Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:42:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338088 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Xillia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Xillia  (Read 28999 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

Ever tried Teepo Copter? Jude wouldn't give me any time to cast decent spells, so I Teepo Coptered my way to victory. Very amusing.

Pow Hammer stun rate is crazy high, 2-3 Pow Hammer is pretty much a guaranteed stun even against bosses.
Then you have way enough time to throw your strongest spell.

Another thing about Elize is her Pinky quest staff. It's way stronger than even her (sealed) Demon Arm.

On the flip side there's Leia whose final equipment is pretty bad, her offense is so-so, her defense is bad and she's just an 'off'-healer.
Her link special is only good as long as you want to steal stuff. After you've maxed the shop levels, I really don't see why you'd want her in the team anymore. Her only saving grace is that she has a resurrection spell... but then again, Elize has an auto-rez spell so you shouldn't even need it.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

Leia is great because she gives you extremely cheap all-party heals. The things that girl can do with just a single life bottle... Her item-related skills helped me get through some of the toughest boss battles. As for regular battles, Leia has some of the best victory thingies. I kept her around just for that.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

True, she's good with items... too bad I suffer from a weird mental trauma that makes me never want to use items in any RPG.
I think that's the reason why I never end up getting any of the Atelier games.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: September 11, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »

That's... weird. They're there, so you might as well use them, right? And Xillia is really generous with the good stuff; there's nothing you can't buy.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »

Yeah, I just never use items since I think "Hmmm, I might need this later and I can do this without it probably."
This might come from my younger days playing the early DQ games where you had very limited carrying capacity and good items were only found in chests so you wanted to use them only as a last resort.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

I'm the same way, Annubis.  I treat items in RPGs as more precious than my character's lives sometimes...but then I just end up with a bunch of unused items.

I got over that for the Atelier series, though.  Maybe it's because item use is really a 'core mechanic' for those games.  And making new items is pretty easy.

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: September 11, 2013, 02:03:21 PM »

I'm the same way, Annubis.  I treat items in RPGs as more precious than my character's lives sometimes...but then I just end up with a bunch of unused items.

Hahaha! THIS ^^!!! I am so guilty of it myself.

Any how, moving on, I've been absent from this thread for fear of accidental spoilage on myself (due to discussion of xilia 2) and because I really wanted to polish this title off to get to kingdom hearts hd mix before Disgaea comes out in october and takes over my life.

Ironically (with Kingdom hearts release yesterday) I happened to finish Xilia last night/early this morning.

I really hate to say it, but this title was SO bitter sweet for me. Weak in all the respects I typically adore tales games and yet while it had its strong points, those strengths were not exploited well enough to grab me in the way Tales typically does.

I really wanted to love this game. Truly I did... but it was just "hollow" feeling to me... Bland... I feel as though for the last 4 weeks or so I quite literally repeated the same dungeon night after night. Worse yet was how the regurgitated field dungeons offer very little reward for obsessive explorers such as myself baring more items to level up shops.

Secondly, I feel after having played Milla's side of things the game should not even give you a choice as to who to pick. You should have to unlock Milla or something... 3/4 of the game is just fine from her perspective but the last leg of it leaves you totally in the dark with the main plot. While I was aware of this and selected Milla anyhow, I was really not prepared for just how much you miss out on in the last stretch of of the narrative. Worse yet was how they handled "catching you up to speed" on said events so to speak. You quite literally wouldn't even know some things occurred if not for skits that all but glaze over major plot points.

While there were some other things I could certainly whine about, it is time to move on to a more positive note. The cast was great IMO. I really loved a great deal of the characters. Of particular appeal to me was Milla herself, Alvin, Agria the Shadowless and Rowen. Though a great deal of the title proved horribly forgettable to me, the memories of those four in particular will linger. This totally surprised me because I usually don't expect much out of the tales cast. Its about the gameplay to me... and I'm not even getting into that. I want to end this on a positive note.

In terms of JRPG's this title is not bad. In terms of Tales... Major fail in my book. Nuf' said.

NOTE: I know I am probably echoing some of what was already expressed in earlier posts but I had to get it out guys... I totally expected this to rival Disgaea for my personal "game of the year". And once again it wasn't bad. But Tales games are typically stellar by my measure while this was maybe a cut above mediocre in my book.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »

^ I feel a sort of cognitive dissonance when I'm all "DAMN THESE TOWNS ARENICE!" only to hit the overworld and wonder why Riese Maxia is a "succession of box canyons".

I love the past sidequests dealing with Alvin (and his relationship with his mum and Presa), as well as Rowin (and his relation with Nachtigal's family).

But I agree Klyde.  Good game, but it doesn't do the things Tales does best.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »

Xillia's characters are some of my favorite right now. The story was meh sure, and the fields were.....incredibly lacking, plus no sorceror's ring always saddens me. But I love Milla and Jude, adored Eliza and her little eggplant doll Teepo, appreciated Rowan's amazing old man perviness, Alvin's overly suaveness, and ....well Leia was just so cute trying to be all tough girl and shit. It all fell together so well for me, I was sad when it was over.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: September 12, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

Xillia's characters are some of my favorite right now. The story was meh sure, and the fields were.....incredibly lacking, plus no sorceror's ring always saddens me. But I love Milla and Jude, adored Eliza and her little eggplant doll Teepo, appreciated Rowan's amazing old man perviness, Alvin's overly suaveness, and ....well Leia was just so cute trying to be all tough girl and shit. It all fell together so well for me, I was sad when it was over.

Yep that about sums its up for me alright. In a far less longwinded and more concise fashion than my post yesterday might I add!!- LoL

I always tend to get too wordy for my own good...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:46 PM »

Beat ToG with 70ish hours in, made final save, and decided to save future arc and such for the end of play 2 to have something new to look forward to.

Started ToX a few minutes back. Changing camera angles pleases me, but the menus and amount of polish in them... very unTalesy. Just met up with Ms. Maxwell, and trying to decide on my first grind spot. I miss Lhant Hill.

*edit*

ToG -> Grind titles and grind more to max them, character progress is still pretty slow. Beat the main arc on Chaos and it was a challenge even with a few hours of grinding (ended main arc with 120 mastered titles for Asbel and 3200 ether mixer)

ToX -> Started on hard and beat down the red haired girl with my Tales skills. Got to Millia's hometown and the gate guard said the floodmeadow had tougher enemies... got wiped out the first try. Tried a few more times for the challenge and won. Ended up spending about 20 minutes running around killing things and looting without paying attention to level. Realized I'd gone from level 12 to 26. Shop levels all around 30. That was about 6 hours ago. Left to continue and realized all fights are now a joke. Been running through collecting loot and shiny things between story segments and ignoring fights. Boss fights just involve mindless artspam and laughing as they try to injure me.

Eh. All of my Tales experience to date has been grinding and keeping at the highest difficulty I can handle and having the game only really easily "breakable" with grinding at NG+ using the grade shop. I didn't really expect 20 minutes of side grinding/looting to impact the game so much and for so long. If it's this easy to grind up to uber it's good that there's a 2nd play needed to get all of the story or there'd be no reason to NG+ at all.

/pouting
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:59:04 PM by ZshadeZ » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:00 AM »

ZshadeZ:  Yeah, you're not supposed to go into that area until much later in the game.  I'm surprised you were able to handle it, honestly.  Even if you're good enough to not get killed aren't your AI companions getting slaughtered?

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: October 07, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »

ZshadeZ:  Yeah, you're not supposed to go into that area until much later in the game.  I'm surprised you were able to handle it, honestly.  Even if you're good enough to not get killed aren't your AI companions getting slaughtered?
Reminds me of my level grinding in the Keterburg snow fields in Tales of the Abyss. The enemies that appear in Mt. Roneal are also roaming the first portion of the map and thus yield a lot of experience earlier.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: October 07, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »

Third try or so when I won I started with a back attack and rushed with some quick ass beatery and 2 of the little rappy looking bird guys died fairly easily. Then Slenderman touched Alvin in a bad way and he died, but I sidestepped and warped behind him and started punching him in the ass. Millia was far off and set to artes only since I thought she was supposed to be the main mage-type at that point. She auto-item res'd him while I was comboing slender and by the time my ac ran down Alwin and her were both attacking him... he ended up stunlocked by constant attacks until he died, and then we all shot up 2 levels.

The next 2 fights were a pain too, but after that it was fairly easy so I figured it was just a nice little grind spot for challenge. After clearing each map between story areas in Graces 3+ times to try to get titles and get them to level 5 and still having bosses maul me most of the way through I thought 20 minutes of grinding couldn't possibly hurt me. >.<

I've sort of changed plans, if I hit somewhere else with overly high exp that's better than that place was I'll spend an hour in it and continue to RP as epic god slaying martial arts master PHD of Asskickery.

Also I gave Jude sunglasses and made them sink into his head and colored them an aqua that matches his outfit trim. So I'm a PHD of Asskickery with insect eyes.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »

Does anyone know if there's some super special secret to activating the sub event Rowen's Honor? I've read everything I can find online and tried everything. I've flippin' kissed that gate I've gotten so close, I've entered the area from different entrances and approached the gate, nothing is working and I'm most definitely on the right part of the game.

EDIT: Oh forgot I was in a part of the game where Alvin leaves the party for a bit. So common I don't even notice anymore. You can go back to letting this thread drown like your memories of this sub-par game.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:39:03 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: