Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 02:51:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341234 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 30610 times)
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »

Auto item is the best "innovation" in the tales series, and I discovered it way too late...  They should make it clear in the tutorial or something...

I hope they work more on the AI part of the series like this, something like FFXII's gambit system would be fantastic.  I spend so much time tuning gambits and it's oddly fun for some reason.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »

Speaking of the AI: why is it that nearly every jRPG out there has a boss that burrows and comes out doing major damage while the AI runs around like beheaded chickens?

I mean, you just need to add a condition to the AI: If nothing targetable on the battlefield -> block.

Those who fought the boss know which one I'm talking about and the AI keeps getting brutalized for about 200 damage a hit. Contrarily, since I block, I am taking less than 40 (hard guard is good)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »

My problem with auto Item is the AI behavior seems to only be on or off, you can't define how the auto Items should be used, unless I'm missing something.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

My problem with auto Item is the AI behavior seems to only be on or off, you can't define how the auto Items should be used, unless I'm missing something.

???
Did you go in the menu for it?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:30 AM »

You forgot to press the start button in the strategy menu for auto item strategy.

TASTY!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Thanks! I figured I was missing something.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2013, 10:38:09 AM »

Speaking of the AI: why is it that nearly every jRPG out there has a boss that burrows and comes out doing major damage while the AI runs around like beheaded chickens?

I mean, you just need to add a condition to the AI: If nothing targetable on the battlefield -> block.

Those who fought the boss know which one I'm talking about and the AI keeps getting brutalized for about 200 damage a hit. Contrarily, since I block, I am taking less than 40 (hard guard is good)

Was this fight in a cave?  Because yeah, I got messed up by that a lot too.  But also Boss AI is pretty cheap too, they're happy to abuse attacks like that and love attacks that essentially shield themselves.

Also, I gotta set this to 'auto'.  Milla keeps running right up to the enemy to cast a spell; MEANING: I don't cast a spell 70% of the time.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
PrismFlux
RPGFan Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »

I knew this would happen pretty quickly when I started that boss fight, and considering the general level of weakness of my party, I set my whole team's strategy to spread out with no linking (not using linked artes anyways,) aggroed the boss, and ran him away from the rest of my party every time he went to burrow. The party just attacked the minions while it was going on.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »

Finally starting Graces, bought it and Xillia today and chaining them.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »

Also, I gotta set this to 'auto'.  Milla keeps running right up to the enemy to cast a spell; MEANING: I don't cast a spell 70% of the time.

She also likes attacking an enemy´s strong point. Using water spells against enemies strong against water? Brilliant, Milla, absolutely brilliant...

But I guess I shouldn´t hold this against her too much, since pretty much all elemental fighters in the series are a fan of stupid tactics.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »

My first impressions...

1. This is NOT Graces F by any means.

2. I am not a fan of getting to select my MC here. Too much "even-ness" has made this decision hard for me. I hate jude. I like milla. Jude's gameplay is waaaay better. Jude's battle them rocks... but... I hate jude... and really want to see the Milla content... I restarted twice already. Still feel somewhat undecided.

3. This really is not Graces F...

Last question for you guys in regard to character selection. If I pick Milla and just play as other characters in battle for the most part, can I have the best of both worlds? That is, see all the Milla content whilst still enjoying the best gameplay??... Well I mean I know I CAN do this, but is there a flaw to my theory I'm overlooking??? And does anyone know if the ending is different depending on the MC? That would seal the deal for me as I think this one will only be getting one play-through from me and I really don't feel I will have tended to all that I care to if I don't see the "Milla Ending" if one in fact exists.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2013, 02:28:57 PM »

My first impressions...

1. This is NOT Graces F by any means.

2. I am not a fan of getting to select my MC here. Too much "even-ness" has made this decision hard for me. I hate jude. I like milla. Jude's gameplay is waaaay better. Jude's battle them rocks... but... I hate jude... and really want to see the Milla content... I restarted twice already. Still feel somewhat undecided.

3. This really is not Graces F...

Last question for you guys in regard to character selection. If I pick Milla and just play as other characters in battle for the most part, can I have the best of both worlds? That is, see all the Milla content whilst still enjoying the best gameplay??... Well I mean I know I CAN do this, but is there a flaw to my theory I'm overlooking??? And does anyone know if the ending is different depending on the MC? That would seal the deal for me as I think this one will only be getting one play-through from me and I really don't feel I will have tended to all that I care to if I don't see the "Milla Ending" if one in fact exists.

Many importers preferred Jude's side of story.  For the most part, it's easy to swap between them, the differences in plot are only for 2-3 major plot parts. 
Everyone seems to like Milla's music more, so a major high-five for us agreeing there; Jude's (literally) just rock more.

When you say it's obviously not Graces, how do you mean?
I will admit how much I miss CC.

Finally starting Graces, bought it and Xillia today and chaining them.

Good choice with Graces.  I can't promise a fun story, but I think it's the pinnacle of Tales battle system (Destiny R aside)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »

Milla´s story leaves out a big chunk of what happens to the other party members during a certain time. It´s really jarring to hear about it afterwards through a skit, so I would recommend playing Jude´s story first.

As for gameplay, the game lets you control another character as soon as you get one. I played most of Milla´s story as Alvin... so, yeah...
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »

When you say it's obviously not Graces, how do you mean?
I will admit how much I miss CC.

Graces had, hands down, my favorite combat in a tales game. I would have loved to have them develop that faster paced, more frantic battle engine in more installments.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

I prefer Xillia's combat...cuz I like jumping.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: