Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334511 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)  (Read 7399 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 04:40:49 AM »

Finally a dream team comes together to make a top of the line Strategy JRPG. Fuck yeah. This is what the genre needs, a team who can put the soul back into this dying genre.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 04:45:52 AM »

I've seen a lot of people (and I mean a lot of people) bitching about the RTS aspect elsewhere on the internet.  They're not even reading the description of the gameplay provided and seem to just assume RTS = Starcraft or something...gah, I shouldn't be surprised by people being dumb on the internet, but come on...they use the term "squad-based" like 5 times and they've specifically said there's no resource management.  Then there's the combat description:

Combat uses a point and click system to control your party of heroes. Each hero has abilities they can use in battle, and the use of these abilities depletes either their mana (magic reserves) or their stamina. Tactical play and the combination of different heroes will be the main factors in your success, as well as taking advantage of the following conditions:
    Terrain: Terrain comes in different heights, so you can use the lay of the land to your advantage. There are also destructible elements to damage or slow down your foes. Some units also get a movement advantage in different terrain to allow for more strategy.
    Fog of War: Apart from special scenario objectives, the combat map will be hidden until explored. This helps keep things exciting and suspenseful and also gives you plenty of opportunity to use the scouting abilities of particular heroes.
    Threat Management: Generally enemies will target those they consider the greatest threat, or a specific target when the story dictates. However there are character abilities to redirect their attention to another character. Not only does this lend itself to structured defensive play knowing who the enemy will target will allow you to set up some cunning traps! Of course, no JRPG is complete without memorable, awe-inspiring bosses, and we have plenty of those as well. These challenging scenarios will have you focusing your entire party on an epic enemy, using your skill to win the day. 

Yeah, sounds just like Starcraft...I mean crikey, that description perfectly fits the Infinity Engine games (well, OK, they didn't have terrain height...).  I guess Baldur's Gate is just like Starcraft too!

Sorry, I'm just bitching...

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »

I Put $80 in. I want that OST and fiery mount....fiery mounts I am a sucker for those
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 10:57:25 AM »

Yeah,I had a friend that was super excited about this game. Then he found out it was an RTS and he "immediately lost all interest". I thought it was a little hasty of him to write off the entire game when he was excited about it. He should at least wait and play it before he passes judgement.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »

Even after reading the Kickstarter page I'm still skeptical, and it doesn't help either that I'm not into any kind of Strategy RPG.

...maybe I make an exception for this and give it a chance since I'm intrigued and it looks promising despite of my skepticism. We'll see.

Finally a dream team comes together to make a top of the line Strategy JRPG. Fuck yeah. This is what the genre needs, a team who can put the soul back into this dying genre.

Come let's be honest, JRPGs outside of the big series were never all that big of a deal as a genre in the West.

Sure there's a lot of people crying everyday about their childhood and RPGs in some place of the Internet, but if anyone really doesn't enjoy the genre anymore and they are just staying for the sake of their own nostalgia waiting for that special RPG to come out then you are just wasting your time if you have that kind of attitude.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »

Holy smokes, that's a good group of people working on it.  I wanna say 'how can this fail!?'
Like Ygg, I'm not terribly crazy for RT SRPG's... so hopefully it can be done right to make me happy.

I wonder if we can actually see a game that takes what we love from the J and W....!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »

I'd be careful about the whole "dream team" claims.  Sands of Destruction, anyone?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »

I'd be careful about the whole "dream team" claims.  Sands of Destruction, anyone?

I wouldn't really call this a dream team, but it's certainly a lot of respected people from different niches in the industry.

"Oh, a hunter..."
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

Holy smokes, that's a good group of people working on it.  I wanna say 'how can this fail!?'
Like Ygg, I'm not terribly crazy for RT SRPG's... so hopefully it can be done right to make me happy.

I wonder if we can actually see a game that takes what we love from the J and W....!

It's a pipe dream, but I still hope someone on the dev suggests an ST/TB setting option. Backing and will play regardless, though.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »

Going to back this on my break.

I hope the game has a solid focus and isn't a mess that comes out as a game for everyone and no one at the same time.

Judging by the write up though, I hope this will be everything it hopes to be.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »

"The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yielding a combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic"

So it's an action RPG.

Why the fuck can't someone just do an old fashioned turn based RPG for once?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

Growlanser isn't an ARPG and it is pretty much the standard turn-based RTS/SRPG.  Honestly, I could use that exact same description for every Growlanser title.  

(This is a good thing)
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »

"The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yielding a combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic"

So it's an action RPG.

Why the fuck can't someone just do an old fashioned turn based RPG for once?

Bravely Default, SMT IV, Trails in the Sky, Etrian Odyssey, bunch of Indie RPPGs probably. Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but all these are turn-based and old fashioned as far as combat goes.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

Growlanser isn't an ARPG and it is pretty much the standard turn-based RTS/SRPG.  Honestly, I could use that exact same description for every Growlanser title.  

(This is a good thing)

I thought of Growlanser too, naturally.  But Growlanser doesn't have a fog of war and pausing is mandatory (you can't even issue orders unpaused).  It's not really clear to me what Project Phoenix's take on issuing orders while paused is.  That can really change how the game is played...

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »

I thought of Shining Force.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: