Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 01, 2016, 12:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
242253 Posts in 7256 Topics by 2378 Members
Latest Member: Sugoi
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 526125 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1800 on: June 13, 2016, 10:28:05 AM »

Alright, the last post where I review the series as a whole is up on my blog. It includes the tl;dr, which I updated slightly. It's mostly the same as the above post still.

Here it is: https://jimmyspopcultureblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/the-wheel-of-time-series-review-conclusion/

I want to keep talking overlong fantasy... Have you read any other long ass fantasy series? Sword of Truth?

Not really. For some reason, Sword of Truth has never really appealed to me at all. I can't really pin down why. I'm planning on checking out others in the future. I was hoping to get to Game of Thrones and Stormlight Archive in the near future, but they may have to wait as I'm starting a PhD this Fall and I won't have much time for recreational reading (or anything for that matter).
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 13, 2016, 10:37:45 AM »

Yeah, I don't like the Sword of Truth series either.  It got a little too S&M and a little too politically preachy for me pretty quickly.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1802 on: June 13, 2016, 02:48:27 PM »

S&M? Really?
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: June 14, 2016, 12:11:49 AM »

Yeah, one of the important factions in the series is a group called the "Mord Sith."  Their main weapon is "a magical rod that causes constant pain to anyone who touches it."

From the wiki:
Candidates to become Mord-Sith are selected from the gentlest and kindest girls in D'Hara, regardless of rank, wealth or any other factors. The kindest girls always make the best Mord-Sith because they have the farthest to fall. Mord-Sith must have no siblings. They are kidnapped along with their parents and trained from a young age on three levels. Each time, she must be "broken."

The first breaking is a time during which she is tortured to the point of obedience so strong that she would do absolutely anything her master/mistress tells her, without question or hesitation. This part of the training breaks her of her sense of self and personal desires.

During the second breaking, she is forced to watch as her teacher slowly and brutally tortures her mother to the point of being broken, and eventually, death. This is to rid her of compassion.

The third, and arguably the most difficult, breaking is when she is given the instrument of torture and must inflict pain and suffering upon her own father until he breaks as well, and then she must kill him. When she has completed this task, she is a full Mord-Sith.

Just stupid.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1804 on: June 14, 2016, 01:10:25 AM »

Seems lame but if the product is badass female warriors then that is cool in the context of the book. I mean how much terrible violence towards women and children is in a song of ice and fire? Way more than is needed to illustrate how shitty everything is.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1805 on: June 14, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »

I'm not sure why I have this impression of the Sword of Truth series, maybe I looked into the series years ago and all I remember is this: it felt like the author basically saw that the fantasy genre was potentially lucrative and started churning out lengthy novels to cash in on the fantasy genre's popularity. The books didn't seem to have much depth and it didn't seem like he was writing them with an overarching purpose or goal in mind.

That's my two cents anyway.
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: June 14, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »

Seems lame but if the product is badass female warriors then that is cool in the context of the book.

Unfortunately, it is not.  The product is "grr, we're so mean and we're going to show you that pain is sexy."  Then the hero is like "but I'm so nice."  And his torturer is like "oh, maybe I love you now."

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1807 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

464 pages into Words of Radiance.  The book is really good, but progress is slow because this novel is quite dense.  I finish one chapter, then I feel like I need a nap.  I know I've said that before already, but it's true.  It's not like a lager you can chug on a summer's day.  This is a thick stout you need to sip slowly.

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Tooker
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:20 PM »

I think I was the same with that one.  Some books are just like that!

I feel like I've read a bunch of things lately.

- Skin Game, the last of the currently-existing Dresden Files books.  It was fun.  I'll read more when they exist, but I won't stress about the wait until they do.

- Stephen King's Bazaar of Bad Dreams short story collection.  Some of them were decent, some were dumb.  None were amazing that I recall.  Only recommended for hardcore fans who feel like they want to read everything he writes.

- Bands of Mourning, the latest Mistborn book.  I find that I really don't care much about this trilogy, although I really loved the first three books.  This book didn't really interest me until about 85% of the way in, but it did finally get my attention.

- Calamity, the last of Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series.  It was good, finished up the series satisfactorily.

- Red Rising.  No sir, I didn't like it.  Someone thought "Ooh, The Hunger Games was popular, and people like 'reality' shows where everyone stabs each other in the back.  I should make a book of that."

- Who Censored Roger Rabbit?  It's pretty different from the movie, but I quite liked it.  It's a noir-y book with sentences like "I went back to my office and let my bottom desk drawer buy me a drink."

- The 7th Guest.  Turns out there's a novel of the game!  It started off well and continued OK and ended kind of muddied, but not horrible.  If you liked the game and stumble across a copy, read it, but it's not worth going to a lot of trouble to dig up.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: