Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 05, 2015, 09:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
360473 Posts in 14630 Topics by 2274 Members
Latest Member: DucretAlex
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.  (Read 17657 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2015, 01:47:50 AM »

My problem with the screens isn't that the graphics look "objectively" bad or anything, it's that it lacks style. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre both have technically unimpressive visuals but are nevertheless really nice to look at. FFXII was impressive in both regards but that would be an unfair comparison. This can get fixed by appropriate lighting and whatnot though, which is why it's hard to really pass judgment on early screenshots like these.

As far as the flanking thing goes I don't think it'd be too difficult to display (I think FFXIV does it really well by having a ring under enemies that let you know exactly what range is considered the back of the enemy), but I will agree that most games that try doing the circular movement thing don't design the maps to accommodate that very well.

Yeah. We're probably looking at the proto of the game's Sweegy Woods or something. I'm not terribly worried on that front.

Sadly, I think the best example of a circular based combat system for an RPG I've ever played is Quest 64's battle system. Namely because encounters literally drops a ring around your character when he gets into a battle, wherever he is, to fight in or escape from in case of a crisis (though you're screwed if you come under-prepared for a boss fight, or if you're surrounded in a tight corridor). Which would've been really nice if 90% of the game's environments didn't either consist of narrow corridors or featureless plains/deserts, and if the player had more than one playable character to use so that fights didn't devolve into Dragon Quest 1 style fights of 'run up to enemy and wail on them with your Shillelagh/cast a spell that wails on them', 'get wailed upon', 'repeat'; or if you're underleveled and really hurting (and god help you if you are) 'run away + cast healing spell', 'get wailed upon for almost all the health you just healed back', 'repeat until you're full HP or out of MP', 'wail upon enemy with your Shillelagh/burn MP restoring item', 'hope you don't die during the enemy phase', 'resume healing', 'repeat'.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2015, 08:03:48 AM »

My problem with the screens isn't that the graphics look "objectively" bad or anything, it's that it lacks style. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre both have technically unimpressive visuals but are nevertheless really nice to look at. FFXII was impressive in both regards but that would be an unfair comparison. This can get fixed by appropriate lighting and whatnot though, which is why it's hard to really pass judgment on early screenshots like these.

My thoughts exactly. It's still quite early I guess but this looks incredibly amateurish and nothing like the preview artwork. The artwork, if memory serves, was very much in that Vagrant Story/FF Tactics vein. Very gritty medieval realism. These screens couldn't look further if they tried. And what happened to the hexagonal grid? That was this game right?
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »

My thoughts exactly. It's still quite early I guess but this looks incredibly amateurish and nothing like the preview artwork. The artwork, if memory serves, was very much in that Vagrant Story/FF Tactics vein. Very gritty medieval realism. These screens couldn't look further if they tried. And what happened to the hexagonal grid? That was this game right?

Sort of.  It was supposed to a bunch of triangles... which appeared to form a bunch of hexagons.

However, this would have differed from a typical hex-based strategy grid in that the hexes overlapped.  Characters were to stand on the intersection of the intersection of the triangles.  Here's the Kickstarter update going over the concept.  Note that they did say it was just preliminary ideas that were subject to change.  I'm guessing they tried the triangle grid in an early prototype and it just didn't work well.

In the alpha screenshots, it does seem that they've changed to a square-grid, but it will apparently allow diagonal movement, rather than being limited to 4 directions.

I agree somewhat about the current art style... It is may just be that it is still far from the final visual pass and once they polish everything it will be more closely resemble the concept art.   This is why developers usually don't show screenshots early in a game's development; everyone starts assuming it is what the final product will look like.  They say repeatedly that this is "early" screenshot so I'm not going to worry about the visuals just yet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:18:40 AM by daved » Logged
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2015, 01:46:18 AM »

I think the moral of the story should be don't donate to kickstarters unless they have preview footage.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

I think the moral of the story should be don't donate to kickstarters unless they have preview footage.
That's hardly fair. You should totally donate to Kickstarters for companies with good track records in similar endeavors. And even if there is track record, you should back it if it looks good as long as you understand that there is always a risk of things going south. While I personally pulled out upon realizing that Matsuno was responsible for one of my most hated games, I think it is too early to say that it was a mistake for people who did back it. I imagine that the models currently in use are just placeholder models, so it is yet to be seen what the final game will look like.
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:36 AM »

Sure I guess you can put your trust in companies. Although personally I can only count about 3 or 4 that I would apriori trust to make a good game while it's still at the concept level.
What game did he make that you hated? I've played all of his Ivalicey type games. One of them?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2015, 06:20:47 AM »

Given how preview footage these days, even from non-KS projects, are full of bullshots and fake gameplay, even that wouldn't help much.

Kickstarter sounds great but the majority of the projects I've been interested in have turned out to be duds. I'm sure that's coloring my expectations for this game somewhat, but like I said, I still want to give it a chance.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »

Sure I guess you can put your trust in companies. Although personally I can only count about 3 or 4 that I would apriori trust to make a good game while it's still at the concept level.
What game did he make that you hated? I've played all of his Ivalicey type games. One of them?
FF12, don't get me started on it. >.>

Given how preview footage these days, even from non-KS projects, are full of bullshots and fake gameplay, even that wouldn't help much.

Kickstarter sounds great but the majority of the projects I've been interested in have turned out to be duds. I'm sure that's coloring my expectations for this game somewhat, but like I said, I still want to give it a chance.
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Kickstarters. I consider myself a pretty active backer on Kickstarter (have backed 50 projects) and I have very rarely been disappointed in the projects. Closest things to disappointment I have had are projects missing their "estimated delivery date".....which happens fairly frequently due to unexpected delays and one project I backed for a chocolate maker where the chocolate I got was too bitter for my tastes, which I should have expected since there was no added sugar to it.

Admittedly, none of the video game projects I have backed have been released yet so all of them could end up being duds, but the first (Pillars of Eternity) drops this month and it looks to be exactly what it promised to be. So yeah, you can get good stuff from Kickstarter.
timmyFd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »

Oh I'm entirely pro-kickstarter in principle. While I'm sure there are some duds, there are also a hell of a lot of great games that've come out of it.

And yes, you're right about gameplay previews.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2015, 08:13:18 PM »

As one of this project's biggest detractors, I have to say the screens give me faith.

I WANT this to be good. I'm just understandably pessimistic.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:25 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/1157481

A new update for the unready.

Mainly a piece or two of artwork and some info on class mechanics and stat functions.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: