Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:43:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327550 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kickstart PS1 style RPG, takes place over 3 decades.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kickstart PS1 style RPG, takes place over 3 decades.  (Read 1240 times)
cab8901

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »

I have supported about 20 projects, and recently saw a really interesting PS1 looking RPG that takes place over 3 decades..... looks promising.

Celestian Tales: Old North

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ekuatorgames/celestian-tales-old-north
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »

It looks okay. I like the animation and art-style, but I don't think I'm interested in a game like this anymore. I wish them luck, but I don't see them reaching 40K in the next 10 days or so.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:04 PM »

Better looking than the other one and looks to be more clearly inspired by Suikoden and possibly SaGa games rather than FFTA. Still, there are quite a few of these types of games coming out and I don't know if they can match their ambition.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »

Lmao @ the writing. Literally engrish. "I'll get my equipments."

Not really impressed overall but good luck to em.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »

The one PS1 style RPG on Kickstarter that I like is Soul Saga, but the big reason for that is that Aivi Tran's doing the music and I really like her stuff. 

http://www.disastercake.com

I approve of this nonsense!
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

The one PS1 style RPG on Kickstarter that I like is Soul Saga, but the big reason for that is that Aivi Tran's doing the music and I really like her stuff

This.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:53:14 PM »

The one PS1 style RPG on Kickstarter that I like is Soul Saga, but the big reason for that is that Aivi Tran's doing the music and I really like her stuff

This.

Double this. I backed the game based on the interview she did on the podcast.

That being said, I really, really, really like the art style on this Old North game.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »

Yeah, I love the artistry going into this -- about 1000x better than that Final Fantasy rip that's also getting some press.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »

The one PS1 style RPG on Kickstarter that I like is Soul Saga, but the big reason for that is that Aivi Tran's doing the music and I really like her stuff. 

that looks freakin' awesome... i may be more excited to see this than most future prospects I am aware of ATM

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »

that looks freakin' awesome... i may be more excited to see this than most future prospects I am aware of ATM

Ah that's the one I mentioned in my post.

yeah, dislike on grounds of FF-ripoff.  I hope it plays (and for Din --) sounds better than it looks.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »

But how many JRPGs out there can you say truly aren't Final Fantasy rips/clones/whatever?  Heck, one could argue that the cool stuff in modern FF games were done first in the old school Phantasy Star games.  Streets of Rage was basically a Final Fight clone, but was a really farking GOOD Final Fight clone.  I personally enjoyed Streets of Rage far more than Final Fight.   

With Soul Saga, I actually get more of a Wild Arms meets Atelier vibe from it than an FF vibe (though, yes, Taro does look a lot like an FFT moogle.) 

PrismFlux
Contributing Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »

I like this game idea and the way it looks. But I'm sad that I can't ask the developers to meet up with me to chat about it... since they're based in Indonesia.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »

And with Kickstarter projects popping up left and right, there's plenty of weeds out there along with the flowers.  So even in terms of developer interviews and stuff, I'd at least wait till the project has been fully funded post-campaign so I'm not jumping the gun. 

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »

Yeah I usually wait to see how the funding is going...I was going to back Liege, but completely forgot that it ended a couple days ago.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »

And with Kickstarter projects popping up left and right, there's plenty of weeds out there along with the flowers.  So even in terms of developer interviews and stuff, I'd at least wait till the project has been fully funded post-campaign so I'm not jumping the gun

Most gaming journalists think along similar lines.  This kind of perpetuates an unfortunate situation where only the crowd-funded games that have already met their goal get publicity and all of the promising projects that didn't make it remain overlooked.   I'm not saying I don't understand the reluctance to cover every half decent sounding Kickstarter game that comes along, but  it's a shame that I've seen some truly great looking projects get ignored.

Anyway, I backed Celestian Tales because the story concept sounds great.  I like that the developers seem to be steering away from a lot of the big fantasy and JRPG cliches; i.e., no whiny amnesiac chosen one kid with daddy issues.  Also, I just really like the idea of JRPG that emphasizes choice and consequence: the story will span three decades, so the six playable characters will age as the story progresses.  Ultimately the player's decisions affect how the characters grow up.    The developers said that if they don't reach their goal this time, they will try again (possibly with a lower goal / less physical reward options). 

Yeah I usually wait to see how the funding is going...I was going to back Liege, but completely forgot that it ended a couple days ago.

Well, remember if a KS project doesn't reach the goal, you're not charged so there's no harm in backing a "long shot" project that interests you.  Btw, the developer of Liege is still offering the option to back the game via Paypal. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:38:07 AM by daved » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: