Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 04:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331877 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 25639 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2013, 05:27:18 PM »

I hate the shop system in this game. It's a wonderful idea that just does not work. Seems like every time I buy weapons/armor I earn enough points to level up the store and earn a discount on the equipment I just bought.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »

My only real complaint about the game so far is that there isn't a DLC quest to find and ruthlessly murder the asshole that follows you around from town to town yelling and trying to badger you into buying the fresh mutton he's peddling. I would pay at least $40 for that DLC.

Oh yeah, the mutton... There's something weird about that. I saw cows, rappigs and horses, but no sheep. That mutton may not be mutton.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2013, 06:06:49 PM »

My first impressions...

1. This is NOT Graces F by any means.

2. I am not a fan of getting to select my MC here. Too much "even-ness" has made this decision hard for me. I hate jude. I like milla. Jude's gameplay is waaaay better. Jude's battle them rocks... but... I hate jude... and really want to see the Milla content... I restarted twice already. Still feel somewhat undecided.

Graces F had better gameplay no doubt, but I'll take Xillia's story anyday over WE WILL WIN THIS FOR THE POWER OF FRRRRIIIEENNNNDDDSHIIPPPPP.

I also didn't realize the two different characters had different battle themes.  I played Mila on the import and I remember the theme that someone else earlier was complaining about and wondered why it didn't bother me as much this time playing as Jude.  Didn't even hit me they were different.

I'll give my thoughts so far after 6-7 hours in.

Reviewers and fans talked this game up as the second coming, but I'm not seeing why.
For a Wii port, I feel that Graces looks way better than Xillia, Xillia has sort of a muted look to it. The world design also has a bit of WRPG/MMORPG feel to it, large areas a lot of which is empty, not all NPCs are able to be talked to etc.

The combat feels a bit sluggish and slow.

It really doesn't seem any slower than older titles such as Vesperia/Abyss.  Feel pretty same-y actually, but I haven't tried to test.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2013, 06:44:34 PM »

I hate the shop system in this game. It's a wonderful idea that just does not work. Seems like every time I buy weapons/armor I earn enough points to level up the store and earn a discount on the equipment I just bought.

Geez - I thought it was just me...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »

I'm having the same issue. I like it enough, because after every dungeon I feel awesome with how many materials I can give them and level up the shops....but I never have enough money for all of it! And I always end up spending all my money on weapons and have none left over for the new armor! Haha!

pigTails of...
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2013, 09:02:41 PM »

New shop system is a miss - it rewards people that grind for money and materials (or buy DLC) with the strange progression system.  You also don't feel any shop to be special, they are all completely the same.  Why would I go to any shop other than the one where you can open all five with same person.

Battle system is OK, definitely no graces or even abyss, but I feel better than vesperia.  Solid gameplay for a tales game, awesome gameplay for a current gen RPG.

Loved Auto Item as already mentioned - only thing is that I see people were also confused as me about pressing Start in Strategy - they should put this in the tutorial

Graphics are good for a tales game, stepped up from graces in town locales.  For example the first town.  Speaking of which the opening (I meant first few hours) of this game is pretty fantastic, almost as good as FFX

Story wise, slightly improved comparing to graces.  Still pretty standard stuff - what you expect from tales anyway...  Skits are pretty good - they are not shying away from blatant sexual innuendo this time...
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »

As someone with no particular investment in the tales series, while I read through the thread, I found it curious (not trying to start any YOU'RE STUPID AND WRONG nonsense, just curious) how many comments are the direct opposite of my personal opinions.

I enjoy the game on hard.  I like Milla's voice.  Though graces f had a fun combat system, it felt rather silly to me how much of it was based around unlimited resources with borderline immortality while side-stepping.  Dungeons designed around teleportion to random 100% guess-and-check locations are not puzzles, they are illogical and should die.  Also I will without fail choose the incorrect teleporter every time on my first try, causing the root of my hatred.  I like the shop system a whole lot, and find not upgrading everything on everybody every time is fine.

However, I do agree with the fellow who finds Jude intolerable.  I know in JRPG world he's going to be a hero, but I just can't get behind the guy using his wee wee as a dowsing rod to find the underwater stream of justice that will guide his life.

Off to continue the game!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »

Jude just lucked into the hero thing. The rest of the time he's just going for some grade A poon, which is weird considering he already has some quality babes throwing their hot bods at him. Kids these days...

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2013, 10:35:41 PM »

Jude just lucked into the hero thing. The rest of the time he's just going for some grade A poon, which is weird considering he already has some quality babes throwing their hot bods at him. Kids these days...

Like Carrot Glace in Sorcerer Hunters, Jude then strikes me as a guy who probably gets more excited by the pursuit than the conquest.  Not an uncommon anime trope- the hapless skirt-chaser who never gives up the chase no matter how many times he's slapped and no matter how much a female party member throws herself at him.  Again, it's more about the pursuit than the conquest.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39:39 PM »

So he wooed Leia just to unceremoniously dump her for Milla. What a stud.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:35 PM »

I'm obviously not far in enough yet to understand all this Jude-stuff. I'm intrigued.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2013, 11:59:42 PM »

I agree with what was said earlier.  I'm tempted to mute towns because of that bloody "Mutton, fresh mutton!" on repeat.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:05:55 AM by Cyril » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:12 AM »

Reviewers and fans talked this game up as the second coming, but I'm not seeing why.

They did? The concensus always seemed to be that it's not quite one of the greats in the series: story/cast are weaker than Vesperia though combat's arguably stronger, but the story/cast are much stronger than those in Graces even if the combat's no where near as good. Xillia 2 seems to be the one heralded as that second coming though.

Those Jude comments on skirt chasing seem sort of odd given my experience thus far. I'm guessing it's less he actively chases like Ataru Moroboshi or something and more that he sorta just lets that take control of him subconciously.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2013, 12:56:42 AM »

I agree with what was said earlier.  I'm tempted to mute towns because of that bloody "Mutton, fresh mutton!" on repeat.

I just tweeted that four times.

All that said, I'm enjoying this game a lot still. I enjoyed Vesperia, but the combat in this is definitely better, if you ask me. Makes me want to go back and beat Vesperia, though.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2013, 03:16:59 AM »

Those Jude comments on skirt chasing seem sort of odd given my experience thus far. I'm guessing it's less he actively chases like Ataru Moroboshi or something and more that he sorta just lets that take control of him subconciously.

He's got a huge crush on Milla, but I'm not even sure he knew that before everyone started pointing it out to him. He's really nice to her, but I doubt he has any ulterior motives. That's just the kind of person he is.

If he weren't the main character, he'd have been friend-zoned before he could blink.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: