantastic idea since they allowed more than one combination.

Does end/post-game Tri-Ace stuff content???  Cave of Tribulations/Ordeals, Seraphic Gate, Sphere 211, the weird-ass distotion corrdidor, Neverland....  I love post-game content to throw a knife in your back when you think you've done well for yourself.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:20:23 PM »

Bounty hunting in Skies of Arcadia: Legends.  One thing that the Legends version had over the original was the addition of a few extra pirate bounties.  They were usually fun, had good rewards if you challenged them as they became available, and had enemies full of personality.  Hidden postgame bounty is also probably the best boss battle in the game.  

Also: the epilogue in Lunar 2.  So much extra stuff.  Sad ending turns awesome.  Gets me every time.  

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »

Wild Arms 3: Super bosses, alien tower bosses, books, millennium puzzle solutions, and fighting dirty magazines.  Plus a 100 floor dungeon (that I never attempted because life).

That dungeon....that 100 floor dungeon was torturous. But yeah, whatever Dice says goes ditto for me as well. Wild Arms 3 had a lot of side quests now that I think about it that I really liked. I think it was the only one from the series I took out most to all the bosses (The Dirty magazines make a comeback in WA5).

Darn, did I like the music of the millennium puzzle! Great Side quest with a killer background tune to ease the frustration.

And now that you mentioned Dogs. I loved finding the recruitable dogs in Suikoden III. They are way too adorable (and they get their own theme music).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »

I don't remember exactly but I believe there was a quest about cannibals on Fallout 3 and I liked it a lot.

Triple triad: Fun, rewarding, variety of rules so never gets bring, maybe also can be claimed as "deep", actually requires quite a bit of thinking and planning.

Best mini-game ever IMO

I don't know if it would count as a quest but if it does I'm with you, I loved every minute playing it!

I almost forgot, one of my favorite: Seraphic Gate in Valkyrie Profile 2. There isn't much plot in it but the dungeon is fantastic and it challenges you all the time, both with the regular enemies, bosses and puzzles.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »

I don't remember exactly but I believe there was a quest about cannibals on Fallout 3 and I liked it a lot.

Best mini-game ever IMO

I don't know if it would count as a quest but if it does I'm with you, I loved every minute playing it!

I almost forgot, one of my favorite: Seraphic Gate in Valkyrie Profile 2. There isn't much plot in it but the dungeon is fantastic and it challenges you all the time, both with the regular enemies, bosses and puzzles.

The bit with the "dogs"[?] in VP2 was pretty damn decent comedy too.  No holds barred there, calling Rufus whipped, Alicia's thunder-thighs, PUTE WHITE.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 12:10:17 AM »

If we're just going to be randomly pulling sidequests out of our asses then I'll throw down for FFVI's. Getting both broke ass espers and equipment while getting resolutions to character arcs was a solid combination. If there was any problem it was the lackadastical difficulty curve.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »

The Ancient Cave in the Lufia series is always a fun timesink. Sort of easy in the last gba one, but Lufia 2...damn how many hours you could spend in it.

TASTY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 02:31:53 AM »

I always liked figuring out what the sidequests to recruit people were for characters in Suikoden. Some were obvious, some were maddening (at the time).

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: