Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338391 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 29204 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

If they've really made the dungeons more open and less "oh god, which room is this they all look the god damn same" then consider me a happy camper.

I think Graces suffered more in terms of "dungeon sameness" and walking corridors n such, but every so often there'd be some 'trick' or something to do.  Problem with Xillia dungeons is they're pretty big..... but there's also, literally, NOTHING TO DO IN THEM.  You walk.  And you walk.  You jump up a ledge.  Then open a door. 

That's.  It.

There's also, I think, more towns than fucking dungeons. 

Also, I read up some spoilers on Xillia 2 --- NO I WON'T EVER REVEAL ANYTHING ABOUT IT EVER -- But I think there was *way* more time and love put into that game's plot.
No, they surely made a sequel for it because they had rushed the prequel game for the anniversary and thus didn't want to feel like the anniversary title would feel sub-par.

Making nearly every outfit DLC was also the biggest boneheaded decision, too.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2013, 11:33:24 PM »

^ It would have been nice if you could pay like...$5 or something for all 6 outfits and 'open up' a Spa in one of the towns to watch a scene (IIRC, Fire Emblem: Awake did something similar; but not outfits, but a new map and a 'show'). 

But fuck tradition.  Pay $3 to see low-poly anime models wear swim gear.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »

I would be really sad if the days of Namdai Island were completely behind us...  DLC is such a huge blight on the JRPG scene right now, and certainly the most unfairly priced with, as Dice mentioned, the absence of any kind of DLC packs. Ah well, I can always replay Vesperia when I have the time. That game had some amazeballs costumes (Estelle's [second?] arena costume being my absolute favorite)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »

I would be really sad if the days of Namdai Island were completely behind us...  DLC is such a huge blight on the JRPG scene right now, and certainly the most unfairly priced with, as Dice mentioned, the absence of any kind of DLC packs. Ah well, I can always replay Vesperia when I have the time. That game had some amazeballs costumes (Estelle's [second?] arena costume being my absolute favorite)
Everything Judith wore....

TASTY!
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »

If they've really made the dungeons more open and less "oh god, which room is this they all look the god damn same" then consider me a happy camper.

I think Graces suffered more in terms of "dungeon sameness" and walking corridors n such, but every so often there'd be some 'trick' or something to do.  Problem with Xillia dungeons is they're pretty big..... but there's also, literally, NOTHING TO DO IN THEM.  You walk.  And you walk.  You jump up a ledge.  Then open a door. 

That's.  It.

Also, I read up some spoilers on Xillia 2 --- NO I WON'T EVER REVEAL ANYTHING ABOUT IT EVER -- But I think there was *way* more time and love put into that game's plot.

Ah, I haven't gotten to play Graces yet, so I wouldn't know. ^_^; I'll be tackling it before Xillia.

I'm replaying Abyss right now, and it's a lot of the Sephiroth dungeons that are looking samey to me. Though if memory serves me right, Symphonia and Legendia was a bit worse in the whole "every room looks the same" department. It's been like 7+ years since I've played either of those though.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »

That's.  It.

Ah, I haven't gotten to play Graces yet, so I wouldn't know. ^_^; I'll be tackling it before Xillia.

I'm replaying Abyss right now, and it's a lot of the Sephiroth dungeons that are looking samey to me. Though if memory serves me right, Symphonia and Legendia was a bit worse in the whole "every room looks the same" department. It's been like 7+ years since I've played either of those though.

To be fair, I think it's a 'resource thing' that companies often make same-looking dungeons.  Diverting it is a pain in the ass, and probably easiest when background were pre-rendered.

Graces' problem was more an issue of 'suffocating design', where dungeons were more corridors-meet-mazes.  They're not bad, but certainly the days of Symphonian-esque dungeons seem to be behind the series.
With respect to that, my problem with Xillia lies in that dungeons aren't so much as long, or maze like, or anything else.... just that there's nothing to do.

These days it's like they fired whoever works on dungeons and just hired a few more battle programmers.  YMMV.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

So, after Elize's reveal about her and Teepo...

Code:
It's just confusing to tell whenever Teepo speaks for Elize's mind or not.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »

All that talk about dungeon design makes me want to replay Lufia: Rise of the Sinistral.
It's the only game I remember having truly interesting dungeons.

As for ToX, Long Dau sounds awesome. I wish the mutton seller was speaking Long Dau. I would love him then.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »

Teepo talk:

Code:
I think he always does, but as his 'memory' grows he starts using his own words more and more. Kinda like an AI. 
Also, Elize has no control over what thoughts Teepo vocalises, so he blurts out some really embarrasing things.
The real Elize is really snarky by the way, especially towards Alvin.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »

Odd random question: Can you change camera angle in Xillia? I'm 24 hours into Graces now and it's my biggest gripe so far.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2013, 07:03:25 PM »

Yes.  Something along the lines of pausing the battle and then holding one of the shoulder buttons with the analog stick to adjust the cam.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

The cutscenes in this game kinda have awkward transitions.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »

Man, is it just me or did anyone else notice the bold similarity between Ivar here and Calintz from Magna Carta??

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:41:03 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

Ivar just makes me think Ikea shelving unit. 

*googles*

Ivar is also a chair.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »

Ivar just makes me think Ikea shelving unit. 

*googles*

Ivar is also a chair.

And a doormat. HEY-O!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: