Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 27162 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: August 18, 2013, 08:54:20 AM »

So finished Chapter 1 yesterday. Enjoying the game for the most part.

Anyone else notice that Tales of games seem to have a trend of the main character's dad (if he is in the game) being a failure as a father? I don't know if it applies to every single Tales of game, but it seems to be more common than in other series. Only exception that immediately comes to mind is probably Cless's dad, but he was only sort of in Phantasia.

Ivar just makes me think Ikea shelving unit. 

*googles*

Ivar is also a chair.

And a doormat. HEY-O!

He may be a doormat, but he has still managed to dress a major deity as a stripper. And thus he is also extremely creepy.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: August 18, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »

Anyone else notice that Tales of games seem to have a trend of the main character's dad (if he is in the game) being a failure as a father? I don't know if it applies to every single Tales of game, but it seems to be more common than in other series. Only exception that immediately comes to mind is probably Cless's dad, but he was only sort of in Phantasia.

I think dead dads are more trendy. I'm having trouble recalling fathers that were actually alive during the game.

He may be a doormat, but he has still managed to dress a major deity as a stripper. And thus he is also extremely creepy.

Now that I think about it, how does Milla get her books? I doubt Rieze Maxia has Amazon, so Ivar got them for her? Extremely, extremely creepy.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »

I think dead dads are more trendy. I'm having trouble recalling fathers that were actually alive during the game.

Off the top of my head, characters that had dads alive at the beginning of the game who they interact with at least a little:
-Jude
-Asbel (who has the "father of the year")
-Luke
-Lloyd
-Cless
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:30:05 AM by Ranadiel » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »

I think the Tales games speak to those really frustrated Japanese youths (and some adults) who have serious communication issues with their parents. It's often a distant father figure and a doting mother figure who explains how the dad just doesn't know how to express his love towards his sons. Japan as a society isn't very open about parent-child communication like in Western countries. It's mostly just a one-way street.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »

I think the Tales games speak to those really frustrated Japanese youths (and some adults) who have serious communication issues with their parents. It's often a distant father figure and a doting mother figure who explains how the dad just doesn't know how to express his love towards his sons. Japan as a society isn't very open about parent-child communication like in Western countries. It's mostly just a one-way street.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: August 19, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »

-Jude
-Asbel (who has the "father of the year")
-Luke
-Lloyd
-Cless

Didn't Cless' parents die in the first hour? Well, I think it was fixed with some time travel later, but still...
Code:
Asbel's
father dies as well, so he's two tropes in one, I guess?

That and parents tend to get in the way of adventuring. One of the few exceptions I can think of is Miranda from Grandia III, who accompanied Yuki for a while and then set off on her own adventure with a hot guy they found on the beach.

Oh, and the people in Saga Frontier II, I guess. There aren't many heroines out there who get to fight the final boss together with their grandpa.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »

Halfway through Graces and Asbel's mother definitely breaks the doting mold. I think most NPCs milling around at the docks have more dialog than she does. Even being used to the RPG lead leaving home I was surprised with how much they treat her like an inanimate object. She is a thing that stands in a bedroom and has no significant value or meaning.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2013, 11:34:03 AM »

Halfway through Graces and Asbel's mother definitely breaks the doting mold. I think most NPCs milling around at the docks have more dialog than she does. Even being used to the RPG lead leaving home I was surprised with how much they treat her like an inanimate object. She is a thing that stands in a bedroom and has no significant value or meaning.

Just you wait.
Just.  You.  Wait.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »

She was pretty useless (and her blue hair does everything but compliment that awful maroon/peach coloured dress), but a lot of her interactions help the player understand the trouble with Asbel and his dad and the problem Hubert presented to the equation. It's not much, but given the patriarchy of Windor, pretty realistic with respect to past historical squabbles.

And yeah, Cless' dad and Asbel's both bite the dust early on. I like the idea that parents "hinder" our heroes adventures. Luke's dad was a surprisingly small player with his uncle having the bigger role.... In general I actually loved the political affiliations that each party member in Abyss had
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:55:29 AM by Dice » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »

So I just got to Kanbalar in my Jude run, level 40 due to getting into the old vicalle mines and accidentally kicking the shit out of mobs. Kinda glad I did, enemies seem to have way to mucb hp, battles are annoyingly longer than I care to deal with for the most part. Every now and then I jump the game to hard for some combo fun, but honestly Linked Artes are so OP that the fights don't feel much longer than normal anymore. I may be a tad bias atm though, since I'm playing three games at the same time and controls are all over the place, so one day something's hard and the next it's cake again...damn I need a ram upgrade irl, can't process shit anymore.

TASTY!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/game/ps3/tales-of-xillia

Anime News Networks Review.  Not the best game review source, but a review that finally is willing to beat it down and one I almost 100% agree with.

I was fond that they pointed out that the 'old man' in this game is over 35 years old (I actually thought that shtick with Raven got old and annoying). :P

I'm gonna be "one of those" and say that if you've grown up with Tales games, and been a long-time fan, I can't imagine anyone really loving this game.  The last paragraph of the review is a good sum up of why, even though not a BAD game, seems to explain Xillia's 'lack' with me:

Xillia is a placebo shaped into the form of a Tales game that we're expected to swallow while we wait for the real one, the one that wasn't rushed out the door to meet an arbitrary anniversary. It is middle of the road. It is without purpose. It is inert. Its characters are mostly inoffensive, its systems are mostly underdeveloped, and its story doesn't bother getting interesting until long after it's depleted every ounce of player goodwill. Alternate costumes are rare to the point of nonexistent (unless you want to pay real dollars for them, then there's swimsuit DLC). It's got pretty cool combat, some of the best combat in the series, probably, you just have to be willing to slog through the crap leveling and the tasteless pabulum of everything else to get at it. Xillia attempts to cut out the tedium and the small annoyances we've come to associate with Tales, but it's left nothing in their place. If we go by extremes, Xillia is one of the least irritating Tales games, but it is least irritating by way of indifference.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:54:59 PM by Dice » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: August 19, 2013, 02:29:18 PM »

If you happen to love the characters, you'll love Xillia. That's how it usually goes, isn't it? They're really what makes every Tales game different. The stories are often very similar and/or have similar plot twists and a bad Tales battlesystem is still a more fun than what you'll find in most other RPG's. So it all comes down to the characters.

It's the main reason I prefer Abyss and Vesperia over, say, Legendia and Graces.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:34 PM »

If you happen to love the characters, you'll love Xillia. That's how it usually goes, isn't it? They're really what makes every Tales game different. The stories are often very similar and/or have similar plot twists and a bad Tales battlesystem is still a more fun than what you'll find in most other RPG's. So it all comes down to the characters.

It's the main reason I prefer Abyss and Vesperia over, say, Legendia and Graces.

Alvin proves there's no such thing as karma.

But besides him, I agree that Tales has always been about its characters > plot.  I just feel we averaged out the results here instead and created a decent plot and decent characters -- but nothing more and both lacking particular depth.  The villains were especially underplayed or underdeveloped.  Jude lacked motivation and was generally aimless, Leia is a delight but probably with the least real plot-involvement (tagging along with the party almost for "reasons" on par with Malik's in ToG), Elize shares the spotlight with the more amusing Teepo (as spend about 10 plot hours inquiring about Jiao), Milla was all about her mission, and Rowen gets sidelined for pretty much of the second half of the story.

Code:
Nachtigal's right hand man became the "villain" for all of half hour of the plot before we see a 180 of having Muzet and Gaius taking the centre stage for whatever reason.  At the very least, I thought Gaius was a better King than a villain.  Maxwell was just a dick.  The Chimeriad is chock FULL of great plot, but in the main-game their stories are relegated to them being obstacles to the main party and getting knocked down. See http://taleslations.tumblr.com/ for great information compilations on this.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:44:30 PM by Dice » Logged

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

To be fair, if karma does exist, he'll probably won't notice it until he starts his next life. Odds are he'll be reincarnated as some kind of bacteria you find in dog turds, or something.

That said, I like Alvin.
Code:
He seems like unapologetic traitor, but he doesn't actually want to see the people he likes get hurt. He's indecisive and screws up again and again, but he helps the others just as much if not more. And when he finally figures out he can't and shouldn't continue living the way he does, he tries to make amends.

(So, yeah, basically he's a badboy who needs a hug and I guess I just can't resist those charms <_<)

As for the other characters, what bothers me is that much of their development is so easy to miss out on since it's not part of the main quest. It feels like bad storytelling at times. Of course, that all ties in with the game being rushed out to meet the deadline. If it hadn't been the anniversary game, it might have had much more content.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: August 19, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »

To be fair, if karma does exist, he'll probably won't notice it until he starts his next life. Odds are he'll be reincarnated as some kind of bacteria you find in dog turds, or something.

That said, I like Alvin.
Code:
He seems like unapologetic traitor, but he doesn't actually want to see the people he likes get hurt. He's indecisive and screws up again and again, but he helps the others just as much if not more. And when he finally figures out he can't and shouldn't continue living the way he does, he tries to make amends.

(So, yeah, basically he's a badboy who needs a hug and I guess I just can't resist those charms <_<)

As for the other characters, what bothers me is that much of their development is so easy to miss out on since it's not part of the main quest. It feels like bad storytelling at times. Of course, that all ties in with the game being rushed out to meet the deadline. If it hadn't been the anniversary game, it might have had much more content.

I feel like this is the Tom Hiddleston (Loki) situation all over again. 
I DO sympathize with Alvin if it wasn't for the fact it was so...repetitive.  I thought he had a great backstory that was simply terribly written out.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: