Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 11:58:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329372 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)  (Read 6637 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »

http://www.destructoid.com/project-phoenix-is-an-indie-jrpg-from-final-fantasy-vets-259747.phtml

There seem to be a lot of big names attached to this 'indie' JRPG.  I can't believe they're only asking for $100,000.  It actually has me kind of concerned that the target is so low...

Though what's really interesting is although the game is being lead by Final Fantasy vets they claim to have people who worked on Halo 4, Crysis 3, and LA Noire onboard, meaning it's not strictly Japanese developers. 

The plot description had me rolling me eyes with all the cliches (and seriously, Ruffles?), but the idea of incorporating RTS elements into the combat is interesting.  Shades of Growlanser, perhaps?

The game is targeting Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and they say they're "90% sure" PS4 and Vita versions will happen.  So basically they want to put it on everything...

The Kickstarter campaign hasn't actually launched yet.  This is a pre-announcement and it will start in a few days.  Because why not...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »

Maybe all those FF devs finally realized that tossing money and HD graphics was where they went wrong.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »

Maybe all those FF devs finally realized that tossing money and HD graphics was where they went wrong.

Which FF devs? The ones from Mistwalker or the ones from SQEX?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »

The project is being led by Hiroaki Yura, the violinist and head of the Eminence Symphony Orchestra in Australia.

I actually used to write for the Eminence blog and used to have pretty frequent communication with Yura-san. I don't know where this project came from, but I'm psyched that he's leading it and he has networked enough to bring a lot of people together for it. I have high hopes. :)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:48:42 PM »

What Ramza said.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

I certainly hope "Ruffles" is just a placeholder name until a more suitable one is thought of.  That's a worse name for a protagonist than Shulk.  Or if the default is Ruffles, please let there be an option to rename him.  Don't get me wrong, I like silly names; my old punk band jokingly called ourselves "Billy Rubin and The Specula" before we ultimately settled on Kryovax.  I was once in a strange music/comedy/nonsense project we called Godzilla vs. the Smurfs.  But, man, Ruffles is a terrible name for a hero. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »

It's only bad because of the chips brand. I'm pretty sure those don't exist in Japan.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:41 AM »

Even without the chips, Ruffles sounds like a name you'd give a pet, not a fallen angel.  Then again, he is amnesiac, so perhaps that *is* his placeholder name until he gets his memory back. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 01:57:45 PM »

I can't believe they're only asking for $100,000.  It actually has me kind of concerned that the target is so low..

It makes me question what's going on since they're targeting so many platforms and the release is set for 2015.  $100,000 equates to covering the cost of living for two individuals over that period of time, assuming you only wanted to pay them about $25,000 a year.

So yeah, curious to see where they're getting the rest of their money from.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »

I'm interested in seeing where this is going... and if this is going.

On one hand asking only $100k does seem a bit strange considering Wasteland 2 (which will please me greatly) initially asked for $900k. On the other hand if this actually happens it could be amazing.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »

Even without the chips, Ruffles sounds like a name you'd give a pet, not a fallen angel.  Then again, he is amnesiac, so perhaps that *is* his placeholder name until he gets his memory back. 

I got the impression that Ruffles is actually a she.  The developers refer to Ruffles as a her on their twitter account. 

I am hoping that it is indeed a placeholder name or that the player can change the name.  Aside from having another amnesiac protagonist, the project sounds interesting so far.   Incorporating RTS elements in the battle system could turn really good (i.e., Growlanser) or really bad (FFXII), depending on how it's implemented. 

EDIT:  Hey, the project has been launched:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:46:56 AM by daved » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »

I've never heard of Yoko Enoki (the scenario writer). Has anyone here got into any of her works in the past?
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

I got the impression that Ruffles is actually a she.  The developers refer to Ruffles as a her on their twitter account. 

Ruffles as a girl's name isn't any better.  Unless the katakana was misread and her name is Lovelace or something.  That's actually a cool name.  Although, an amnesiac female fallen angel named Loveless could be interesting too.  Yeah Loveless or Lovelace are way better than Ruffles.  Unless they were trying to name her after the Rafflesia flower (aka the corpse flower) which, again, is infinitely cooler than Ruffles and fitting for a fallen angel. 

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

Kickstarter is live and their website has actual info now!

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »

I'm excited about this game. I think it's going to be great.

@Yggdrasil Yoko Enoki is a famous, award-winning Fantasy novel writer in Japan. The kickstarter says she's written over 80 Fantasy novels.

Wow. Apparently they can't reveal the art supervisor until the release of the game. Credited for a very famous anime that everyone knows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:19:49 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: