Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330163 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The comic books thread. What's your fave? Marvel? DC? Top Cow?  (Read 5636 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »

I'm sure plenty of us here at the 'fan love comic books.  What are some comics you like and why?  What genres do you like?  Superhero?  Sci-fi? Fantasy?  

Do you have a favorite publisher?  Among the big two, do you prefer DC or Marvel?  Or do you lean toward alternate publishers like Top Cow, Dark Horse, and the like?  Do you visit comic book stores in your neighborhood?  How are they?  There are multiple near me and I think I've found the one that I really like and will loyally frequent.  

Among the big two, I prefer Marvel.  DC does some excellent stuff, but Marvel stokes my fire much more.  Growing up, I preferred "Spider-friends" to "Super-friends" and when I was first introduced to X-men, that was it for me.  Storm is still my favorite comic book character.  I just recently read the 2011 Marvel/Crossgen reboot of Sigil and I dug it; the art style was vivid and Samantha Rey was a cool protagonist.  I hope the series continues beyond this initial 4-comic story arc, but I kinda doubt it.

EDIT (whoa, time warp!)- lately, the more I've been reading and delving into more comics by the big two, I find myself favoring DC over Marvel lately.  Like, there's more DC stuff that I want to buy than Marvel stuff.  Like Trinity of Sin: Pandora, Worlds' Finest

I also recently read the first four issues of Ascension (published by Top Cow) and I love the art style and am getting into it, but I read that the series is unfinished due to low sales.  Too bad, because it's good.  I especially love the vivid art style.  

So, yeah, let's talk comic books.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:06:58 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:53:59 PM »

I'm more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan, and that's 95% because DC's 90s cartoons (Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Justice League, Batman Beyond, Static Shock) were way better than anything Marvel produced.  The only current DC books I follow are Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and recently Superman Unchained, but all of those are excellent and I recommend them wholeheartedly.  DC also still runs the Vertigo imprint; Vertigo is probably my favorites comics label of all time.  My favorite DC character of all time is Batman, but I also have immense appreciation for Nightwing (especially Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder's runs on him in 2009-2011), Wonder Woman (GEORGE PEREZ GREG RUCKA GAIL SIMONE!!!!!1!1!!111) and Animal Man (original Grant Morrison series and subsequent Vertigo comics).  

My favorite Marvel books now are probably Superior Spider-Man, Wolverine & The X-Men (Logan as headmaster of a new mutant school) and All-Female X-Men (self-explanatory), but there's some good stuff going on right now.  Favorite Marvel character of all time is probably Beast.  I'd explain Superior Spider-Man to you guys, but those of you not in the know would probably flip a shit.  (major spoilers).  Seriously, I don't even want to talk about Superior Spider-Man unless you already know the twist.

In terms of stuff I collect in trades, I'm currently reading American Vampire by Scott Snyder, Saga by Brian K. Vaughan, and The Unwritten by Mike Carey.  I also recently finished Irredeemable by Mark Waid.  Those four are probably the best comics I've read in the past two years.  I'll talk about those four here, because they don't receive NEARLY as much attention as mainstream DC and Marvel stuff and I'm always eager to talk about them.  

American Vampire - with episodes set in the 1880s, 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s (I'm only at volume 3), American Vampire chronicles the lives of Pearl Jones and Skinner Sweet, two new-species vampires born in different eras of American history.  The underworld is dominated by a rule of European vampires of Dracula's ilk, while Pearl and Skinner are day-walking terrors with new powers and weaknesses, having been turned under unusual circumstances on American soil.  The old vampires view them as abominations, Skinner wants to live a hard and fast un-life, and Pearl just wants to be left alone.  American Vampire is some the best vampire fiction out there.  

The Unwritten
- Tom Taylor is the son of legendary fantasy author Winston Taylor, whose Tommy Taylor books (an obvious send-up of Harry Potter) are the most popular books in the world.  Tom Taylor has lived under his father's shadow and made a living speaking at conventions, but resents his father for his rough upbringing.  Eventually Tom and some allies unearth a literary conspiracy spanning millennia and discover that they can use the spells in the Tommy Taylor books as long as there are enough believers in the magic of fiction.  It's pretty incredible.  

Saga - this is the series that BKV allegedly wanted to make all his life, and I think it's his best work since Y: The Last Man (one of the best comic books of the past twenty years).  Set in an interstellar war between two species, one of which is technologically advanced and the other of which is shamanistic and able to wield magic powers.  Alana and Marko, soldiers from opposite sides, fall in love and try to raise the first known inter-species child ever conceived.  Saga is an excellent space opera that I implore you check out.  

Irredeemable - what if Superman totally snapped?  Legendary writer Mark Waid (author of Tower of Babel, Kingdom Come, and some groundbreaking material for Flash and Daredevil, among others) creates a rich universe of unique superheroes, with the all-powerful Plutonian front and center.  Plutonian is similar to Superman, with senses capable of detecting any sight or sound on earth and a myriad of incredible, nigh-invincible powers.  "Tony" grows sick of all the criticism, ridicule, and opposition that superheroes receive, so he loses his goddamn mind, murders most of his former teammates and adversaries, and starts erasing entire nations.  Irredeemable is a superhero drama among superhero dramas, with superheroes, supervillains, armies, aliens, and extradimensional beings all teaming up to stop the one that used to be the greatest of them all.  I recently finished the series (which ended in early 2012) and it's amazing.  

So does any of that sound good to you?  Check them out!  The more people that read those four books, the better I feel about comics.  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:09:14 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »

Knights of the Dinner Table

As far as DC and Marvel go I'm off the map. I have The Killing Joke and Days of Future Passed waiting for me here.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »

American Vampire

The Unwritten

Saga
Irredeemable

These all sound really interesting.  I just might have to check them out.  American Vampire seems the most interesting to me, since I'm intrigued by Skinner's character.  When it comes to vampires, I always liked the "apex predator" type vampires best.  

EDIT: I'm also interested to find out more about female comic book writers, especially women who pen superhero comics.  That's definitely a comic book subgenre that's lacking that perspective. I'm definitely digging Becky Cloonan's work.  I really like her art style.  Wolves is really intense and I definitely want to read East Coast Rising, because I'm amused by the concept of punk pirates. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:31:41 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »

I'm a Marvel guy. Well I was but I stopped buying regularly around 10 years ago. I've bought a couple of X-men and various other titles over the last few years but I don't know what the hell is going on and its gotten way too expensive in my opinion to collect and follow storylines that cross over into 3 or 4 other titles.
Anyway, I followed the X books mostly in the 90's with favorites being the big events like Xecutioners Song and The Age of Apocalypse. I also followed Spidey, Punisher and the other staples. The What If? Books were fun and I also read Deaths Head but that one was a Marvel UK book and tricky to find.
 I had some good collectables for a while including all 5 covers of The Xmen no.1 reboot, Spawn no.1, XForce no. 1 as well as the the last issue of New Mutants. First appearance of Venom, War Zone no.1... I forget the rest.
I sold off all my comics a few years back and I reaaaaally regret it.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:10:55 PM »

I've heard good things about Collider #1 (Vertigo) so I'm going to see how that is.  And because it looks like high-camp cyberpunk and was only a buck, I'm checking out Bubblegun #1 (Aspen MLT).

EDIT:  Just finished reading these.  

I can see why a lot of folks are really into Collider, but I simply could not get into it.  I did not really like the art style or any of the characters.  Plus, the premise was too far-fetched, even for a comic book.  I will not be continuing this series.  

Bubblegun, on the other hand, totally spoke my language.  It was campy, the art was great, and it actually wasn't too fanservicey.  Molli actually wears full body armor!  I think I've found a new series to follow.  I want to check out Overtaken (a new Aspen series whose first issue should be out later this month for $1 as part of Aspen's 10 for 10 deal.)  That one looks cool.  Not cheesecake-y like a lot of Aspen's other stuff. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 06:57:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »

The only comics I've read from Aspen are a few of their Executive Assistant issues.  The writing is... lacking, but the art is good and cheesecake-a-riffic. 

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »

I'm not a huge comic buff anymore, but I love me some Astro City.

Of course, no comic has ever grabbed me like Transmetropolitan.  Hell, no ANYTHING has ever grabbed me like Transmet.  It had a huge impact on me personally and professionally.  It both got me into and out of the journalism business. :P

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

I've been reading the Batman Beyond line for a while now, because I love me some DCAU.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »

How do you folks feel about reading comics, manga, and graphic novels on e-readers (like Kindle Fire) or tablets (like iPad)?  I HATED reading comics on Kindle Fire and they're far more doable on an iPad, but nothing beats holding the real thing for me.  

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE e-readers for novels.  Being able to increase the font size in a lengthy novel with the push of a button is great.  I also like the portable size, since it can be a pain to lug around epic fantasy tomes like Song of Ice and Fire.  Plus, if something in book 5 is referenced in book 1, I can quickly go to book 1 (in my Kindle) and look for that part.  But for comics, manga, and graphic novels, I prefer the real thing.  

I also love spending time browsing around my neighborhood comic book stores for stuff I normally wouldn't know about otherwise.  That's how I stumbled onto a lot of neat stuff I wouldn't have even known about.  I hope I can still enjoy that for a few years longer before the inevitable "digital age" makes the neighborhood comic book store obsolete.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:20:59 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

I like e-readers for comics since having a bunch of graphic novels and comic books around is just too messy for me. Plus going back and finding them is much more convenient on a e-reader, too.

...Not that I read a lot of comics anymore. I used to have a bunch, but I honestly grew out of superhero comics, and I've been having trouble getting into non-superhero comics. The last comic I read that I enjoyed was a 4-issue indie comic called Command Review...whose plot I can't remember anything about, and I'm not even sure how I ever found it. Did I dream it up? All I know is it gave me the idea to check out super-obscure comics looking for hidden gems...which just led to a lot of wasted money on really terrible comics. Turns out they were all obscure because no one liked them. Who knew?

I know I'm still on the hunt for a comedy comic that's not a comic strip. You know, something that's light-hearted yet still at least somewhat story-focused? And doesn't completely suck? I've wanted to read something like that since I was a little kid. Closest I got was Deadpool, but that's still too much of a superhero comic for my tastes and I just couldn't get into it. (and of course I've found some really crappy ones, but I'd rather not talk about those...)

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:56:05 PM »

I really liked the Ultimate Spiderman series, and then ultimatum happened, and I don't know what happened after that because I stopped reading. I've always meant to go back and read the newer ultimate spiderman, and finish off ultimate x-men.

I also casually read the newer rendition of Supergirl, at least before it's most modern reboot (a couple years ago now?).

That being said, for the most part I prefer Marvel to DC, but not by a whole lot. I also really liked Allstar Superman.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 12:02:01 AM »

All-Star Superman and A Superman For All Seasons are for my money the best Superman books.  Not counting the Grant Morrison run of JLA, which is one of my favorite superhero books of all time. 

For fans of early Vertigo goodness (i.e. The Walking Dead, American Vampire) we might have the next big comic book TV show on our hands.  AMC ordered a pilot for Preacher.  Preacher is excellent, and its general format (3 core characters usually traveling) is ripe for adaptation into hour-long episodes.  New content wouldn't be challenging to implement, either.  I love Preacher, so naturally I'm cautiously optimistic. 

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 10:17:52 PM »

http://unlikelyheroesstudios.com/

I was recently turned onto this indie comic publisher Unlikely Hero Studios and their debut comic Super!  I've read the first 3 issues and I'm enjoying it a lot.  It's top quality stuff; the writing, the art, the comic books themselves.  I hope this little dev house gets big, because so far, this stuff is good!

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 12:27:57 AM »

I recently spent like 90 dollars re-buying the Age of Apocalypse series. Well worth it.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: