Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2016, 07:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237170 Posts in 7075 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 498467 times)
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1755 on: March 26, 2016, 08:29:10 PM »

It's that classic case of "it's good, I recognize it as being good, but I don't like it."  I've said that about several video games over the years. 

Posting on the phone prohibits long form here but I think that is a pretty great story and it frightens me. Everything is subjective but I don't get how you could consider that book dry but it's no big deal. Not everyone has to like everything haha

And part of Big Brother is the so called perpson next to you on the train reporting you. The character's neighbors were ratted out by their kids.
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 26, 2016, 10:23:27 PM »

That is, to me, the worst part. The government doesn't realistically have the time to pay attention to my every word and deed.  But those around me being happy to turn people in for any offense, real or imagined... the Salem Witch Trials are what happens when we go that route.

I finally got to a point where the library didn't have any more Dresden books for me to check out without a hold, so I grabbed Odd Thomas and the first three Iron Druid books. Pretty sure I've already read the first one and liked it, but it's been forever.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1757 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »

I gave up on Ancillary Justice. I found the prose to be pretty horrendous and the story was going nowhere fast. The characters also had zero personality, and the author needs to learn how to write a conversation. Also, the pronoun confusion just made it difficult for me to imagine the characters. I'm not shocked that it won both the Hugo and Nebula awards as they have a habit of awarding books that oftentimes don't deserve the praise they receive, but I am shocked this mess of a book was actually published. It's just bad writing on every level.

Moved onto Wheel of Time 12. About 150 pages in and actually kind of bored right now. Sanderson is all about the build up though, so I'm expecting it to get explosive soon.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1758 on: April 01, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »

Wheel of Time 12 is done. I wasn't super impressed by the first Brandon Sanderson book in the series. It wasn't as good as the books in the series Jordan wrote that were actually quality books. Namely 2, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 11. Still, I can't blame him really for starting picking up the reins and finishing such a colossal series. It came to a good ending that seemed more like Sanderson than Jordan, and I appreciated that at least. I was also glad the characters and clothing descriptions weren't as infuriating as they could be in Jordan's books. However, there was just a breathlessness to Jordan's prose when the pacing actually picked up that was just intoxicating and left me feeling winded where Sanderson is very meticulous and is all about the build up. It works well for Sanderson's work, but is kind of disorienting coming into it after reading eleven books and a prequel.

Still looking forward to the next (and last!) two books in the series. But I'm going to take a break from reading while I play Fire Emblem Fates. After Fates is done I'll be reading either Wheel of Time 13 or Abaddon's Gate (book 3 in The Expanse).
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1759 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

Please check out Homicide by david simon. Probably one of the best reads Ive ever experienced

They released a legend of drizzt omnibus with the first three books.  I'm reading that now and it is pretty good. Nice popcorn grade fantasy haps. I can get behind that
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1760 on: April 26, 2016, 04:49:56 PM »

So I've actually been plugging away very slowly at Wheel of Time 13. I only read it during down time at work since I'm using my commute to play FE Fates: Conquest. I just made it to chapter 21.

So far, again, Sanderson's writing style is all about the build up, but it just isn't working for me yet. Maybe when I get to Memory of Light and everything comes together it will. Otherwise though I'm finding this one just as plodding as the last. I will give him credit though for bringing a lot more maturity to the characters. They've been needing to grow up for a LONG time. Glad to see that is finally happening for all of them. Though it does kind of amuse me that most of the main characters are currently around twenty years old and the whole series has taken place over the course of two years. Feels like it should have been a lot longer and they should be much older.
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1761 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

I finished the legend of drizzt books 1-3 that are wrapped in one book. I loved it. They do some interesting stuff with D&D lore and there are good twists given Drizzt's background. It is all pretty straightforward but it is a damn fun journey.

Complaint about the set. In the last book there were groups of blank pages a out every 30 pages or so. I was forced to buy that book, Sojourn, on kindle
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1762 on: Today at 09:36:28 AM »

Through luck I managed to snag one of these a few days after the event. I havent read the stormlight archive yet but this is a cool book. Really good quality

http://torforgeblog.com/2016/04/21/announcing-the-stormlight-archive-pocket-companion/
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: