Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 01:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318865 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3 Unveiled
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3 Unveiled  (Read 22121 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2006, 06:56:26 PM »

Eh, it's an anime style game.  Unintelligible English in the songs is almost expected.  I personally love the intro song & the rest of the music I heard in the trailer for that matter.  I'm definitely picking up the soundtrack for this when it comes out in Japan.

carbon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:30 PM »

Has anyone translated the text from the Famitsu scans yet?

I wonder if this is true? (From a GameFAQs board :P)...  

By making and maintaining relationships you can get cards to fuse personae (as well as increase a community level to fuse stronger Personae)...

If it is true, I wonder if it means that you don't have to negotiate with demons anymore? Personally, I wouldn't mind that much since I didn't like how few cards the demons usually gave you. Obtaining new persona always felt like a chore because of how long it took.

On the other hand, interacting with demons is an intrinsic part of the MegaTen universe so it would be odd to not have it in some sort of capacity...
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:13 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Eh, it's an anime style game.  Unintelligible English in the songs is almost expected.  I personally love the intro song & the rest of the music I heard in the trailer for that matter.  I'm definitely picking up the soundtrack for this when it comes out in Japan.

I like it too, but I can't understand one friggin' word.

I think the whole community idea is fun, adds some interactivity for the players.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2006, 12:08:17 AM »

Yup, interaction is something that has always kind of lacked in JRPGs (in my opinion anyways).  Community sounds like a neat idea.  I hope Persona 3 has as much to do outside the main storyline as Persona 2 did.

Back to the Tarot Cards thing though...  I don't know what to say, I honestly don't want to see the Contact System get butchered.  SMT3 did an all right job I guess, but it honestly felt like an extremely dumbed down version of the old Contact system (I absolutely love the game, don't get me wrong).  It just won't feel right if you can't intimidate, entertain or entice your enemies... :(

What I am worried about the most is the game just getting to the states...  Last time I checked, this place wasn't to fond of teenages shooting themselves in the head...  

I have extremely high hopes though.

Also, this game just popped out of nowhere didn't it...  One day it's announced, the second it's 75% done and next it's only 4 months away from it's Japan release date.
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2006, 03:35:59 AM »

I was damned excited to be hearing this. The whole part about living a normal life makes it sound a little more realistic. All these young heroes DO have lives beyond saving the world!
Although I would like to see the original contact system stay, I'll be able to live with the game if they decide to remove it. It really does take a long time to gather up a big enough stack of tarot cards, take 'em to Igor, get your persona, level that baby up... tiring sometimes.
I'll be very disgusted if this doesn't get over here. I mean, we have games where getting a hummer from a prostitute increases your health, shooting cops and spreading mindless chaos is accepted as art as long as the map is big enough, and the soundtrack contains enough hip-hop. Of course, since the watchdogs think that all video games are either made by Rockstar or id Software, and religious content is virtually ignored, I think it should be able to get through.
And if Sony protests? Hey. These are the people who made God of War (which was excellent, don't get me wrong).

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2006, 07:22:29 AM »

Then again, Digital Devil Saga didn't have chit-chat with demons and Megatentists (who are notoriously hard to please) dug it.  But I agree that the demon chit-chat in Nocturne was overly simplified but it wasn't as random & awful as that in DemiKids.  

And I didn't think getting tarot cards in Persona 2 was that difficult.  I almost always had surplus, because if I had a contract with frequently encountered demons in various arcana, I'd always get a fuckton of cards along with blank cards so I could have demon artist make cards of arcana that didn't have demons running around.

And I think one thing that makes Persona a bit of a hard sell in the US is the high school setting and with that, the age of the cast.  Having games like GTA where an adult is doing all the deviant things is one thing, but kids with guns in school?  That ain't gonna fly.  

Heck, the first boss in Persona 2: Innocent Sin is the principal and one of your party members is a high school kid with a machine gun concealed in a guitar case.  Guns in school + principal homicide = no go.  And that's not even considering the
Code:
potential for a homosexual relationship where you can pair off Tatsuya with Jun.  Personally, I thought Jun was a better match for Tatsuya than Lisa.  Lisa just wanted a trophy boyfriend, but Jun's special feelings for Tatsuya ran much much deeper.  

I approve of this nonsense!
Extwin

imlzeronx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2006, 09:46:33 AM »

Well I think a lot of fans would be let down if this were not localized. I know it would be a  bummer for me. Though its not as though its not something rpg fans who only speak english aren't used to. We can only hope for the best I guess... Stranger things have happened. I think this has a far better chance at localization that IS did back in the day simply because of the relative success of nocturne and DDS

Mostly lurks, with good reason
Obviously, I'm a genius...The Darkrider said so
Me: So, Mom, where are you going in the U.K.?
Mom: Ware
Me: Yeah, where?
Mom: No, Ware.... W-A-R-E
carbon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »

A little bit more info on the game:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/persona3/

This is interesting and possibly a bit worrisome...

Unlike his friends, who are only able to summon a set Persona, the Protagonist finds that he is able to switch between many at will.
Gorelab

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »

I can't say exactly, but the information on the character web page seems to say that it isn't that he is the only one who can change Persona but that he has the special power to change them freely in battle. If that's the case it's still a bit annoying after how Persona 2 worked, but it's not nearly as annoying as if he's the only one who can change them at all.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »

I just realized something.  In Persona 2, many of the character portraits were of staff who worked on the game.  And Garcon/Waiter Soejima is the Soejima who's doing the art for Persona 3.  He did the in-game portraits in Persona 2.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »

I never tried the Persona series, did I miss something valuable?
carbon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2006, 10:45:12 PM »

Quote from: "Gorelab"
I can't say exactly, but the information on the character web page seems to say that it isn't that he is the only one who can change Persona but that he has the special power to change them freely in battle. If that's the case it's still a bit annoying after how Persona 2 worked, but it's not nearly as annoying as if he's the only one who can change them at all.

That probably makes more sense.

It would be a pretty bad gameplay decision if the other characters weren't able to change their persona, unless of course it was part of the game system - like, going into a certain dungeon, you'd have to ensure that you've got the right team with you or something.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2006, 08:57:24 AM »

Quote from: "blackthirteen"
I never tried the Persona series, did I miss something valuable?

The Persona series, heck the Megami Tensei series in general, is a very interesting series.  I feel that those games truly do break many RPG molds and conventions.  The Persona games are thought-provoking in that they touch a lot on mythology, Jungian theory, psychology, and in the case of Eternal Punishment you have a cast of adults dealing with adult issues.  Even in Innocent Sin, the teenage cast are quite mature and insigtful.  

I like that the battles require thought.  It's not just kill kill kill.  You also need to talk to the monsters and share in their dark powers in order to get ahead.  You need to kill as well to get stronger, but it's nice that talking your way out of a battle and getting rewarded for it is just as viable an option.  

I also like that the Persona games take place in more modern/contemporary, post-modern settings.  You rarely see that.  

If you wish to try a Persona game, I highly recommend Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.  It's quite refined and though it makes references to Persona 1, it's not a requirement to have played it.  Although you will tell where the references are when you meet Japanese people with American names (the days of subpar localizations.)  Persona 1 is good, but it's clunky in comparison to more modern games.  Persona 2: Innocent Sin was my favorite of the three, but is only available in Japanese.  

My reviews of hte Persona 2 games.  I warn you, they are extremely long.
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2ep/index4.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/persona2is/index.html

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2006, 07:57:11 PM »

New set of screenshots to drool over. :)

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0603/game060319b.shtml[/url]

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »

I hate to bring back an old topic.
But no one really said the "OMG" yet.

Anyways, ltitle birdie (named http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2824&Itemid=2 ) says P3 is coming over. ...hooray!  guns to the head weren't bad enough to prevent it from coming!

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: