Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:59:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 30333 times)
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2013, 03:18:23 AM »

I beat ToX this weekend as well, hard mode, Milla path.  I had a great time overall, however the final boss fight really mauled the positive outlook on the game I was so close to walking away with.

On my first try, SIXTY-FIVE minutes on the battle.  Maybe 2 minutes of tension, 15 minutes of "still full HP?" 15 minutes of "SERIOUSLY LEIA I'M USING KNOCKDOWN DO YOUR THING," and 35 minutes of chipping away at 500,000 hp during a constant stream of combo breakers.  What a tedious, foul way to end an otherwise pleasant experience.

Jude never did grow on me.  He turns into an alright guy, but that's only because Milla is awesome.  I don't know how much of a different view his path gives, but from the Milla path, he's a guy who runs into a hot girl, abandons all his previous beliefs and work to follow her around, and continues to adjust his values and beliefs as needed in order to continue to follow her.  To me, this is not the story of a wise doctor who could potentially save the world, it's the story of the guy who robs a liquor store to pay for some time with that stripper he really likes.  Perhaps just a dude who lives a mildly unhappy life with a chihuahua in a pink living room, but certainly not the doctor thing.

...doesn't really sound like it based on this post but looking forward to ToX2 and may have been inspired to try to make it more than 9 hours into tales of the abyss.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »

And I finished Jude's story last night; really loved the game overall, and while its a bit unpolished and the story could had used a bit more romance and plot development, I'd say this is my favorite Tales games, sharing the first place in the podium with T. of the Abyss; Now I'm off to play Graces F and do Milla's story.
As for Xillia's story and character, I really liked Jude and Millia's development, and their bittersweet ending, while makings sense for the overall story, still hurt a bit; I've always hated a bit how the developing teams of the Tales Series does their hardest to avoid canon coupling or resolved romance on the series; sure, it helps avoid getting involved in fandom wars, but I would love to see a Tales game with a definitive and resolved love story.

Oh just wait they make a canon coupling in Tales of Graces F......which consists of two characters with some of the worst romantic chemistry in a Tales of game. And I am sure that I just pissed off someone or another with that comment. Oh well.

As an aside, for reason I really don't see the Jude/Milla relationship as being "romantic". I realize that Jude has something of an obsession with Milla, but I just don't feel like the core of his feelings for Milla are romantic. He probably wouldn't be opposed to a romantic relation ship with her, but I think that is far from his first feeling when thinking about her. I feel weird saying this because I normally look for romantic relationship subtexts in every media I consume, but just not feeling it this time.
Ryoken

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »

Oh just wait they make a canon coupling in Tales of Graces F......which consists of two characters with some of the worst romantic chemistry in a Tales of game. And I am sure that I just pissed off someone or another with that comment. Oh well.

As an aside, for reason I really don't see the Jude/Milla relationship as being "romantic". I realize that Jude has something of an obsession with Milla, but I just don't feel like the core of his feelings for Milla are romantic. He probably wouldn't be opposed to a romantic relation ship with her, but I think that is far from his first feeling when thinking about her. I feel weird saying this because I normally look for romantic relationship subtexts in every media I consume, but just not feeling it this time.

The problem is that a bit before and after Milla's return and Jude "growing up", is the time frame where both Jude stops being a follower and Milla comes around her humanity, and that leaves little time for both of them to interact together and develop once they both become more developed and mature characters.
But if you look at some of the skits and in game scenes, its clear that they love each other; however, the shared dream they come to share, to save both worlds and change things it so spirits and human can coexist in balance means sacrificing their own happiness; and as they both state in the final battle, both of them have come to terms with that sacrifice; their shared dream is more important than their love.
Had the game expanded more on this on its 4th chapter and actually made the relationship more solidly developed in the story, the game's story and ending would had been way more memorable and way more bittersweet.
But alas, they were probably playing it safe with the fandom.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »

And I finished Jude's story last night; really loved the game overall, and while its a bit unpolished and the story could had used a bit more romance and plot development, I'd say this is my favorite Tales games, sharing the first place in the podium with T. of the Abyss; Now I'm off to play Graces F and do Milla's story.
As for Xillia's story and character, I really liked Jude and Millia's development, and their bittersweet ending, while makings sense for the overall story, still hurt a bit; I've always hated a bit how the developing teams of the Tales Series does their hardest to avoid canon coupling or resolved romance on the series; sure, it helps avoid getting involved in fandom wars, but I would love to see a Tales game with a definitive and resolved love story.

Code:
I actually thought their hand holding at the end was PERFECT.  I felt it was far from romantic, but much more about a deep connection; much more meaningful than if he just sprang a hug on her.

I would never call it 'romantic' myself either, but I'm not keen on calling it an obsession.  It was a "first love", or even puppy love if anything, it would go away.... but it wouldn't be forgotten!  Which I think works in the context of the 'save the world' plot and the ending. 
Still, my main issue was rather the lack of development between the two, the lack of playing with ideas, and more simply talking to each other.  I think the main problem was because Jude was too aimless, there was little plot-wise for him to talk about.  Lloyd x Colette would often talk about their journey as being the 'Chosen' or that goofy charm he had to make her, Estelle x Yuri (to whatever extent) talked about the kingdom and their opposing life styles, Luke x Tear would talk about the former's future (due to the lack of a childhood) and the latter's past (and her complicated relationship with her working life and her brother).

Milla talks about 'the mission', and Jude says "don't worry I can help; I got nothing better to do!".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

A romance between those two seems a bit creepy to me. I mean...Milla is an Amazon girl compared to Jude. I find it awkward in a relationship that the girl is taller than the boy.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »

A romance between those two seems a bit creepy to me. I mean...Milla is an Amazon girl compared to Jude. I find it awkward in a relationship that the girl is taller than the boy.

I know right, men should grow up, even despite the five year gap between Jude and Milla, it's just real awkward.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ryoken

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »

I know right, men should grow up, even despite the five year gap between Jude and Milla, it's just real awkward.

I actually loved that from the game and their relationship; Milla being the one more in control and active, with Jude slowly growing up and keeping with her emotionally.
But yeah, i can see it being awkward, specially since there's clearly a rather..step bump in them looking eye to eye.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »

Jude has those handskills, pretty sure his height problem is more than made up for his "dexterity".

TASTY!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2013, 11:54:52 AM »

Jude has those handskills, pretty sure his height problem is more than made up for his "dexterity".

HEYO

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ryoken

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »

He's also extremely good at back approaches, lest we forget.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: August 26, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »

Snap pivot....or surprise buttsex?

TASTY!
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »

Feels more awkward when you learn Jude is 15 years old. Youngest (and shortest) Tales male lead ever.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »

The golden rule of jRPG age:

0-20 Add 3 years.
20-30 Add 5 years
30-40 Add 10 years
40-60 Substract 10 years
60-80 Substract 20 years
80-99 Substract 40 years
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:54 AM »

This has got to be the weirdest complaint about their relationship I've ever heard.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »

Star Ocean 3 is 10 years old.

It also has a better 'to scale' world map than Xillia.

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: