Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 05:47:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338759 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXII-Anyone waiting for this title...worth the wait?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXII-Anyone waiting for this title...worth the wait?  (Read 6959 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 11:12:37 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Quote from: "The Darkrider"
That's crazy. How can you take off 3.5 points just because you think the story wasn't fleshed out enough?

While I did not make the statement, I can explain how they did it.

10.0 - 3.5 = 6.5

I understand math.

And I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant. Taking 3.5 points off just because you feel the story wasn't fleshed out enough isn't fair point dedcution. I anything, it should bring the game to a 8.5 or a 9

But not grammar, apparently.

<------ZOMG TROLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »

So I missed a few letters because I was typing too fast. Grammar Nazi!

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lost Fragment

polybius42
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 12:58:57 AM »

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3154731

1UP says 9.5

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/741/741991p1.html

And IGN says...the same thing.

IGN needs to learn what spellcheck and copy editors are, methinks. That's one of the worst reviews I've ever read, as far as writing goes.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 01:00:46 AM »

I say a motherfucking 10. FFXII owns and that's all there is to it.

BAM.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2006, 02:02:47 AM »

It's a shame to hear the comments from a few posters regarding the story and character development (or lack thereof).  From what I've been reading, I was hoping the storytelling would be somewhat like FFVI, which I loved, and that game has over twice as many playable characters.  At least the game is fun to play, judging by what little I experienced on the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII.

Guess I'll have to play and see.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2006, 03:23:50 AM »

You can at least look forward to excellent characterisation. Having only played this in Japanese so far, I can only comment on the actual use of characters, not the full story. It's wonderfully detailed.
Lovely

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2006, 09:07:25 AM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
That's crazy. How can you take off 3.5 points just because you think the story wasn't fleshed out enough?

While I did not make the statement, I can explain how they did it.

10.0 - 3.5 = 6.5

I understand math.

And I'm pretty sure you understood what I meant. Taking 3.5 points off just because you feel the story wasn't fleshed out enough isn't fair point dedcution. I anything, it should bring the game to a 8.5 or a 9

There are two types of rpg gamers. The first type (and most gaming mags) has gamplay >characters>story.

The second type, like Lilim and myself, judge rpg's for -- characters >story>gameplay.

So for example, while Grandia 3 tends to get high scores for people in the first group. I myself couldn't stand the game, I was bored to death with the characters and that downlplayed my experience. I had to drop it.
So yes, for character and story reasons alone, I too would mark a game down 3 points or MORE.  

So thank you Lilim for your mentioning of your opinion of that aspect of FFXII.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2006, 09:35:55 AM »

I don't think it's that simple (plus it's more like gameplay vs story on a whole). Like I said before, I simply play games that I will, in some way, be happy with. That's an all too convenient catch all, but at the same time, some games should just be taken for what they do well. I thought story was most important to me, then that waned over the years and was completely destroyed by SO3 and XSII, showing how a game with great gameplay can be forgiven for a stupid story, while a good story doesn't make up for crappy gameplay. Nevertheless, if gameplay's simply boring, I can forgive it if I enjoy the story enough: SH:C makes a good example for me, and I've griped enough about the game itself, and to a lesser extent Killer 7 also applies, as hopefully will Contact. SuikV could disprove that, but I was knocked out of my enthrallment by some stupid little outside things, though it took me over a year to get through SH:C, so who knows.

Plus, most game reviewers, regardless of personal preference, need to rate games objectively - and at the end of the day, that's what they are, games. Though that's why I wish more mags/sites had a score category like GameSpot's tilt.

Edit: It's probably worth noting for Grandia III that the gameplay argument apparently falls apart with disc 2's balance. But I have yet to play it, so I can't properly comment.
Lovely

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

With Grandia 3, I got bored before I even REACHED disk 2 XD.
And yeah, I'm simplifying things, but I'm not really a reviewer so...  Anyways, for me, I play games almost soley for the characters. Whether I like them, whether they are interesting, etc....

I honestly don't care TOO much about story in the grand scheme of things. As long as the story has a sense of humor and has fun with it. (For example, Wild Arms 4 was corny as heck, but it seemed to have fun with it, so I loved it XD .  
Code:
anti-tank-chainsaw ftw!!!
)

[/code]

EDIT: As a side note, sorry for my off-topic-ness all ^^;.  I would love to hear some more thoughts about FFX12 from you all, because i'm not honestly sure if I'll ever pick it up. Well, probably eventually, but...
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2006, 11:45:54 AM »

the luck here is that matasno is capable at storylines even if he don't focus on the characters. i said it based solely on vagrant story which had very   interesting story all the way to the end. so if ff12 has more story events than vs it fine for me. what push me back is the battle system i didnt try it yet not even in the demo but it feel like square didnt give matasno freedom to designed it the way he wanted and just say him "use the ff11 system so it maybe  attract those suckers that dare not to pay us"
but i wil try not juage it. ff12 alredy have many juages in and out the game.

dade: But not grammar, apparently
dade you one of the bored guys i see all my life and i live 19 fucking years what you think you are cool or something ? well i tell you you you are not
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 12:40:45 PM »

dade you one of the bored guys i see all my life and i live 19 fucking years what you think you are cool or something ? well i tell you you you are not

You sound like an angry Italian guy who's making threats.  Here, I have some lyrics to compare you to:

You know you're gonna have another accident?
You know I'm involved with black magic?
Fuck you. Die. Bastard.
You think you're so cool, hm? Asshole.

Crepa, pezzo di merda, e vai
a sucare cazzi su un aereo!

(Lyrics taken from Tool's Message to Harry Manback)

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"

You sound like an angry Italian guy who's making threats.  Here, I have some lyrics to compare you to:

Fuck you. Die. Bastard.

Hahaha. I love that track, with the piano and the birds in the background. Too good.

"Oh, a hunter..."
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
h
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"

Fuck you. Die. Bastard.

heheeeeeeee lol! but that dade or whatever is fucking name is was the one to start when he dare to say someting on my mom stupid. i have lyrics of my own to give him

" you such lifeless and wathever you think of me im careless so bye bye ugly guy"
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 01:31:24 PM »

I'm really leery about XII because of the battle system.  It might be considerably less annoying than the snapshot I got of it in the demo, but it really wasn't my cup of tea.  While I'm one of those players who can overlook a bad battle system if other aspects of the game (particularly story) make up for it, on the other hand a bad battle system just generally makes a game more frustrating to me, especially if it's a pretty long game.  Add to that the fact I've been pretty frustrated with recent Final Fantasy games (ever since FFVI there's always been some part of an FF that really annoyed me...for some strange reason IV and I are the only FFs I seem to enjoy wholeheartedly.  X and its demonspawn sequel sealed the deal for me), and honestly I'm pretty apprehensive about the game.  I'll be checking out reviews to see if it's an evolution or simply more of the same with a quirky battle system.  I haven't enjoyed the series for a while, and at some point I have to cut my losses with all the many RPG series out there now.

Grandia in general is a series I only get for the battle system, and there Grandia III shines like always.  Unfortunately, I think the plot is ridiculously bad even by Grandia standards.  I haven't actually gotten around to finishing it yet due to lack of time and partially interest, so I'll have to wait and see if the plot even manages to outdo Xtreme or not.  Early on it's a clear dropoff from Grandia and Grandia II (though I'll point out that I liked neither plot overall).

Suikoden V I loved (especially the plot - what an upgrade from IV's mediocrity), but the battle system was hampered by the fact you could autoattack everything and survive because the game was so darn easy.  

I haven't played VP 2 yet (I've put that in the yearly gift allocation :p), but if it's even half as good as VP, it'd totally be worth getting.  VP was without a doubt one of the best RPGs on the PSX and worth every penny I paid for it.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 02:33:41 PM »

This is going to be the best game ever. Seriously. It's, like, everything I want in an RPG.

Halloween can't come fast enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: