Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 02:03:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334852 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 27482 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

As for gameplay, the game lets you control another character as soon as you get one.

Since it's not covered specifically (not that I've seen), the character you want to control should be put in the top slot in the menu.
Use the Square button to swap.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »

I'll give my thoughts so far after 6-7 hours in.

Reviewers and fans talked this game up as the second coming, but I'm not seeing why.
For a Wii port, I feel that Graces looks way better than Xillia, Xillia has sort of a muted look to it. The world design also has a bit of WRPG/MMORPG feel to it, large areas a lot of which is empty, not all NPCs are able to be talked to etc.

The combat feels a bit sluggish and slow.

The game is fun, but doesn't seem to have sucked me in as much as ToS or Vesperia did, while the combat is no where near addicting as Graces.

The "sphere grid' is more restrictive in practice than it is advertised as, you have to follow certain paths to expand it or open new artes.

I think Graces Titles system was one of the best gameplay mechanics in any JRPG, as it continuously drove me to try new things to open stat bonuses, extra artes, etc. Here, you just get Grade.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 03:10:36 PM »

I'm going to feel stupid if everyone else figured this out already, but if not here's a handy tip for combat:

If you're linked to someone and you open the Artes menu, it will have link symbols next to the moves that currently allow Linked Artes. Just figured this out in the mine with Jude and Leia. Now I actually stand a chance at getting the Linked Arte Chain titles.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »

I'm going to feel stupid if everyone else figured this out already, but if not here's a handy tip for combat:

If you're linked to someone and you open the Artes menu, it will have link symbols next to the moves that currently allow Linked Artes. Just figured this out in the mine with Jude and Leia. Now I actually stand a chance at getting the Linked Arte Chain titles.

In the menu, select "Arts" and your character then press either start or select (not sure) and it will show you every combination of every move for your character.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »

Overall I'm finding the characters less facepalm-inducing than Graces, but pretty weak otherwise. Even Vesperia, which some people claim has shallow characters, has a far more endearing and memorable cast overall. I can't see many of them making a lasting impact on me. Besides the obvious.

Also, if I had to use one word to describe this game, it would be "dissonant."  Everything in this game clashes. The character, world, and town designs, the music (you go from traditional Japanese town themes to a world map theme that sounds like it came right out of Star Ocean 2, to I swear that town melody was in Graces), and even the character personalities at times.

I admit, though, I really liked
Code:
The whole Milla leg paralysis section.  I really liked the entire theme of overcoming a debilitating physical disability, even
though it was pretty obvious she would recover.  The last game I remember that had something similar was Ozma in the TO
remake and how she is beaten into a permanent comatose state and sent back to her country if you don't recruit her.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:26:19 PM by Cyril » Logged
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

In the menu, select "Arts" and your character then press either start or select (not sure) and it will show you every combination of every move for your character.

Ah! No more fumbling in the dark for this! Thanks!!

Fell asleep on the couch playing this last night. Will have to get back at it sometime soon...was just so exhausted.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

world map theme that sounds like it came right out of Star Ocean 2, to I swear that town melody was in Graces

Are we talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEnXy6lsXM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7CKPuJlrSU ?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

Ah! No more fumbling in the dark for this! Thanks!!

Fell asleep on the couch playing this last night. Will have to get back at it sometime soon...was just so exhausted.

In the arts menu, if you press R2, it will show you all link artes available between your selected character and every other character's available artes. Pretty fucking handy.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2013, 04:20:15 PM »

world map theme that sounds like it came right out of Star Ocean 2, to I swear that town melody was in Graces

Are we talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEnXy6lsXM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7CKPuJlrSU ?

Haha, yes, exactly, the second one was the one I was thinking of with the Star Ocean comment.  The Graces comment was one of the port town themes.  I mean, it's Sakuraba, I get it, same composer and whatnot, but still the soundtrack clashes quite a bit at times.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »

I *hate* Wendee Lee....

She's voiced like 10 NPCs so far.

I'll give my thoughts so far after 6-7 hours in.

Reviewers and fans talked this game up as the second coming, but I'm not seeing why.
For a Wii port, I feel that Graces looks way better than Xillia, Xillia has sort of a muted look to it. The world design also has a bit of WRPG/MMORPG feel to it, large areas a lot of which is empty, not all NPCs are able to be talked to etc.

The combat feels a bit sluggish and slow.

The game is fun, but doesn't seem to have sucked me in as much as ToS or Vesperia did, while the combat is no where near addicting as Graces.

The "sphere grid' is more restrictive in practice than it is advertised as, you have to follow certain paths to expand it or open new artes.

I think Graces Titles system was one of the best gameplay mechanics in any JRPG, as it continuously drove me to try new things to open stat bonuses, extra artes, etc. Here, you just get Grade.

Amen

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

Just finished both sides (and even got the platinum trophee - never thought that would happen!) and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't all that great. The world felt small and boring, despite the areas between cities being quite large. I guess it's the sameness that ruined it. I mean, seriously, those Sea Havens are more identical than Subway restaurants.

The whole game felt cheap and rushed compared to other mothership games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

... those Sea Havens are more identical than Subway restaurants.

Golden. xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

Finally resolved my character selection issue after playing a little while longer... Milla in spite of plot weaknesses cause I love her character and will feel reeeeeeal remiss in missing any of her content whilst playing as Alvin whom also grew on me quick. Jude irks me more and more every time he opens his mouth.

I shouldn't have gotten so hung up on that one... the correct decision for me seems clear now. Special thanks to Dice for entertaining my character selection inquiry twice this week-LoL

On the character note, who else was real impressed with CE Milla Statue?? I gotta say as far as bonus material for LE's and CE's this might be my favorite goody next to my agarest mouse pad, Mugen Souls Nendoroid (sp?) figurines and Ni No Kuni Wizard's Companion.

Just finished both sides (and even got the platinum trophee - never thought that would happen!) and while I enjoyed it, it wasn't all that great. The world felt small and boring, despite the areas between cities being quite large. I guess it's the sameness that ruined it. I mean, seriously, those Sea Havens are more identical than Subway restaurants.

The whole game felt cheap and rushed compared to other mothership games.

How the heck did you do that so fast?? Is this game short for a tales title or something?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

Got a review copy a couple of weeks in advance. Now that the game is out and my job is done, I don't think there's a conflict of interest if I talk about it on some RPG forum in a far corner of the internet :D

And in case you're wondering, it took me 80 hours to finish both sides. That includes 95% of the sidequests and going through the optional dungeon several times, but I did skip some scenes the second time around (only the ones I knew for certain would be identical for both characters). So yeah, it's a bit shorter than 'big' titles like Abyss and Vesperia, but a first playthrough should still take 30-40 hours, depending on the amount of sidequests you do.
PrismFlux
RPGFan Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:22 PM »

My only real complaint about the game so far is that there isn't a DLC quest to find and ruthlessly murder the asshole that follows you around from town to town yelling and trying to badger you into buying the fresh mutton he's peddling. I would pay at least $40 for that DLC.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:25:51 PM by PrismFlux » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: