Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 04:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334409 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 26721 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2013, 03:27:28 PM »

For the bosses, I find that if you equip the right artes, the bosses are pushovers... and if not, you get my Jiao post above.
When a normal punch does 30 damage and an elemental weakness mystic art does 4000... there's a huge gap.

Also, the 30% elemental resistance skills, I find, are pretty much mandatory.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »

Dice - I won't complain about the dungeons because up to now, it's still better than Graces F (not that that was hard to beat)

Why does everyone give Graces F's dungeons shit?  I won't argue that many (maybe most) of Graces F's dungeons were fairly uninspired, but I thought it had several that were quite good.  Better than anything in Vesperia for sure (now that game had boring dungeons).  Ones I liked include (but are not limited to) the Wallbridge Ruins, Sandshroud ruins, Lastalia Shaft, and Arcadia Garden.  Even Inside the Rockagagong was OK.  Seriously, I definitely think Graces F's dungeons were above-average for a modern JRPG.

Maybe I just look for different things in a dungeon than most people do.  As you might guess from my list above, I like things that are hard to navigate.  Makes me think.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:16 PM »

Dice - I won't complain about the dungeons because up to now, it's still better than Graces F (not that that was hard to beat)

Why does everyone give Graces F's dungeons shit?  I won't argue that many (maybe most) of Graces F's dungeons were fairly uninspired, but I thought it had several that were quite good.  Better than anything in Vesperia for sure (now that game had boring dungeons).  Ones I liked include (but are not limited to) the Wallbridge Ruins, Sandshroud ruins, Lastalia Shaft, and Arcadia Garden.  Even Inside the Rockagagong was OK.  Seriously, I definitely think Graces F's dungeons were above-average for a modern JRPG.

Maybe I just look for different things in a dungeon than most people do.  As you might guess from my list above, I like things that are hard to navigate.  Makes me think.

No you're right, because Xillia took the cake by making the most you do in a dungeon is running and jumping around it to the boss and finish line.

I agree it's not that bad.  I did hate how Sandshroud basically throws a random tile puzzle (it's "busted"), but I definitely think the battery Dungeon was prolonged through a pointlessly tedious mechanic.  I loved the two Lastalia dungeons (the latter one in the "f" arc was surprisingly pleasant and introduced a painful status affliction element).  I think Arcadia looked pretty but the game should have made some effort to help you through that pain in the ass.  Graces also relied a lot on "block" puzzles...

But I have issues when I compare the dungeons with the ones that involved a 'sorcerer ring'.  It seems weird that dungeons have in fact made no progression to be interesting in the latest titles.  Symphonia made each dungeon a sort of unique trial (for better or worse; likely worse on repeat runs).  I guess I kinda wanna throw out a question to everyone:
Puzzle in dungeons -- yay or nay?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »

I loved Graces F's dungeons personally. To be honest there was not much about Graces F I didn't love but the dungeons themselves stood out as a strong point to me. I'm with you on dungeon design Kevadu, I enjoy em a bit Labyrinth-esque and confusing.

On the Xillia note, I'm finally starting it tonight when I get out of work! GEEEEEEEE GOLLLLLY am I EXCITED!!!! The prospect of starting this post normal mode in Dragon's Crown made beating that damn lizard infinately more rewarding today. Tis a good day in the gaming career of Klyde Chroma, indeed :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »

guess I kinda wanna throw out a question to everyone:

Yay, yay, definitely yay!  Love me some puzzles in my dungeons.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »

guess I kinda wanna throw out a question to everyone:

Yay, yay, definitely yay!  Love me some puzzles in my dungeons.

Seconded. Sandshroud Ruins was my favorite dungeon in an RPG to date. I have to slightly disagree on the navigation bit, though. Lastalia Shaft and Arcadia Garden incorporated the navigation in to the puzzle element and it forced you to think in order to navigate, which I liked. But Wallbridge (both the fort and ruins) and even Barona Castle Secret Passage were just frustratingly designed.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:57 PM »

And also make me question the sanity of the architect that designed them.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »

I'll admit that I haven't read every post in this thread, but there's one thing I don't think anyone's commented on that I really like.  The "strategy" menu - or more specifically, the options it offers there.  You can tell them to not use items, who to target (strongest, weakest, etc.), how low to allow their mana pool to get... it's a great set of stuff.

I'm not as in love with the leveling mechanic.  They make it sound like you can do whatever you want, but the way they've stuck the skills around the board, you really have to put points into things you don't want in order to get skills you do want.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »

The auto items is a nice addition, but the strat menu is pretty much the norm in tales. I can agree, however, that the new level.up mechanic leaves a slightly bitter taste in my mouth. It's fairly bland and reminds me too much of the sphere grid in FFX.

Regarding the difficulty; after getting better adjusted to combat in tales (again), it's easy to pick up and roll with. I am not bothering changing the difficulty however as long fights bore me after a while. If I'm in combat mode I jump to hard to entertain myself for a while, otherwise I leave it normal. I'm in the realm of overwhelming might is right, so I generally power my guys to hell and beyond. Beating a boss by the skin of your teeth using the absolute minimum of tactics which almost require abuse is no fun. Demolishing opposition with a plethora of abilities and skills amd leaving the enemy utterly trounced...this is fun. I want my training to be worth something, not leaving me gasping for air when something new appears. My new favorite mo e for jude is the sidestep hit skill whose name I forget. I fucking LOVE slipping past an enemy and punching it in its monster kidney. As of now, jude is one of my favorite heroes in combat. Aggresive play with well timed dodges are so fucking awesome.

Shame I don't like his battle theme as much as Milla's.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

I personally hate the micro-managing.  I got annoyed with it in FFX, it got annoying with it Kingdom Hearts 3D, and it's annoying now.  I find myself waiting at least two level ups before bothering to make a dent in it.

Legend of Mana was a game that introduced so many deep and in-depth game adjuncts, but since the game was generally easy, they weren't necessary to mull over.  I feel like the same is happening here.  Skills are definitely fun, but battles are too easy to abuse with link artes alone (made godly because you're invincible while you're pulling them).  Battles are getting kind of boring for me.  I keep catching myself having no trouble with enemies and just switching it to 'easy' to get through places that much faster.  I'm happy that at least bosses can be quite the challenge.

I hate this strain of BS with 'Tales' plots that kind of bugs me seeing how this game's story is being touted. 
...Mana, Aer, Cryas, Eres, and now "Spirit Artes" that light up street lamps and flush toilets and help create goddamn pottery.  It feels like it's taking the politics of Abyss and slapping "magic" on top, covering the more in-depth parts with McGuffins. 

Eugh, sorry to be like this.  But I'm surprised at the sheer amount of blind love this game is getting.  It's obviously flawed and almost painfully so.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

My reply to that ma'am...

People actually enjoyed FFXIII somehow. At least Xillia isn't terrible. I knew immediately coming into this that Xillia wasn't top Tales quality, nowhere near Vesperia or Abyss. However, starved people will enjoy even the stalest of bread and enjoy every hard, disgusting crumb. Good rpgs have been fairly few and far between recently, and anything akin to the Tales system and style are even rarer. I like it even though honestly it's fairly generic crap. But it's my favorite kind of generic crap....one with a seriously hot main character.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:48 PM »

People actually enjoyed FFXIII somehow. At least Xillia isn't terrible. I knew immediately coming into this that Xillia wasn't top Tales quality, nowhere near Vesperia or Abyss. However, starved people will enjoy even the stalest of bread and enjoy every hard, disgusting crumb. Good rpgs have been fairly few and far between recently, and anything akin to the Tales system and style are even rarer. I like it even though honestly it's fairly generic crap. But it's my favorite kind of generic crap....one with a seriously hot main character.

Too thin for me to find her hot, but I dig that wild, untamed hair.

And I guess you're right.  But I don't feel like that should be any sort of excuse to tell myself to love it though.  I like it for all its mediocrity because, generally speaking, Tales games simply have a great, fun, and successful formula -- and that's definitely here.  Partly what inspired the rant was a Siliconera post/review/preview (y'know how they do those) that the author said it's her 'Favorite' in the series and how many are totally hopping on board.

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »

I'm sure I'll love Xillia when I get to it... though I actually loved combat in FFXII and have given up on XIII's general insanity every time I try it. This sort of level/skill/exp distribution system is actually fun to me versus the automatic +2str +8hp +2mana, though I prefer the trees to be closer to XII or Path of Exile where you're not going to unlock everything to XIII's that seemed to give enough to have most things unlocked.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »

It's not all bad, the characters may have no cohesion whatsoever in terms of design (The entire world seems to have that problem in this game) but each one is at least interesting enough individually that they don't really fit well into any archetype (Alvin notwithstanding of course. And Leia I guess, but Leia is awesome).

I'm surprised we don't see more characters like Elize. Near the end of Chapter 1 when she was
Code:
separated from Teepo
I had many feels. Even the sub-event afterwards at Cline's manor was really moving (albeit depressing as fuck).
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »

I personally hate the micro-managing.  I got annoyed with it in FFX, it got annoying with it Kingdom Hearts 3D, and it's annoying now.  I find myself waiting at least two level ups before bothering to make a dent in it.

I usually wait until before and after boss fights. Before, because I want to be prepared. After, because I probably went up 2-8 levels thanks to good food and other exp boosting stuff. And unless there's a skill I want early, just press select and let the game take care of it.

I'm surprised we don't see more characters like Elize.

We've seen kids with dolls before (hi, Anise!), but the dynamic between Elize and Teepo is certainly unique. And Teepo can be surprisingly funny. BAZONGAS.

(albeit depressing as fuck)

It gets worse. This game likes seeing its players depressed.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: