Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:39:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite RPG romance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite RPG romance  (Read 3087 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

I still think the big pimp in RPGs is Meis from Thousand Arms.  Where characters like Irvine claim to be womanizers, they're all talk whereas Meis walks the walk.  He dates every girl in his party AND hass girlfriends in various towns (including the little sister of one of his party members.)  Heck, he even dates a priestess who's probably 200 years old or something. 

...pity Ratchet wasn't date-able in that game.  le sigh. 

I agree, but fish people man....fish people!!

I love the hell outta Meis though, that was a title that I wish we got PSN treatment for.

Thousand Arms on PSN would be fantastic. 

As for the fish-people... must resist urge to make lewd and crude jokes. 

You know what, just reference the "Futurama: Atlanta episode" and I think we're square.

Luke/Tear. I love their relationship and find it very complex. It begins as reluctant companionship, evolves into a kind of student/teacher relationship and finally as Luke matures, the feelings begin to deepen. I love how Luke is the naive one in this relationship, with Tear being the jaded, experienced half of the pair.

Since we've been discussing SO2 lately, I also really like some of the various pairings from that game, but my favorite is Chisato and Dias. Given their personalities, I think they are a good match and frankly look good together.

A lot of people avoid the synopsis section in Tales games since they're kinda redundant right after scenes.  But if you haven't, read the entry in Tales of the Abyss that happens right after the "night before the final battle" event.  ;)

And I don't get it, but that's the SECOND person I've seen quite adamant about the non-cannon Chisato/Dias relationship. I may have to give this a shot next time around, I'm damn curious.
I do like the Claude/Rena relationship; I think they're quite unique enough.  Claude with his loneliness and daddy issues and Rena with a complicated past.  I also think the game is pulling off a dual-hero system better than Xillia....womp wooomp.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »

The reason why Dias is often shipped with Chisato is easy. It's because it's what's left over that kinda makes sense.

Claude x Rena
Celine x Prince
Ashton x Eleanor
Opera x Ernest
Bowman x his wife

Leon x Precis ?
Dias x Chisato ?

Noel x a dog ( http://mangafox.me/manga/star_ocean_2/v03/c012/23.html )
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 10:45:42 PM »

The reason why Dias is often shipped with Chisato is easy. It's because it's what's left over that kinda makes sense.

Claude x Rena
Celine x Prince
Ashton x Eleanor
Opera x Ernest
Bowman x his wife

Leon x Precis ?
Dias x Chisato ?

While I agree that this is probably the case, the reason I ship Chisato x Dias is because one day I was reading the text for endings that pairings that seemed interesting and the text for their ending came off as pretty sweet. I don't know if it's unique to just them, or if Dias x other pairings have something similar, but it stoked the interest for me.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »

I am a big fan of romances in RPGs. It almost always improves a game in my eyes when there is one......although there are exceptions (I'm looking at you Asbel/Cheria). When it comes to favorites though....ugh that is a hard call to make. I mean there are just so many options and I can barely remember what I liked about some of the ones from games I played like a decade ago. >.> Rival Merrill is certainly my favorite romance in a WRPG (because I barely play those), and Kira from SWtOR is probably second place. But JRPGs those I've got a lot more potential options for. I just took a quick skim through my PS2/PS3 library and the one that I felt the strongest for was Wein/Charlotte in Growlanser 2. I think I just liked how that one evolved. Some others that come to mind are Lyner/Aurica (Ar Tonelico 1), Sora/Kairi (Kingdom Hearts series, I don't care if it is cheesy, I like it), Heseo/Alkaid(.hack//G.U. series) and Fei/Elly (Xenogears). And a some of romances I liked, where I don't remember the character names, were Dragon Quest 8 and Odin Sphere. I liked a tone of others, but I won't list out every single one.

Gotta go with Haseo & Atoli in .Hack//GU. I'm not even sure why I found their romance so moving. Both characters were kind of annoying in their own way, but I still found myself rooting for them and thought the conclusion rather touching.

No, Haseo's love interest is Alkaid. Don't know what this Atoli stuff that you're talking about is. :p *covers his ears*

Claude x Rena
Celine x Prince
Ashton x Eleanor
Opera x Ernest
Bowman x his wife

Leon x Precis ?
Dias x Chisato ?

Eh I always like pairing Ashton with Precis. I pair Noel with Chisato since they are both from the same planet......then I tend to pair Celine with Noel because they are the leftovers of my party. >.>
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »

The epilogue in Lunar II is as feel-good as romance endings get.

Yes. When I saw the topic title this is the first thing I went to. Hiro and Lucia, SO good. Lucia's progression as a character is so good too. <3 <3 <3
Echoing this.  One of my favorite scenes was the dialogue between Lucia and Hiro after the avalanche on Zulan Mountain.

I'm paraphrasing here, by the way:

Lucia: "My mission is to meet with Althena and stop Zophar.  I didn't know or care about anything else.  But I realized that the further away I went, the harder and more painful it became to leave.  So I...came back to you..."

Hiro: "I missed you too, Lucia."

It's that moment that you begin realizing that ZOMG She really cares!  Even if she isn't fully aware of that yet.

Fei + Elly in Xenogears ... and all their soul-connected predecessors. Especially the ones that were sorta-parents for Emeralda.
I'm so glad someone else mentioned this.  I swear, take away the humongous mecha and overbearing religious rhetoric and you'd still have one of the best star-crossed love stories I've ever seen.  Hell, I felt for Fei even in the beginning because you knew he and Alice liked each other, but tradition forbade them from ever being together.

Fang + Vanille in FFXIII ... no "romance" made explicit, but if there were an openly gay couple in an FF game, this would be the place to start. I'll never understand why people don't like Vanille's VA. I must have a high tolerance for ... whatever it is about Vanille. And Fang's accent is super rad.
I love Vanille's VA.  Then again, I love hearing accents in dubs besides the usual American.  Vanille's accent really helped to zazz up the typical "genki girl" that she was trying to be, while Fang's accent just made her that much more badass. 

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »

Quote from: Spoony Mage

I love Vanille's VA.  Then again, I love hearing accents in dubs besides the usual American.  Vanille's accent really helped to zazz up the typical "genki girl" that she was trying to be, while Fang's accent just made her that much more badass.  

The only issue I had with her was that she seemed to rotate between two different accents at random. I do like variety in voice acting though. I loved Xenoblade's voice acting, Reyn time and all.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »

Everyone says that, but the actress is naturally Asutralian. And if you listen to her speak in interviews, she sounds exactly like Vanille.  There's not a lot of switching accents because that is her accent.  Georgia's adorable, her interviews are great fun to watch.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »

Everyone says that, but the actress is naturally Asutralian. And if you listen to her speak in interviews, she sounds exactly like Vanille.  There's not a lot of switching accents because that is her accent.  Georgia's adorable, her interviews are great fun to watch.

I think its because she tries to not have an Australian accent at times, which is silly because, come on, she comes from a land down under.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »

Nothing tops Vanille's orgasmic relationship with her Summon

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »

The non-existent ones.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 05:16:01 PM »

Adol-Dogi in Ys.

Come on, you know they're into each other.  Why else is Adol always completely oblivious to the affections of all the girls who fall in love with him?  And why are Adol and Dogi always adventuring together...

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

Adol and Dogi were mentioned in this feature: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Our_Favorite_RPG_Couples/index.html

I approve of this nonsense!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 05:36:49 PM »

Adol-Dogi in Ys.

Come on, you know they're into each other.  Why else is Adol always completely oblivious to the affections of all the girls who fall in love with him?  And why are Adol and Dogi always adventuring together...

Unfortunately, it was never meant to be as Dogi is far too in love with his own wall busting abilities.

Also considering that Adol is the one who wrote of his adventures, there might be the possibility of an exaggeration or two slipping in there.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Summoner Yuna

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »

How come no one has mentioned Rufus and Alicia from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria?

If there was one relationship in an RPG that felt natural it was this one. I was nearly in tears at the end. They had to go through a lot together and they had to rely on each other.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »

Yes. Here I would basically repeat what I wrote in the feature about Shepard and Garrus.

I will also second Fei and Elly.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: