Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 290007 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »

Wasn't really sure where to post this rant, since it has more to do with my current .Hack-a-thon than anything else, but since it is a rant about a book, I figured I'd finally make a post in this thread. Also, here's a minor warning that this rant does contain a major spoiler about the plot of the IMOQ .Hack games.

So, as I said before, part of my .Hack-a-thon is reading "Another Birth," a set of novellas that retells the story of the games from the perspective of Akira (BlackRose). I mentioned then that the books aren't the best written, but they're useful and entertaining as an accompaniment with the games. But I read a bit last night that has bugged the hell out of me since I read it, and can't get how jarringly unnecessary it was out of my head.

The bit in question takes place as Akira is talking with her friends about the Epitaph of Twilight and the relationship of Harald and Emma. They reach the assumption that the daughter Harald hints about in some of his notes in the game is Aura, and that Aura is an artificial intelligence.

At that moment, Akira connects the dots and realizes that Aura must be the "Ultimate AI" Harald spoke of in one of his notes. And then...

AND THEN

out of NOWHERE wonders to herself if that means Mia is really Macha.

Now I realize at this point that I'm ranting to a very small percentage of forum goers that actually knows the story, but there is NO reason for Akira to make that assumption at that point in the story. The group hasn't even fought Gorre yet. If she had simply wondered if Mia was a part of the Cursed Wave, it still wouldn't have made sense to jump from "Aura is the ultimate AI" to "Mia is a part of the problem affecting the game," but at least it wouldn't be a flat out display of psychic powers. Unlike Kite, Akira already has a good feeling that Mia isn't a player character after all.

I don't even understand why it bothers me as much as it does, but it most certainly does. I think mostly it bothers me because there's no use for it too. She has the thought and then goes right back to discussing Aura and the Epitaph of Twilight.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: September 24, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

I finished reading Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3), and all I can say is damn. It knocked me off my feet. Definitely one of the best books/series that I've read this year.

I'm now reading The Good Lord Bird by James McBride. It's historical/literary fiction following a brief part of the life of John Brown of Harper's Ferry fame (or infamy), and it won the National Book Award last year. I'm only about 30 pages in so far, but I'm really enjoying it. The writing has both depth and humor.

After I finish The Good Lord Bird I'll read either Wheel of Time #4, or Alloy of Law.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1517 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »

I finished reading Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3), and all I can say is damn. It knocked me off my feet. Definitely one of the best books/series that I've read this year.

Glad you and everyone else who scoped Mistborn this year liked it. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »

I've been working on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and am currently in between the main series and the Richard and Kahlan novels with The Law of Nines. I've had reading difficulties due to some mental issues, although I've found a solution where I up the font size on my iPad's Kindle app so I'm not tempted to skim through small text and miss things, and while it's really slowed my reading pace, I have been absorbing stories better than usual.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: September 25, 2014, 09:26:52 PM »

Those Sword of Truth books get real old real fast. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 25, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »

Yep, I read the first one and decided that was plenty.  I will say, though, that I also like the ability to change font size on kindle/ebook apps.  Makes it easier to read in crappy light or when I want to take off my glasses for a bit.  (Not reading glasses - I-can't-see-without-them glasses.)

I got to read a bunch recently, which was pretty nice!  I read Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which was very Neil Gaiman-y, and I enjoyed it a lot.  Short fast read.

I've read the first couple of books in Preston & Child's Pendergast series at the recommendation of some friends, and they've been good enough that I'm reading the third one now.

I read The Crimson Campaign - book 2 of the Powder Mage trilogy - and it was also good.  I'm nervous that he's headed into some tropey traps in book 3, but we'll see what happens.  As for book 2 itself, I wish he'd done a better job of reminding me who the returning characters were, but that's my only complaint.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: September 30, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »

Finished the Sword of Truth and Richard and Kahlan novels and largely enjoyed them. Currently working on the Spellsinger books by Alan Dean Foster, and will likely go through the Wheel of Time books again.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: October 05, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »

I finished up The Good Lord Bird last night. It was good, and I liked the historical accuracy of the characters and the events. I didn't like the protagonist all that much, which is fine as I don't think that all protagonists need to be likable. Unfortunately, the book follows the vein of Huck Finn a little too much. The protagonist comes to a decision to be responsible and heroic, but then seems to retrograde back into his old ways shortly thereafter. Still a good read though.

I've been plodding my way through The Poetic Edda for a while now, but I'm going to give it my full attention next. Viking myth is awesome and messed up.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: October 06, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »

Yeah, I read 3 of the Sword of Truth books, and stopped after that. It just wasn't working for me anymore.

I started reading Mistborn because of posts on here, and am glad I did. I'm in the middle of book 2 right now, and very absorbed. Great stuff.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1524 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Finished the Spellsinger series. Definitely love fantasy with talking animals. On the third main book of the Wheel of Time series, and they're definitely much, much better than I remember. Maxing my Kindle App's font size really helps me absorb the story better in small bits.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:46 PM »

I read Night Watch this week, and I really liked it.  It was originally written in Russian, and as someone who hasn't had a lot of actual exposure to Russia, I found the cultural differences very interesting aside from the fact that the book's well written.  Definitely gonna grab the next one in the series when I get a chance.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1526 on: October 17, 2014, 12:21:52 AM »

Yeah, I read 3 of the Sword of Truth books, and stopped after that. It just wasn't working for me anymore.

I started reading Mistborn because of posts on here, and am glad I did. I'm in the middle of book 2 right now, and very absorbed. Great stuff.

Looking back now that I've had a few weeks to think about it, I think that the first book is my favorite. I really enjoyed how developed the setting was, particularly Luthadel and its surrounding areas. I didn't quite get the same feel for the city, and other areas of the world in books 2 and 3. That's a minor nitpick though. The conclusion of book 3 was amazing.

Speaking of Mistborn, I finished reading The Poetic Edda today, and I'll be starting Mistborn: Alloy of Law tomorrow on the ride to work. I'm excited for more Mistborn, but I do admit I'm kind of glad it is a lot shorter than the trilogy that precedes it. Since I was studying The Poetic Edda with a specific purpose, I still have plenty of more notes to take, so I won't be able to give other books my full attention for a while yet.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: October 18, 2014, 12:30:29 AM »

Trilogies are swell, but yeah, it's definitely nice to read a standalone book sometimes.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: