Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319731 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Who first put the "J" in JRPG, and when?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who first put the "J" in JRPG, and when?  (Read 660 times)
ethangach

greenlemonade001
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »

When did you first start calling games of a certain style, and created mostly in Japan, JRPGs? Do you remember a point in time that the shift from calling them simply RPGs to JRPGs began? A game or series it started with? Did it happen during the Playstation era, or afterward?

Was it only after the rise of Western style RPGs, mainly from Bethesda and BioWare, that people introduced the JRPG moniker to distinguish between the two apparent creative approaches?

Curious for your thoughts (also, if this is covered at length elsewhere in the boards, feel free to point me to it and I'll close out this thread).
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »

Specifically, with the launch of Bioshock. All of a sudden, JRPG became a term in my vocabulary. Kinda similar to -core gamers, because before the advent of the wii, you either played video games or didn't play video games.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »

I think it really caught on during the seventh generation consoles, when companies like Bethesda and BioWare started developing for consoles as well as PCs more routinely. The marked contrast of design philosophy (controlled narrative with open world elements vs tightly scripted and locked path plot progression) is likely what caused the distinction between the two subgenres.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 01:56:54 AM »

I remember when the debate was console RPG vs. computer RPG.  It was actually the exact same debate, since at the time JRPGs were almost always on consoles and the WRPGs were almost always on PCs.  But that terminology probably goes back to the late 80s/early 90s.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 06:34:09 AM »

I remember that I started using it after a conversation with friends when I realized that the terms console-RPGs and computer-RPGs couldn't be abbreviated because both were CRPG. I then thought I was creative for coming up with JRPG and WRPG. I then a few years later discovered that it was in common usage, so apparently someone else had the same idea and it caught on. I can't remember precisely when I started using it year wise. I think it was probably around PS1 era when I started using it, but it was in context of BG2 and probably Diablo 2 vs. SNES games as I didn't start picking up PSX games until the very beginning of the PS2 era.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:12 PM »

Man that's like asking who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp? Or who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong? Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop? Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

Who was that man?
I'd like to shake his hand.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:40:19 PM »

I SWEAR it was probably back in the late 90s. I might be confusing it with console RPGs, though that's still a point of recognizing that they're distinct from RPGs made in the west.

EDIT: Using google's (crappy) time searches got me this thread in early 2005 asking about JRPGs on PS2, so I'd say that at the very least it became a popular term sometime last generation. Makes sense, that's when Bioware made a huge splash with Knights of the Old Republic on consoles and even Bethesda entered with Morrowind (but don't play it on Xbox, seriously), and while they existed in the past they were either distinct from PC RPGs or were heavily compromised ports, yet KotOR was built from the ground up for Xbox while Jade Empire took forever to hit PC, and while I can't recommend Morrowind on Xbox purely because of the loading times... that's the only serious omission the game has far as I know outside of not having a searchable journal like on PC. It just got more absurd trying to divide based on platform this generation when only indie RPGs and MMOs stayed on PC for the most part.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 08:59:46 PM by Eusis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »

I remember it being around during the PS1 days when people would compare stuff like Final Fantasy to stuff like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights at the time. I think Eusis is probably right.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »

Man that's like asking who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp? Or who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong? Who put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop? Who put the dip in the dip da dip da dip?

Who was that man?
I'd like to shake his hand.
You're fired.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »

You're fired.

The problem is no one hired him.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »