Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 08:23:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331846 Posts in 13588 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?  (Read 6516 times)
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 11:36:21 AM »

Okay, so who participated in Free Comic Book Day yesterday?  What freebies did you snag and which ones did you like?  

Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan (Drawn & Quarterly)- This was pretty solid; I liked the juxtaposition between the cartoony and realistic drawings.  Its' stylistically different from typical manga, so I liked that.  

Wayward Sons/ Tesla (Red Giant)- I did not get into Tesla, but I Wayward Sons seems like a fun supernatural with appealing art.

Darchon/ Shadow Children (Red Giant)- I thoroughly disliked Darchon.  The pacing was choppy, nothing made sense, and I didn't get into the characters.  The cover was cool, though.  On the other hand, I wasn't expecting much from Shadow Children but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I liked the art style, the imaginative world, and I want to further know the characters.  Especially the male lead.  Normally, I find the female characters more interesting than the males, but in Shadow Children, the boy was the more intriguing character.  

Duel Identity/ Pandora's Blogs (Red Giant)- Duel Identity had a cool premise what with a superheroine (Andromeda) playing double agent as the super assassin Artemis. It definitely has a classic superhero vibe and seems like it could be a lot of fun.  Pandora's Blogs, though, had a promising cover but the pacing was choppy and sometimes sloppy, and I had to suspend my disbelief more consciously than usual.  I also felt like it was trying too hard to be "hip" and just ended up being kinda lame.  Plus points for an ethnic protagonist, though.  

Grimm Fairy Tales Age of Darkness with previews of Dark Queen and Robyn Hood one-shots (Zenescope)- Anthony Spay, cover artist, was at the comic shop I procured this one at so I had him autograph it.  It was an enjoyable read, and I especially liked the varied use of fonts for peoples' dialogue.  The one page Dark Queen preview did nothing for me, but I dug the 2-page Robyn Hood preview.  

Zombie Tramp/ Ehmm Theory/ Dry Spell preview (Action Lab: Danger Zone)- I picked this one up on a whim because, well, Zombie Tramp.  Seriously, how could I not?  I probably had the most fun reading Zombie Tramp, out of all my freebies.  Sure, it's mindlessly fun, fanservicey schlock, but it's well-done fanservicey schlock with a wide variety of cool art styles employed throughout its duration.  Sadly, I didn't like Ehmm Theory.  The blank backgrounds did nothing for me and the comic as a whole made no sense.  The 3-page Dry Spell preview was cool, though, and I want to read more.  

So basically, the Free Comic Book Day winners for me are Zombie Tramp, Dry Spell, and Shadow Children.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:05:35 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 02:30:34 PM »

Anyone read Seconds by Bryan Lee O'Malley yet? It's fucking great.
glassjawsh
will argue out of boredom

"You're pretty punk, Steve" - Dolphin

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »

Can't believe no one has mentioned Neil Gaimon's classic The Sandman or Brian Vaughn's (The same guy who wrote Saga) masterpiece Y the Last Man

You're wrong, Frank. I'm not a kid, I'm a man. I am gonna get you better, and then I'm going to beat you to death!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »

I loved Y's premise, but I couldn't get into the comic itself. I really need to read my issues of Saga that I got from a Humble book bundle, though.

And for some reason I always thought Sandman was about the Spiderman character...didn't realize it was DC/Vertigo. I'm definitely much more interested in it now.

Also, I got Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 1. Still got to read it, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:50:10 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:42 AM »

For recent stuff, I really like Wolverine and the X-men, the current Hawkeye run, Sec Criminals and Fatale which just ended. Saga is also a really big one but has been updating really slowly.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: