Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:54:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Favorite RPG romance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Favorite RPG romance  (Read 3918 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:45 PM »

How come no one has mentioned Rufus and Alicia from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria?

If there was one relationship in an RPG that felt natural it was this one. I was nearly in tears at the end. They had to go through a lot together and they had to rely on each other.

Yeah I thought they were really cute myself. 

On a separate line on conversation:  I want "childhood friend" romances to die out.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »

But that's such a common fantasy trope, though.  Not just in video games but in movies too.  How many "teen beat" movies feature the whole "cute childhood friend who was under your nose all along" plotline? 

Yeah, perhaps the "childhood friend" thing is played out, but it will never die.  Especially in the realm of love adventures.  Every love adventure needs the trophy girl, the childhood friend, the moe klutz, the tsundere, and the wildcard (sometimes it's an older woman.)

Then again, JRPG romances always end badly.  Think about how many JRPG protagonists still have both parents.  When a JRPG couple hooks up, one WILL die. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »

But that's such a common fantasy trope, though.  Not just in video games but in movies too.  How many "teen beat" movies feature the whole "cute childhood friend who was under your nose all along" plotline? 

Yeah, perhaps the "childhood friend" thing is played out, but it will never die.  Especially in the realm of love adventures.  Every love adventure needs the trophy girl, the childhood friend, the moe klutz, the tsundere, and the wildcard (sometimes it's an older woman.)

Then again, JRPG romances always end badly.  Think about how many JRPG protagonists still have both parents.  When a JRPG couple hooks up, one WILL die. 

On the other hand I would like the "childhood friend" thing to not be the constant winner when it comes to multiple love interests. It was only amusing in DQV because the game gave you the final say on the matter and, at least in the original version, the game punished you for not choosing the "childhood friend" by taking a dump on her (which is amusing in the cruelty option department).

And the same goes for the first girl (who are typically the "childhood friend" even if they don't start out as one).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »

Hence why love adventures give you a choice.  But it's not like the other choices are much better either since many of them follow by-the-numbers tropes too. 

That's probably why I liked Hourglass of Summer and Crescendo as much as I did; the characters in those games colored outside the lines of whatever their tropes where supposed to be.   

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 09:06:56 PM »

Speaking of love triangles and friends.

Has this thread mentioned Vyse x Aika x Fina?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »

I hadn't, but I guess I was thinking more about couples.  That is as obvious a threesome as you can get in a PG-rated game. 

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

Childhood friend and mysterious girl.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »

Shadow Hearts 1: Yuri and Alice. Yuri's devotion is pretty sweet, especially in the sequel.

Shadow Hearts 2:
Code:
Karin & Her Son :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:15:24 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:28 PM »

I hadn't thought of that.  Then again, that's a rare and refreshing example of an OT3 without the typical romantic triangle drama. 

Unlike say, Dean x Rebecca x Avril in Wild Arms 5 where they pretty much fit the same roles as the Arcadia threesome (Hero/Childhood Friend/Mysterious Waif).  That probably wouldn't have been so bad if Dean wasn't such an idiot when it came to noticing a girls feelings, or if Rebecca didn't toe the line of becoming a bitchy tsundere so often.  Sad part is, Rebecca was still my favorite of the three main girls in WA5.  :/

Speaking of Wild Arms triangles, Rudy x Cecilia x Jane was actually quite decent if subtle...well, as subtle as one can get when Jane is involved.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:45:56 PM by Spoony Mage » Logged

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 06:50:47 AM »

How come no one has mentioned Rufus and Alicia from Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria?

If there was one relationship in an RPG that felt natural it was this one. I was nearly in tears at the end. They had to go through a lot together and they had to rely on each other.
Because that thing gets all sorts of creepy in the ending.

Code:
As I recall, in the ending, you end up with an immortal Rufus watching a reincarnated child Alicia. Creepiness is then turned up to 11.

Also I disliked the game, so the only things I remember are that the relationship was creepy and some rule about undead being able to enter Valhalla or something unlike the living.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: