Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329349 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 23703 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »

To be fair, if karma does exist, he'll probably won't notice it until he starts his next life. Odds are he'll be reincarnated as some kind of bacteria you find in dog turds, or something.

That said, I like Alvin.
Code:
He seems like unapologetic traitor, but he doesn't actually want to see the people he likes get hurt. He's indecisive and screws up again and again, but he helps the others just as much if not more. And when he finally figures out he can't and shouldn't continue living the way he does, he tries to make amends.

(So, yeah, basically he's a badboy who needs a hug and I guess I just can't resist those charms <_<)

As for the other characters, what bothers me is that much of their development is so easy to miss out on since it's not part of the main quest. It feels like bad storytelling at times. Of course, that all ties in with the game being rushed out to meet the deadline. If it hadn't been the anniversary game, it might have had much more content.

I feel like this is the Tom Hiddleston (Loki) situation all over again. 
I DO sympathize with Alvin if it wasn't for the fact it was so...repetitive.  I thought he had a great backstory that was simply terribly written out.

Repetitive as in this?

Rowen: The king and I were once great friends.
Alvin: *Shifty eyes*

Milla: We need to reach Rashugal.

Elize: I don't know who my uncle is.

Leia: You're my little buddy!

Jude: Alvin, what are bazoongas?

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:46 PM »

Haha! XD It reminds me of what Abyss keeps doing over and over.

"Could it possibly be...?"
"Something wrong?/ What's up?/ Huh?"
"It's n-nothing. IGNORE ME!"

It makes certain plot twists waaaay too predictable.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:45 AM »

I feel like this is the Tom Hiddleston (Loki) situation all over again. 

It is, there's no denying it. But in Alvin's defence: he's a bit less of a failure than Loki.

BTW
Code:
I like to think Alvin NOT betraying you was the plottwist. I mean, the moment you meet him it's pretty obvious he's not to be trusted. He doesn't even try to come up with some decent lies. You get to see him burn his bridges one by one. The real turning point it when he figures out he's been acting like a butthole and realises it might be too late make amends. He's lucky he has this whole bromance thing going one with J.D.... [i]Jude[/i], or I'm pretty sure he'd have been kicked out of the party. ("I like to think Alvin understands my feelings." Seriously, Jude? Seriously?)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:10:14 AM by Tomara » Logged
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »

Might want to spoiler proof that a bit.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »

Oops, good point!

But now I'm wondering
Code:
is Alvin's redemption (or attempt at it, I mean, wow, that guy really sucks at life) really a spoiler? Traitors don't usually die in Tales.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

Milla as Dhaos is fucking BOSS.

(New DLC is up)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »

Just spent 24 dollars on DLCs... Man Namco knows how to make money
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »

I don't know whether to praise you for having that much money and sacrifice your future expenses on chocolate bars...or be ashamed that this game has too many DLC outfits and nearly none whatsoever in the game.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2013, 08:44:27 PM »

FUCKING SPOILERS!!!!!

Code:
Jiao pulled a Mareg...

TASTY!
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »

I don't know whether to praise you for having that much money and sacrifice your future expenses on chocolate bars...or be ashamed that this game has too many DLC outfits and nearly none whatsoever in the game.

I would say the latter is more accurate... Anyway for anyone who's interested:
Leon's custom is well worth it.  Dat Irony of Fate
Idolmaster customs are probably worth it.  They all look pretty good
I was hoping for Fighting of the Spirit to be the music for Mint, or Kratos, but it's not the case...
Farah one was not worth.  All in my opinion of course
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2013, 01:04:30 AM »

Beat it.  I was at the last dungeon for a week doing a bunch of side stuffs.  Ah well, more thoughts:

Minor, perhaps, but no overt spoilers:

Code:
= I'm glad there wasn't any real and overt affection or romance between Jude and Milla.  Not because it would have been tacked on or obvious (on Jude's part), but because I liked the bond more than the love....  Actually, what am I saying?? Their chemistry wasn't all that impressive, a big "oh no no" for a game that posits a dual-lead role.
= Elympios is really, really gross looking.  But it [i]sounds damn fine[/i].  
= Fenmont reminds me of my bedroom.  It's nice and atmospheric at night, but when I turn the lights on....it loses that ambiance and just looks bad.
= The final few scenes, Milla went back to sounding like a fan-dub.  Her last few emotional lines really missed the moment.
= Leia is horrible plot-wise (despite being lovable otherwise), she's got probably the worst damage output for an attacker as well.  But her skills are a amazing.
= Muzet was a waste.
= The letters at the end were a good epilogue and a good way to usher in Xill2.
= I kinda miss the cel-shading, and whoever was in charge of the overworld 'scale maps' needs to be shot...and the dungeon designer.
= Nuance, but Milla's design bugs me nearly every time its on screen.  Between ridiculous hair (it doesn't flow very nicely either), cardboard thin waist, dumbass outfit, massive attention-whore [color=magenta]magenta[/color] eyes I hate when she's on (I bought her beach outfit because it's 1000x more tame).... if not tacky and impracticle, I hate the lack of any cohesiveness to the whole ensemble: It's a barrage of colours on a skimpy outfit.
Being generous, this game is a 7/10.
I can't wait for Xill2 and Symphonia.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:12:52 AM by Dice » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:09 AM »

I would say the latter is more accurate... Anyway for anyone who's interested:
Leon's custom is well worth it.  Dat Irony of Fate
Idolmaster customs are probably worth it.  They all look pretty good
I was hoping for Fighting of the Spirit to be the music for Mint, or Kratos, but it's not the case...
Farah one was not worth.  All in my opinion of course
The Mint outfit has Take up Your Cross though!....or at least I think that is what the song's title is. That moved Elize to number two spot because I also got Milla's Dhaos costume and I don't care for the Dhaos music.

Shocked that we got the Idolmaster titles. Wonder if we will get the Star Driver ones also. I don't recall liking any of those, but it still would be cool to have all costumes released.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »

Dunno if any of y'all noticed, but Fenmont Seahaven has the infamous Wanted Posters for Jude and Milla.  They're wonderfully awful, just 'quick jump' to the port and it's on a post board.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »

For anyone else who dislikes Milla's default hair (like I do)

Put the hairstyle you get for hats on her + the monkey headband.
It looks 100,000% less stupid.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2013, 01:19:04 PM »

That's what I did! It goes really well with the custume you get for completing her storyline. Add some elf-ears to make her even more spirit-like.

As for DLC costumes: for some reason I don't really like having the characters cosplay other characters. I mean, it's bad enough half of the VAs voiced Tales-characters before or sound just like VAs who did (I'm looking at you, Matt Mercer!). Add cosplay in the mix and my brain might explode!

I did consider making Alvin walk around in his swim outfit for half a second, but I realised that would make me as much as a creep as Ivar.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: