Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:23:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331911 Posts in 13593 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  Book Thread Continued
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] Print
Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 281467 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: September 21, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »

Wasn't really sure where to post this rant, since it has more to do with my current .Hack-a-thon than anything else, but since it is a rant about a book, I figured I'd finally make a post in this thread. Also, here's a minor warning that this rant does contain a major spoiler about the plot of the IMOQ .Hack games.

So, as I said before, part of my .Hack-a-thon is reading "Another Birth," a set of novellas that retells the story of the games from the perspective of Akira (BlackRose). I mentioned then that the books aren't the best written, but they're useful and entertaining as an accompaniment with the games. But I read a bit last night that has bugged the hell out of me since I read it, and can't get how jarringly unnecessary it was out of my head.

The bit in question takes place as Akira is talking with her friends about the Epitaph of Twilight and the relationship of Harald and Emma. They reach the assumption that the daughter Harald hints about in some of his notes in the game is Aura, and that Aura is an artificial intelligence.

At that moment, Akira connects the dots and realizes that Aura must be the "Ultimate AI" Harald spoke of in one of his notes. And then...

AND THEN

out of NOWHERE wonders to herself if that means Mia is really Macha.

Now I realize at this point that I'm ranting to a very small percentage of forum goers that actually knows the story, but there is NO reason for Akira to make that assumption at that point in the story. The group hasn't even fought Gorre yet. If she had simply wondered if Mia was a part of the Cursed Wave, it still wouldn't have made sense to jump from "Aura is the ultimate AI" to "Mia is a part of the problem affecting the game," but at least it wouldn't be a flat out display of psychic powers. Unlike Kite, Akira already has a good feeling that Mia isn't a player character after all.

I don't even understand why it bothers me as much as it does, but it most certainly does. I think mostly it bothers me because there's no use for it too. She has the thought and then goes right back to discussing Aura and the Epitaph of Twilight.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: