Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330123 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 24501 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »

It wasn't incredibly frequent in Graces f, but there was one area where I remember it being really bad.  I wish I remember which.

The win quote where Cheria mentions teamwork and Hubert suggests training regiments is *really* awful.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »

45 minutes or so with Jude and milla has led me to the conclusion I have to pick milla to enjoy this. Something About Jude really irks me. His disposition is to unlike my own for me to enjoy him as my MC. Milla is at least somewhat of a weirdo and I can at least relate to that. Lol
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 02:10:02 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »

Since I won't be getting a PS3 until next month and therefore can't start Graces or Xillia, I decided to pick up Abyss for 3DS from Target. It had a price cut! :D

Not my favorite Tales game, but I do really like it and it'll be nice to play it again after so many years.
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »

45 minutes or so with Jude and milla has led me to the conclusion I have to pick milla to enjoy this. Something About Jude really irks me. His disposition is to unlike my own for me to enjoy him as my MC. Milla is at least somewhat of a weirdo and I can at least relate to that. Lol

I went with Miila too.  Mostly because she's definiately a different kind of JRPG protagonist (ie beautfiful young woman who is really a deity, who thinks herslef smart, but is really kind of clueless).  I like how Milla is a little uppity and has to be reminded from time to time to make nice with the "little" people

Jude is just another example of virtually every other male generic JRPG protagonist ever made- Heroic, idealistic, optimistic, yet slightly questioning of himself male youth, that wants to do the right thing and be heroic.  I'm still early in the game, but I don't see any sign of there being really anything *interesting* about him.  (such as Luke's unapologitic jerkiness and irredeemable actions, Yuri's willingness to commit murder, etc). 

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »

My CE finally arrived and, wow. You guys weren't joking.  That recording quality is abysmal. That said, I love her voice otherwise, it's just a shame it's marred by the presentation.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

Milla's voice is okay during cutscenes.

The in-battle cut-ins are where she doesn't fit with her emotional expressions.

Milla: *RAGE FACE* out of my way

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:30 PM »

I've only put an hour into this game, and I want to play more...but Dragon's Crown is hogging all my time!!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 04:02:52 AM »

Jude is just another example of virtually every other male generic JRPG protagonist ever made- Heroic, idealistic, optimistic, yet slightly questioning of himself male youth, that wants to do the right thing and be heroic.  I'm still early in the game, but I don't see any sign of there being really anything *interesting* about him.  (such as Luke's unapologitic jerkiness and irredeemable actions, Yuri's willingness to commit murder, etc). 

He's not trying to be heroic, nor is he very idealistic or optimistic. He's just a nice and helpful guy who gets dragged into things because he's a bit too nosy. Jude just kinda goes with the flow, really. Also, he's smart and that makes him different from atleast half of the Tales-heroes. Plenty of them were as dumb as bricks, especially the early ones.

I picked Jude for my first playthrough (started a second one a couple of days ago) and I think that worked out really well. Milla's story makes him look kind of useless at times (it's hard to compete with a deity with a one track mind), while he's in fact a hard worker. Plus, having viewing the story from Jude's perspective saves some of the mysteries surrounding Milla for the second playthrough, which I think makes her more interesting.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

Milla's voice is okay during cutscenes.

The in-battle cut-ins are where she doesn't fit with her emotional expressions.

Milla: *RAGE FACE* out of my way

Nothing in battle is more annoying than linking with Elize

"C'mon Teepo!"
"Sharing is caring!"
"C'mon Teepo!"
"Sharing is caring!"
"C'mon Teepo!"
"Sharing is caring!"
"C'mon Teepo!"
"Sharing is caring!"

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

He's not trying to be heroic, nor is he very idealistic or optimistic. He's just a nice and helpful guy who gets dragged into things because he's a bit too nosy. Jude just kinda goes with the flow, really. Also, he's smart and that makes him different from atleast half of the Tales-heroes. Plenty of them were as dumb as bricks, especially the early ones.

I picked Jude for my first playthrough (started a second one a couple of days ago) and I think that worked out really well. Milla's story makes him look kind of useless at times (it's hard to compete with a deity with a one track mind), while he's in fact a hard worker. Plus, having viewing the story from Jude's perspective saves some of the mysteries surrounding Milla for the second playthrough, which I think makes her more interesting.

If anything, I yell at Jude for being a bit pussy whipped -- and there's nothing funnier than a teenager getting a semi while helping a girl that's closer to being naked than actually clothed.

But yeah, the assessment by deathsaber was waaay too simplified.
If anything, I'm surprised there isn't more shit talking about Alvin -- there's a guy who's motives are really transparent.  Tales games have been terrible for "hinting" spoilers as much as elbowing you in the gut that a spoiler is coming up. 

Elize is terribly annoying in battle.  I love her hair, but I hate her pseudo-goth-loki outfit.\\

Aura Chann: I liked your choice of "CAPITALIZED RAGE WORDS" versus "out of my way"

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »

Jude follows his penis like a divining rod.

I am in no position to criticize his instincts.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:45 PM »

If anything, I'm surprised there isn't more shit talking about Alvin -- there's a guy who's motives are really transparent.  Tales games have been terrible for "hinting" spoilers as much as elbowing you in the gut that a spoiler is coming up.  

It's not like they're trying to hide anything this time. Even Alvin himself is pretty upfront about it half of the time. And the times when he's not... Well, he's an absolutely terrible liar. Fortunatelly the other characters are smart enough not to trust him all that much.

Code:
They're also not nearly as forgiving as the average Tales character.

Frankly, he's so badly suited for the role he's trying to play that I feel kinda bad for him, which makes me like him more.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:15:21 PM by Tomara » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »

So started playing this morning.

- Picked Jude
- Millia doesn't have a lisp, it's the audio recording quality that is shit.
- I'm in the first area and I switched the game to hard. I don't even feel a difference (in difficulty or reward)
- I liked that the first boss battle, winning was optional. It made me feel awesome when I beat her the second time.
- What's the difference between save and quick save ???
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »

So started playing this morning.

- Picked Jude
- Millia doesn't have a lisp, it's the audio recording quality that is shit.
- I'm in the first area and I switched the game to hard. I don't even feel a difference (in difficulty or reward)
- I liked that the first boss battle, winning was optional. It made me feel awesome when I beat her the second time.
- What's the difference between save and quick save ???
I'm assuming Quick Save lets you save anywhere, at the cost of the saved file being deleted after loading the part where you were.

It's like any other game with the same feature.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »

Quote from: Annubis link=topic=12922.msg299774#msg299774
[/quote

I did it for a little bit in the import version and it just seemed like the enemies had a lot more health.  Granted, I only did it for a few battles.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: