Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338370 Posts in 13852 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 29200 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2013, 12:43:46 AM »

So I fought the certain boss with tons of cutscene along the fight.
So glad I ate a 200% xp meal before because I got 5 levels on everyone =)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2013, 07:14:45 AM »

I like Milla's side insofar it spends more time with the characters.  Jude constantly gabs about "Milla-this, Milla-that", but I've noticed a lack of "Jude-talk" with her side.  I also like Milla because of her interactions with the party; she definitely gets a lot more screentime with Alvin (the most wasted character since they give him an amazing role but an annoying habit of fucking you over), she plays at having an interesting bond with Leia who also (on whatever level) has feelings for Jude, she's calm and collected like Rowen, she's motherly to Elize, and.... yeah, I feel her bond with Jude is "good" at best based mostly on spending the most time together.

O.o Milla spends more time with the characters? Did I miss a segment of Milla's story? Assuming I didn't, she spends less time with the characters than Jude. For the most part, the storylines share scenes together, when they don't they usually fall into one of two categories with two exceptions I can think of.

1. Main character talks to everyone, which occurs in both storylines with slightly different scenes of about the same length
2. Party splits into two, in which case they get roughly equal time with different characters

The two exceptions being one Milla/Alvin scene and spoiler:
Code:
The beginning of chapter 4, where Jude gets a bit of time interacting with the party while Milla spends time being a mute before the Great Four.

I also don't know about Milla getting more screentime with Alvin. I think it might actually be about even due to the above spoiler. Not sure about that though.

Edit: Also I just remembered that Milla misses out on two major scenes that have a major impact on some of the party members.

Code:
Specifically Alvin shooting Leia and the deaths of two of the Chimeriad.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 07:39:07 AM by Ranadiel » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »

I like Milla's side insofar it spends more time with the characters.  Jude constantly gabs about "Milla-this, Milla-that", but I've noticed a lack of "Jude-talk" with her side.  I also like Milla because of her interactions with the party; she definitely gets a lot more screentime with Alvin (the most wasted character since they give him an amazing role but an annoying habit of fucking you over), she plays at having an interesting bond with Leia who also (on whatever level) has feelings for Jude, she's calm and collected like Rowen, she's motherly to Elize, and.... yeah, I feel her bond with Jude is "good" at best based mostly on spending the most time together.

O.o Milla spends more time with the characters? Did I miss a segment of Milla's story? Assuming I didn't, she spends less time with the characters than Jude. For the most part, the storylines share scenes together, when they don't they usually fall into one of two categories with two exceptions I can think of.

1. Main character talks to everyone, which occurs in both storylines with slightly different scenes of about the same length
2. Party splits into two, in which case they get roughly equal time with different characters

The two exceptions being one Milla/Alvin scene and spoiler:
Code:
The beginning of chapter 4, where Jude gets a bit of time interacting with the party while Milla spends time being a mute before the Great Four.

I also don't know about Milla getting more screentime with Alvin. I think it might actually be about even due to the above spoiler. Not sure about that though.

Edit: Also I just remembered that Milla misses out on two major scenes that have a major impact on some of the party members.

Code:
Specifically Alvin shooting Leia and the deaths of two of the Chimeriad.

I probably misspoke then, but I do prefer her interactions than Jude's.  I got through her "alone" segments (before the Woods' Temple and after the S.S.) and I liked her former "hangout" with Rowen and Leia more than Jude's side with Alvin and Elize, while the second alone segment while "different" is simply a drag to play through (made worse by annoying missable quests and treasures/monsters that add to the collector's book).  I like that we get more about the weirdness of spirits an such through her, but definitely not enough to better the overall plot in the same way Jude's time gets invested.  Still, I'm sure Agent D would agree, but I find her chats with party members much more valuable, she seems and talks like she is the centre of the story, whereas Jude's interactions are more that of the "tag-along".

Alvin/Mill
Code:
There was a scene in Xian Du where the part can't find Milla and Alvin and it's because they went to see his mum; also a sidequest where they fight Exodus members together; Jude never really gets that same treatment, Alvin says he hates Jude instead despite his "buddy-brother" act towards him; whether he meant that he hate him or was just mad with Milla gonna and dead is a different story

I felt the Chimeriad were a damn fine addition (well, except for Wingull, who *literally* speaks gibberish half the time), if the game could have done anything, I'd have loved to see them fleshed out.  Which reminds me:
Code:
Anyone else feel Gaius and Muzet as the "final villains" was contrived and annoying?  Gaius wants to rule more (which might be realistic in an ongoing search for power but still kind of....boring.  While Muzet simply loses her mind.  I liked her anyways as a character, but her motivation was nothing short of uninspiring.  I also found the all-wise and magical Maxwell to be a magical old dickhead in the end.

I for one didn't have much issue with Milla's voice.  It sounds ... adequate.  Not much better or worse than say Cheria Laura Bailey.  Felt like it fit her well.  On the other hand, I felt like Rowen's voice needs some improvement.  Can't say exactly what's wrong but just doesn't feel right sometimes for some reason.

Just completely finished with Jude's side.  All sidequests, post game dungeon, etc etc.  Ended up with about 5300 grade and 3milion gald.  Started a new game with Milla.   I have to say it's short.  Clocked right around 80 hours but that's with almost everything done.

I definitely liked her voice more and more -- it's certainly really different to standard voices that are much less deep and husky (Laura Baily is probably a perfect opposite, actually).  She has problems with some line delivery, and the audio quality sucked nut for her.

I love Rowen's character and his voice.... but yeah, something was off.  For me, personally, it might have something to do with the fact Japan actually got a 60-year-old to do the voice, we got a 30 year old PUTTING ON a voice.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

Will somebody tell me how close I am to the end of this damn game?  It just keeps going and going.  I am currently:

Code:
fighting Nachtigal at his castle in Fenmont

lavarock

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

I definitely liked her voice more and more -- it's certainly really different to standard voices that are much less deep and husky (Laura Baily is probably a perfect opposite, actually).  She has problems with some line delivery, and the audio quality sucked nut for her.
I love Rowen's character and his voice.... but yeah, something was off.  For me, personally, it might have something to do with the fact Japan actually got a 60-year-old to do the voice, we got a 30 year old PUTTING ON a voice.

That explains it... I loved Rowen's character as well, especial certain sub-events involving him.   His character is done quite well.  For Milla's voice, in the beginning something seems off (the mature voice I guess?).  But it grows on me and seems to fit her.  The best voice IMO is Alvin's.  Fit him exactly.

Have to say voice acting is very solid in this game.  Hopefully the day of voice acting the like of Symphonia 2 is behind us.

The only issue I have with the game is (big spoiler)
Code:
how easy forgiving the team is, e.g. Muzet after she murdered lots of people.  Let's all just welcome the sociopath in the group...

Will somebody tell me how close I am to the end of this damn game?  It just keeps going and going.  I am currently:
Code:
fighting Nachtigal at his castle in Fenmont

Sorry not even close... about half way?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 08:21:47 PM by lavarock » Logged
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »

Finally finished Xillia.
I can see why everyone says it ends abruptly.

The last dungeon really comes out of nowhere and takes like 10 minutes without the cutscenes =/
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:01 AM »

Playing through all the side quests.... fucking Alvin would have been a better hero than Jude.  And Jude is a ringer.

Also, let us take a moment to love on Leia in the battlefield.
TP Surge + HP Surge + Multi-Item (+ Lucky Item) = Life Bottles that are as effective as Omega Elixers.  Thanks Leia!

The secret dungeon boss was a great and an unexpected challenge (definitely making up for how fucking stupid/shitty the "dungeon" leading up to it is).  I played it all with Alvin to boot... I like him enough, but he's too slow for a fight like that (but I needed his and other related Titles).

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »

Grandmaster arena challenge with slow ass Alvin VS super quick Jude was an exercise of frustration...
Alvin should have had something like Glory (ToV) as long as you have max Charge (instead of guaranteed crits).
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:30 AM »

Never had much of a problem playing Alvin. Sword too slow? Shoot things in the face. Variable Trigger and Pulse Shot are amazing. The first one is fast and pushes the enemy back. You can fight through a huge part of the arena with just that one move. If enemies aren't killed in one shot, there's a decent chance they'll be pushed over the edge. If not, fire again. He won't even need to move from the safety of the center. Pulse Shot is multihit and combos really nicely. The biggest drawback is his TP problem, but you get plenty of items in the arena and outside you can team up with Elize (sharing is caring!) or have Leia throw items at him (great way to get that auto-item title).

I played most of my second playthrough as Alvin and yeah, the guy deserves his own game. Or atleast a DLC chapter or something. I'd pay for that.

The last dungeon really comes out of nowhere and takes like 10 minutes without the cutscenes =/

I kinda liked it. The final boss wanted a fair fight, so it wouldn't make sense for him to try and kill the heroes with a two hour dungeon trip.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »

Now that I've finished the game, I've been looking into which of the character is the most broken (a Tales tradition after all)

Elise wins as she cannot be killed.

The only thing that can go through your guard are some weird arts (like Soaring Vortex) or Mystic Arts which you will laugh at because most of them are elemental and they'll be mostly or fully negated by your 100 resistance to every element. While you are blocking, you reflect damage and toss Pow Hammers and recover HP.

Melee Gamble
Decreases damage received while guarding to 1
Doubles damage received if not guarding

Survive
Prevents being knocked out while guarding

Impregnable Guard
Guard cannot be broken

Pow Hammer
10% chance to strike with a Pow Hammer upon receiving damage

Reflective Guard
Reflects 20% of damage received while guarding

Heal Guard
Recovers HP gradually while guarding

Auto Medicine
15% chance to recover HP upon receiving damage

Recall
40% chance to automatically revive after being knocked out (once per battle)

Angel's Cry
100% chance to automatically revive after being knocked out (once per battle)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:11:31 PM by Annubis » Logged
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

I beat the CRAP out of the game just the other day. And all grips aside about the abrupt ending, I loved every second of it. I finished the extra dungeon and every sub event I could yesterday too. The gold mage knight was challenging, but I was able to kick his ass eventually. I have to say, Elize was a MONSTER during my play through!! I tried hard not to rely on her in boss battles, but I always ended up switching her into my party! It's probably because of her skill that she gets more experience when she heals. And during the harder battles, that's all she's doing. So for the The Gold Mage Knight, she gained like 4 levels. She was insane.

I'm looking forward to playing through Milla's side next, but I'm going to give a little while so I don't get TOO burnt out on these characters and this world before Xillia 2 comes out. :)

pigTails of...
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: September 10, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

Now that I've finished the game, I've been looking into which of the character is the most broken (a Tales tradition after all)

Elise wins as she cannot be killed.

The only thing that can go through your guard are some weird arts (like Soaring Vortex) or Mystic Arts which you will laugh at because most of them are elemental and they'll be mostly or fully negated by your 100 resistance to every element. While you are blocking, you reflect damage and toss Pow Hammers and recover HP.

Melee Gamble
Decreases damage received while guarding to 1
Doubles damage received if not guarding

Survive
Prevents being knocked out while guarding

Impregnable Guard
Guard cannot be broken

Pow Hammer
10% chance to strike with a Pow Hammer upon receiving damage

Reflective Guard
Reflects 20% of damage received while guarding

Heal Guard
Recovers HP gradually while guarding

Auto Medicine
15% chance to recover HP upon receiving damage

Recall
40% chance to automatically revive after being knocked out (once per battle)

Angel's Cry
100% chance to automatically revive after being knocked out (once per battle)

Yeah, she's actually the never-before-seen mage character that's 'ok' to hit the coliseum with.

Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: September 10, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »

Yeah, she's actually the never-before-seen mage character that's 'ok' to hit the coliseum with.

After Jude which I played through the whole game, Elize was the second easiest in the arena.
She's bulky, she has pretty good HP for a mage, she has useful combat artes, 2 great offensive spells and 1 of them can insta-death at really good odds with Teepo ON.
I didn't even need to heal myself while playing the healer =/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 11:26:45 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: September 11, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »

After Jude which I played through the whole game, Elize was the second easiest in the arena.
She's bulky, she has pretty good HP for a mage, she has useful combat artes, 2 great offensive spells and 1 of them can insta-death at really good odds with Teepo ON.
I didn't even need to heal myself while playing the healer =/

I thought a Tales game couldn't make Mages fun.  Both Graces and Xillia have proved beautifully otherwise and Linked Artes make it a bit more fun to take new characters for a spin.  They all seem to have their advantages though.  I definitely think Jude is a ringer, hell even moreso than the lead heroine.

In general though, I think it's safe to say spell casting times have been cut significantly (I remember *attempting* to play as Jade and Genis....it was terribad for these long waits).

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:04 AM »

Ever tried Teepo Copter? Jude wouldn't give me any time to cast decent spells, so I Teepo Coptered my way to victory. Very amusing.

In general though, I think it's safe to say spell casting times have been cut significantly (I remember *attempting* to play as Jade and Genis....it was terribad for these long waits).

I played as Genis for most of Symphonia, but that worked out really well since I was player 2. The AI doesn't know how to take advantage of elemental weaknesses, but I do. And since I didn't need to see what I was doing (most of the time anyway), it was fine when the camera ignored me. In some battles I controled two mages at once. Dual weilding is fun :D
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: