Author Topic: Book Thread Continued

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #1890 on: May 31, 2017, 05:15:38 PM »
Weren't there (or aren't there) some human cultures that consider 30 the age of true adulthood?
Current RPG - NieR: Automata, Final Fantasy XIII

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1891 on: May 31, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »
When I said "old farts" I meant it in more colloquially jesting sense.  I see guys in my cycling club who are in their 60s and even 70s logging 100-200 miles a week on their bicycles and I look up to them like, "I wanna be you when I grow up!" 

And several cultures hold the 30s in high esteem, Arvis.  I heard somewhere that there is a French proverb that a woman doesn't become truly interesting until around age 35.  That proverb stuck with me because the US is such a youth oriented culture that almost frowns upon veneration. 

Anyway, I just passed the House of Tom Bombadil chapter in Fellowship of the Ring.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:38:17 PM by Lando »
"Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just gonna stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  -an outtake from Kyleen Nelphe (Thousand Arms)

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:34 AM »
I finished off Feast for Crows today. It was slow until the last hundred pages, and then it turned into another cliffhanger ending. Still, I need a break before going to Dance with Dragons so I decided to read Nemesis Games, fifth book in The Expanse series next. Not really a lighter read per se, but definitely shorter. If I still need a breather before Dance with Dragons, then I will read a Redwall book after I finish up Nemesis Games. They seem like the perfect (borrowing Neal's term) palate cleanser books to me.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1893 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:01 PM »
I haven't gotten as far into Lord of the Rings as I want to because all the other stuff I have going on in my life hasn't given me as much "sit down and read" time as I'd like.  I'm about 11 or 12 chapters into Fellowship and I just finished the part where Frodo,
Spoiler: show
Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Strider are in the dell and one of the black riders stabs Frodo with a poison dagger.
"Are we gonna do anything fun?  Or are you just gonna stand there with your thumb up your butt?"  -an outtake from Kyleen Nelphe (Thousand Arms)

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: Yesterday at 06:17:36 PM »
I finished Nemesis Games a day ago. I actually stayed up most of the night to read the last two hundred pages because it was so good. The first couple hundred pages are slow, but then some craziness happens and it takes off. Second best book in The Expanse so far.

I started reading Dance with Dragons. Not even a hundred pages into it and The Gunslinger became available at the library. Luckily that one is short so I should be able to read them both. I want to read The Gunslinger because the movie trailer looks so good. But I also want to catch up on Dance with Dragons so I can binge seasons 4-6 of the show.

Book lover's problem.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #1895 on: Yesterday at 06:20:11 PM »
In Lord of the Rings, Frodo woke up in
Spoiler: show
Rivendell, had a chat with Gandalf, enjoyed a massive feast, had a heart-to-heart with Bilbo in the Hall of Fire, and tomorrow morning everyone will council with Elrond.