Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 12:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327557 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 21893 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:01 PM »

-And better dungeons.
-And slightly more interesting characters
-But equally silly and poorly paced story
-But even worse audio recording
-That could have been salvaged by a set of individual volume controls.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »

You gotta be kidding, I use SO3 as an example of one of the worst world maps in existence. You can see one town from the entrance of the next, the entire world feels like it's within about 5 miles of itself! Hate that game. Hate the obsession with to-scale world maps. Games should only do it if they're willing to put a lot of time into it and make it huge, otherwise, make a not-to-scale map so that the actual DISTANCES are to scale.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »

And for the love of god, if you make a real to scale world... give me flight or a legendary horse =P
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »

You gotta be kidding, I use SO3 as an example of one of the worst world maps in existence. You can see one town from the entrance of the next, the entire world feels like it's within about 5 miles of itself! Hate that game. Hate the obsession with to-scale world maps. Games should only do it if they're willing to put a lot of time into it and make it huge, otherwise, make a not-to-scale map so that the actual DISTANCES are to scale.

1) would you want to walk digital miles to reach another town? It might have been hurried, but since (and in a major drawback in general) there wasn't any fast-travel, reaching the other end of the "kingdom"was appreciated
2) two each their own, .but I personally find world maps overrated. It's been great to see them (when they happen) on an HD system (Vesperia, ni no kuni, I think Lost Odyssey had a good one), but exploration is lacking and to often is like an excuse to add details. It's basic point A to point N
3) my point want whether they were good maps but rather star ocean was way more detailed than Xillia's attempt which is a series of interconnected boxed ridges, ledges, and large bunny holes.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
The Legendary Zoltan
Narcissistic Legend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2013, 05:57:10 AM »

I haven't played Xillia yet. I love Star Ocean 3's world. If only they could have made it so that when you're running on the world map, you can also freely fight enemies without entering a separate screen and listening to the battle theme for the one-millionth time. But that would have been really hard to pull off. Of course, everyone can like whatever they like. I also like scaled down world maps.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »

Oh wow, there's a Leia cosplay in the latest ep of Genshiken nidaime.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2013, 03:08:31 AM »

I have this friend, Lea (pronounce as 'Leia'), who acts just like Leia. Lea's favourite clothes are also similar to what Leia wears in Xillia 2 (same style, RL colours). She's a cosplayer, so I've been trying to get her into Tales of Xillia. Sadly, she doesn't play games that often...
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »

So I'm pretty far into my New Game+ run through (just got to the ice church)....and this game really did not need two perspectives. So much of the stuff is common that I only feel a slight addition to the game from having the second perspective. Side note, I really feel at least so far that Jude's perspective is the more complete story. I dunno maybe the portion after the ship will change my mind. >.>
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »

So I'm pretty far into my New Game+ run through (just got to the ice church)....and this game really did not need two perspectives. So much of the stuff is common that I only feel a slight addition to the game from having the second perspective. Side note, I really feel at least so far that Jude's perspective is the more complete story. I dunno maybe the portion after the ship will change my mind. >.>

importers agree

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:31 PM »

Milla's side skips a HUGE part in Jude's side that has more characters involved.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2013, 02:04:25 AM »

At that point in the game where you can move on to the point of no return...just running around and tying up loose ends, thought it feels like there is far less to do compared to Graces.

I started out by playing Milla's story first and after a certain part I sort of felt that I should have played Jude first...Oh well!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2013, 06:51:32 AM »

Milla's side skips a HUGE part in Jude's side that has more characters involved.
Yeah and what she gets instead really isn't that interesting. I think it probably would have been best had they just done one story and combined all the scenes together.

Alternatively.....(late game spoilers)
Code:
I almost feel like the game would have been better had they let Milla stay dead after her death. Losing a party member that late would have been annoying, but at the same time I feel it would have made the storyline stronger to leave her out of the last arc and have Jude continue to chart his own path.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »

I like Milla's side insofar it spends more time with the characters.  Jude constantly gabs about "Milla-this, Milla-that", but I've noticed a lack of "Jude-talk" with her side.  I also like Milla because of her interactions with the party; she definitely gets a lot more screentime with Alvin (the most wasted character since they give him an amazing role but an annoying habit of fucking you over), she plays at having an interesting bond with Leia who also (on whatever level) has feelings for Jude, she's calm and collected like Rowen, she's motherly to Elize, and.... yeah, I feel her bond with Jude is "good" at best based mostly on spending the most time together.

And I said in the journal thread, but this game is *definitely* a lot better better when it stick to more "traditional Tales storytelling"; when the characters stand around and chat in sub-events than using grand cinematics for most of the main plot.  There's a ton of these events, and probably the best and only way to flesh it out.

Graces with respect to side content, was amazing.  F-arc, secret dungeon, titles (that involved collecting, creating, travelling, and fighting to unearth), etc.  I *hate* how little attention the game gets or how quickly it's tossed aside for having less than impressive story and characters.  What the hell -- I'm sorry someone made a GAME play like a GAME should! >=/

Vesperia still holds a lot of love in my heart and I'm one of those fans who would sign a petition a thousand time or walk with a picket sign if I knew it would do anything.  But with respect to side content; fuck....so much is missable.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »

Milla is now my new favorite Tales chick. Sorry Judy, you're awesome and all, but I understand Jude. I want to....help her....all the time. Idk what it is though, maybe it's her complete switch from godlike deity to bimbo on a mission to determined diva that sold me. Plus her actual text dialogue is awesome. Yeah, the VA needs to go back to acting school, but if you imagine some emotion behind it like in the skits, its awesome. I know I would challenge the very maker of the world for her....assuming I had spent several days power leveling in an accidentally discovered dungeon.

TASTY!
lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »

I for one didn't have much issue with Milla's voice.  It sounds ... adequate.  Not much better or worse than say Cheria Laura Bailey.  Felt like it fit her well.  On the other hand, I felt like Rowen's voice needs some improvement.  Can't say exactly what's wrong but just doesn't feel right sometimes for some reason.

Just completely finished with Jude's side.  All sidequests, post game dungeon, etc etc.  Ended up with about 5300 grade and 3milion gald.  Started a new game with Milla.   I have to say it's short.  Clocked right around 80 hours but that's with almost everything done.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: