Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:34:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Breath of Fire 6 announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Breath of Fire 6 announced  (Read 5061 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »

I can almost taste the salt in this thread.
But still, damage is already done and everyone is going to have to deal with it. I did with DmC, and that whole deal was fairly ugly too.
Its probably me .I have been leaving a trail of salt in my wake wherever I go today.

Crapcom continues to shit on thier IP's fanbases and wonder why we don't eat it up like its godeva chocolate when sales bomb, or fail to meet expectations.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »

I was expecting a handheld game. I would've been fine that.

You think? With the amount of complaints there is about... anything I would be surprised seeing a reaction online that wasn't negative.

It's not really binary, and to be honest I sort of wonder if you'd get similar levels of negativity handheld OR console. Console would likely have been another extreme departure similar to BoFV (or, errr, this) and some of us do prefer playing RPGs on handhelds, and vice versa it could be more traditional on handhelds but that's hardly a guarantee and the group that got angry over DQIX or SMTIV being on handhelds would get angry/disappointed here too.

Mobile? That pissed off or greatly disappointed most everyone I've seen online, apparently pissed off many of the Japanese base, and has that added layer of being damning on where Capcom's going these days which neither a console or handheld release did. Plus at least with DmC we knew where they developers went (Dragon's Dogma) and that's a passion project so it's very arguable that in regards to the second development team they did what's right, even if their choice of outsourcing was questionable. Who knows where any of the BoF staff or, or if they are there but got forced into this shit.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »

You think? With the amount of complaints there is about... anything I would be surprised seeing a reaction online that wasn't negative.

But still, damage is already done and everyone is going to have to deal with it. I did with DmC, and that whole deal was fairly ugly too.

I'm not sure why you're taking such a high stance on this; as if people shouldn't be upset and we should bend over and take it. For this to happen, even if you think we should have expected it, is unforgivable from a fan's point of view. It's been 10 years since a game in the series and this is how Capcom decides to bring the series back? Give me a break.

Sure, we are going to have to deal with it, but that doesn't mean we can't piss and moan about it in the process.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:01 PM »

While you are right that there would've been complaints no matter what they did, whether it ending up on a handheld would've only have been a side issue to the debate over whether the game should've been more like BoFV or one of the older games. Of course this is all academic due to Crapcom taking a third option in shitting out yet another quick and dirty cash-in ala Megaman Xover.

This isn't even a matter of "Wait and see..." since the game looks like it was made in RPGMaker, showing no visible signs of any meaningful relation to the previous games, we've seen the results of their previous quick and dirty cash-ins, and they will likely pull again with other nostalgia bait ("How would you guy's like an iOS Darkstalkers CCG featuring jiggly boobs?").

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »

I'm just afraid that after this thing tanks, Capcom is going to be snide and say in an interview that they won't touch BoF because they were testing the water with this and the fans didn't answer.
Infy
Contributing Editor

morethntoast
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »

Breath of Fire is one of my all time favorite series. I am forced, because of this, to be cautiously optimistic with this upcoming release. It does make me feel better that they haven't just forgotten this series all together, with the almost insulting inclusion of Ryu as a card in UMVC, and with BoF6 being announced.

Fault lines should be worn with pride.
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2013, 09:49:32 PM »

Breath of Fire is one of my all time favorite series. I am forced, because of this, to be cautiously optimistic with this upcoming release. It does make me feel better that they haven't just forgotten this series all together, with the almost insulting inclusion of Ryu as a card in UMVC, and with BoF6 being announced.

Yeah, don't forget, Mobile =/= Social. There's always the chance that it could be a decent game. After all, I'd say it has been shown that mobile platforms are, at the very least, technologically CAPABLE of providing the experience of a good RPG.

Will it end well? PROBABLY not. As people said, the sprites already look very mediocre, and this is Capcom we're talking about. But I'm not entirely sure it should be condemned QUITE yet, especially because we barely know anything about it. I'm disappointed that it wasn't a 3DS game (which it COULD have been) but that's just evil Capcom the PUBLISHER. If it's given a good development team that cares about the game they're making, then there's the makings of a good game.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »

Except, it is Online/Social.

Even the very first image in the OP says Online in Romaji. And see the little picture of Japan with the players popping out of it?

Edit:
RE the handheld bit:
I would have been absolutely fine if a true BoFVI was on a handheld. In its current state, from the little we've seen, this probably doesn't even deserve the name BoF.  No Ryu, Nina, or Dragons, why bother?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:13:59 PM by Cyril » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »

You know, they could have done the anniversary thing or whatever by re-translating 2. Because, seriously, that game had a godawful translation.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2013, 10:40:59 PM »

You know, they could have done the anniversary thing or whatever by re-translating 2. Because, seriously, that game had a godawful translation.

They could've rebalanced it to make it less of a backtrack-a-thon too, or at least make Simafort not suck all the cocks.

Hell, I would've taken a BoF fighting game over this piece of shit.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

You do realize handheld RPGs generally garner favorable reviews, right? And no offense, but DMC was very well received, only fanboys gave it shit.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »

Ugh... okay. I'm going to say this one last time. DmC is not that same as MML, or this. MML got cancelled. Nobody got a chance to play it. This game is a mobile social game, as far away from a single player story-focused turn based RPG as one can get. DmC was still a fucking action game that still featured Dante and Vergil that people were able to play.

If you don't want to give it a chance, fine. Stop fucking bitching about it and comparing it to things that it can't possibly compare to.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 11:15:55 PM »

Ugh... okay. I'm going to say this one last time. DmC is not that same as MML, or this. MML got cancelled. Nobody got a chance to play it. This game is a mobile social game, as far away from a single player story-focused turn based RPG as one can get. DmC was still a fucking action game that still featured Dante and Vergil that people were able to play.

If you don't want to give it a chance, fine. Stop fucking bitching about it and comparing it to things that it can't possibly compare to.
Man, I hope you can prescribe an ointment for that massive BURN!

Seriously though, MML3 isn't even the worst thing they've done. Lets face facts, the Megaman fanbase consists of 30-40year old men who can't get over how groundbreaking Mega Man 2 was, or a bunch of 14 year olds who play the terrible handheld strategy action shits. Capcom can't figure out where to go with Mega Man because fans are on opposite ends of the spectrum. At least DMC did nothing to change what the game was, just how it was viewed. More of an attempt to pull new blood in honestly. BoF has been a dead issue for what...10 years now? Japan has a huge market for the social cell phone shit, 2+2=4...you all get the idea.

As a fan, I'm fucking livid. As a consumer, I'm disinterested because this ain't japan. If I were a japanese gamer, odds are I'd be into this. In any case, the first option is what most of us feel, so lets agree here that capcom can get fingered by a large polish man.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

As a fan, I'm fucking livid. As a consumer, I'm disinterested because this ain't japan. If I were a japanese gamer, odds are I'd be into this. In any case, the first option is what most of us feel, so lets agree here that capcom can get fingered by a large polish man.

Many Japanese gamers are acting the same as us actually, some of the statements are pretty similar really. And I agree, it would be better if CD Projekt Red took over Capcom.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »

Yeah, some of the Japanese blog posts are creepily reminiscent of ours.

I saw at least 2-3 saying things like "don't call it '6'" and some people expressing frustration with Capcom.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: