Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 04:12:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319192 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3 Unveiled
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3 Unveiled  (Read 22174 times)
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2006, 03:06:44 PM »

Yeah, it makes a lot more sense once I saw the in-game screenshots. Well, looks great, and you can definetly see Kaneko's influence, which is always a plus. Anyways, I cannot wait any longer to play this, but on the mean time, I need to see if I can grab myself a copy of P2 on eBay.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2006, 05:03:41 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
When I get this game, I vow here and now to never take the dog off my team.

He can summon Persona too...  I don't think he can talk, but one of the other characters (the android) seems to be able to understand him.

I need to see if I can grab myself a copy of P2 on eBay.

Should be pretty cheap.  I'm not sure what happened... if it was a reprint or a secret warehouse that had P2 copies was discovered, but there are a lot more copies floating around and they go for around $35 (amazon anyways).
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2006, 07:32:55 PM »

Quote from: Testament
Quote from: "Dice"
When I get this game, I vow here and now to never take the dog off my team.

He can summon Persona too...  I don't think he can talk, but one of the other characters (the android) seems to be able to understand him.

Oh I know...but thats what makes it all the more better...its a dog!!! <3

Anywho, a lot of people are still kind of "if-y" on the artist's cartoon-y style.  However, the villains look nearly exactly like an other persona title would have them.  Kaneko would be proud.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2006, 11:21:28 PM »

Persona 2's ingame artist is named Shigenori Soejima!

Famitsu reviewed (I use the term loosely) the game...
9, 8, 8, 8 - (33/40)
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2006, 01:01:36 AM »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=a3aed8feb90a39f9334d8975e68f08c9&t=109703

Lots of impressions (little to no spoilers in most).

This is the game to watch people... :)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2006, 02:43:42 PM »

http://www.avalancheonline.com/Temp/Persona_3_-_Theme_Song.mp3

Finally found the theme song played on the video in mp3!
Nice topic you posted too, Testament. Thanks for the info
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2006, 10:33:48 PM »

Sorry for the double post but I had something to ask: When is the OST being released? Cant wait to get to listen to it ><
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »

Quote from: "Ventrue"
Sorry for the double post but I had something to ask: When is the OST being released? Cant wait to get to listen to it ><

July 19th according to Play-Asia.com

I agree, it's amazing.  I had no idea Meguro had this kind of range (Nocturne, DDS, Devil Summoner all sound pretty damn similar).
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2006, 07:04:45 PM »

The music in this game is indeed pretty cool.  

However after reading some of the various importers impressions, I am very unsure if Persona 3 is worth a purchase.

- No control over your party members other than "tactics setup". Meaning they do what they want.  I hear the AI is fairly smart, but there are times they fuck up and cost you to lose.
    - Your party members get tired.  Kinda adds to the realism and this is less a "con" per se, but probably will just be an annoyance.
    - This is a dungeon crawler to the extreme.  From what I read, you are student by day, dungeon crawler by night.  There is only one tower (think Grandia Extreme).  However, many people who said this didn't seem to get extremely far, so maybe it changes.  Also, there are no save points in the dungeon, but each floor has a teleporter that teleports you to the beginning.
    - Main character dies = game over.

Those are really only the bad parts I can remember.  But I have such an interest in daily Japanese life, the whole school and afterschool club part REALLY interests me.  If they keep the whole Japanese aspect and not change a lot of stuff and leave things how they are in game, I will probably pick it up anyhow since it still piques my interest.  I really wish they'd have a bi-lingual option, but since there are no options for subtitles at all in the Japanese version, I'm guessing the english release will be English Dub only.

Also, the Japanese version had an easy and normal mode which sways my interest for being a big pussy.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2006, 08:12:01 PM »

- No control over your party members other than "tactics setup". Meaning they do what they want. I hear the AI is fairly smart, but there are times they fuck up and cost you to lose.

You have to keep in mind that the battle system is designed around it.  Since you can split your team up to cover more ground, battles can be won by a single combatant.  You start out with a few basic tactics, but as you make progress more specific commands become available.

- Your party members get tired. Kinda adds to the realism and this is less a "con" per se, but probably will just be an annoyance.

Some will enjoy it, some will hate it.  I would guess it's to keep the players from conquering the tower in a single night.  There are some nights when you don't have to worry about the fatigue status.

- This is a dungeon crawler to the extreme. From what I read, you are student by day, dungeon crawler by night. There is only one tower (think Grandia Extreme). However, many people who said this didn't seem to get extremely far, so maybe it changes. Also, there are no save points in the dungeon, but each floor has a teleporter that teleports you to the beginning.

This is... false I would say.  Considering the dungeon crawling is only one aspect of the overall package.  Megaten games have always had heavy dungeon crawling elements, this is nothing new.

- Main character dies = game over.

Again, nothing new in Megaten.

~

From the looks of it, a bad dub could really ruin this game...  Let's hope Atlus does a top quality job like it did with Avatar Tuner I/II (or atleast hope the game has an off feature).

Couple of gameplay videos...  no spoilers really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7-DrE3UAT4&search=persona%203
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LT4BORftP8&search=persona%203
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Drs140-CIf8&search=Persona%203
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vup6OS0BJuU&search=Persona%203
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2006, 11:12:24 PM »

You have to keep in mind that the battle system is designed around it. Since you can split your team up to cover more ground, battles can be won by a single combatant. You start out with a few basic tactics, but as you make progress more specific commands become available.

I've heard about this.  Like you can make them look for treasure or look for an exit.  I hear they're actually pretty good at this too.  I guess not all AI is bad.  Think of teammates AI from "Tales of..." series.  The only thing I still don't like about it is, I wonder how smart/efficient the AI is when it comes to healing.  I know in some rpg's waiting to heal for one turn can mean a whole wipe.  Hopefully the AI is smart enough.

Some will enjoy it, some will hate it. I would guess it's to keep the players from conquering the tower in a single night. There are some nights when you don't have to worry about the fatigue status.

I hear there are also blocks that stop you from going above <x> floor number.  As for the some nights that you don't have to worry about fatigue status, I didn't know that.  Thanks for telling me.  That's good considering a tired party could make a big difference in a difficult battle.

This is... false I would say. Considering the dungeon crawling is only one aspect of the overall package.

Which part is false?  I realize it's not a total dungeon crawler since during the day you go to school, socialize, do your afterschool stuff.  However it seems beside that, it's a dungeon crawler.  However, from what I am told, the battles can be very fast paced (ala DDS, perhaps). Not only that, but there are no random encounters.  

The only part I could see to be false, tbh, is the one dungeon/tower.  And I really hope it is false and there is more than one dungeon.

Main character dies = game over.

Again, nothing new in Megaten.

I forgot about that, since I'm used to DDS.  I can live with this as well, assuming the AI is smart enough to keep the main character healed.

From the looks of it, a bad dub could really ruin this game... Let's hope Atlus does a top quality job like it did with Avatar Tuner I/II (or atleast hope the game has an off feature).

Agreed.  DDS had some very enjoyable voice acting.  I hope Persona 3's is just as good.  As for the off feature, it's doubtful since the Japanese version does not even have subtitles (for the hard of hearing).  I hope they do put in subtitles for the english version.  Sometimes it's just tough to understand what they're saying with the music on (Grandia 3 comes to mind...).

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2006, 12:08:41 AM »

I wonder how smart/efficient the AI is when it comes to healing. I know in some rpg's waiting to heal for one turn can mean a whole wipe. Hopefully the AI is smart enough.

I've watched my friend (who imported) play a good deal of the game.  The AI pretty much drops everything and starts healing if characters falls under a certain HP (with spells or items... if they are available).  They also seem to be quiet smart about what attacks they choose.  If they attack a certain enemy and the attack gets negated you can be sure that they will never use that attack on that enemy again.  If you figure out the enemies weakness (with either trial and error or scanning) you can be sure your partners will exploit it any chance they get.

I think the hole AI thing is ment to bring immersio to a new level.  They aren't suppose to be tools, they are your friends.  My friend absolutely loves the cast.  She is always telling me about how wonderful it is to hear their comments after they level up or after switching tactics.

That's good considering a tired party could make a big difference in a difficult battle.

Fatigue status essential tells you it's time to head back to the dorm.  When fighting in that condition, critical hit rate for enemy attacks is absolutely insane.

Which part is false? I realize it's not a total dungeon crawler since during the day you go to school, socialize, do your afterschool stuff.

My fault, I read dungeon crawler to the extreme and thought you were saying that's all the game offered.  The dungeon crawler elements are indeed strong, but no Megaten game would be complete without them.  Unlike a lot of previews Megaten titles however, it only makes up a small part of the overall package.  It seems to really be carrying the Persona tradition of offering a lot of side content... Well, not side content exactly, but things to do besides dungeon crawling and fighting
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »

I can't wait for this game!!!!!!!! Everything I hear just keeps making it better and better.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2006, 01:05:42 PM »

Yesterday's edition of Gamepot's On The Spot had a brief demo of the japanese version of Persona 3 (it's a little past the middle part of the show). I liked what I saw, but the summoning animations seemed a bit lengthy if you have to perform them many times in each battle.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:06 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Yesterday's edition of Gamepot's On The Spot had a brief demo of the japanese version of Persona 3 (it's a little past the middle part of the show). I liked what I saw, but the summoning animations seemed a bit lengthy if you have to perform them many times in each battle.

That preview was pretty awful.

They don’t talk about anything other then the summoning method and even that conversation is strictly restricted to, “He just shot himself in the head!?”

They don’t talk about the sim elements, the Persona and Community system, the “One More Press!” system. They don’t even talk about why they need to summon that way...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: