Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 04:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327938 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Project Phoenix (another Kickstarter!)  (Read 6291 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »

I remember Grim Grimoire was a JRPG/RTS hybrid and that game was pretty fun. 

As for Project Phoenix, I remain cautiously optimistic like everyone else. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »

First stretch goal hit already.

Is anyone else kind of annoyed by the pricing on some of these rewards?  Example: The digital collector package costs $50.  The "Fiery Companion" costs $60 and adds an in-game pet thing and...sorry, no and.  That's all it adds.

Let's imagine a hypothetical situation where a company released an in-game pet as a $10 DLC.  Day 1 DLC, no less, since it's clearly in the game code already.  People would be screaming bloody murder.  They would be outraged.  But make it a Kickstarter reward instead and nobody seems to care...

Oh, but that's not all.  To use your pet as a mount "after completing the game" (I don't know if that means new game+ or post game content...) you have to go up to the $80 tier.  Jesus Christ.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

I remember Grim Grimoire was a JRPG/RTS hybrid and that game was pretty fun. 

As for Project Phoenix, I remain cautiously optimistic like everyone else. 

Grim Grimoire sucked.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »

First stretch goal hit already.

Is anyone else kind of annoyed by the pricing on some of these rewards?  Example: The digital collector package costs $50.  The "Fiery Companion" costs $60 and adds an in-game pet thing and...sorry, no and.  That's all it adds.

Let's imagine a hypothetical situation where a company released an in-game pet as a $10 DLC.  Day 1 DLC, no less, since it's clearly in the game code already.  People would be screaming bloody murder.  They would be outraged.  But make it a Kickstarter reward instead and nobody seems to care...

Oh, but that's not all.  To use your pet as a mount "after completing the game" (I don't know if that means new game+ or post game content...) you have to go up to the $80 tier.  Jesus Christ.

Reversing that logic buying a $10 day one DLC pet sounds overly high, while buying a full release game on day one and having had closed beta access to boot is crazy cheap. For Kickstarters it makes sense to me. It isn't really buying a pet for $10, it's just wanting to support the game a bit more. It's sort of like people who make the max tier contribution aren't generally thinking of what they're purchasing as much as what they're supporting.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »

Reversing that logic buying a $10 day one DLC pet sounds overly high, while buying a full release game on day one and having had closed beta access to boot is crazy cheap. For Kickstarters it makes sense to me. It isn't really buying a pet for $10, it's just wanting to support the game a bit more. It's sort of like people who make the max tier contribution aren't generally thinking of what they're purchasing as much as what they're supporting.

Sorry, but I think the "just wanting to support the game" attitude is wrong.  This isn't a donation to public radio.  Or a charity.  These people take the money from the Kickstarter to make a game, and then make more money from any additional copies sold (which there certainly will be, not everyone hops onboard Kickstarters).  These are for-profit operations, and they're not exactly sharing those profits with the backers.

Kickstarters are essentially about shifting all the risk from the developer/publishers to the backers.  You damn well should expect rewards for that.  If they don't have a decent reward structure then what the heck are you backing it for?

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 07:34:20 PM »

Sorry, but I think the "just wanting to support the game" attitude is wrong.  This isn't a donation to public radio.  Or a charity.  These people take the money from the Kickstarter to make a game, and then make more money from any additional copies sold (which there certainly will be, not everyone hops onboard Kickstarters).  These are for-profit operations, and they're not exactly sharing those profits with the backers.

Kickstarters are essentially about shifting all the risk from the developer/publishers to the backers.  You damn well should expect rewards for that.  If they don't have a decent reward structure then what the heck are you backing it for?

A lot of times looking through the RPGs currently in my backlog nothing seems overly drawing. When I see a project that looks like something I'd really enjoy I want to "support" it to both get that game funded and also help to show others who may be considering something along that line that it can work. Since you don't agree with it.... don't put in extra. It's a fairly simple solution, isn't it? If your mindset is all the extra X dollars gets you is the pet/cupholder/special hat and you don't think the offer is worth the cost then don't do buy it. You also have the option to buy the full game for $20, so instead of complaining that not everyone has your mindset isn't it easier to just choose the one you do consider worth it?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »

Obviously they gained a lot of money for this project by people who, more or less, just wanted to "support the game". There are few people who throw down a substantial amount to get the extras, but the majority of people are likely throwing between $10-$30 just to see a game they want released.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2013, 01:14:20 AM »

"The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yielding a combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic"

So it's an action RPG.

Why the fuck can't someone just do an old fashioned turn based RPG for once?

Bravely Default, SMT IV, Trails in the Sky, Etrian Odyssey, bunch of Indie RPPGs probably. Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but all these are turn-based and old fashioned as far as combat goes.

This is going to be on consoles right? How many console RPGs have been turned based in the last two or three years?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »

Update #1 : First Stretch Goal Down, Many More To Follow -- Kickstarter
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2013, 06:55:07 AM »

After looking at who was involved, I figured I would go all in and went with the 150 physical goods tier. Less certain about how good this will be compared to other games I've supported on Kickstarter (Project Eternity and Torment), but I am intrigued.

I'd be careful about the whole "dream team" claims.  Sands of Destruction, anyone?

Oh god don't give me nightmares. As I recall though Sands of Destruction wasn't so much a dream team as it was a random assortment of unimportant people who can truthfully claim to have worked on impressive games. At the very least they were missing any script writers who had worked on anything good before.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »

This is going to be on consoles right? How many console RPGs have been turned based in the last two or three years?

Project Phoenix is trying to get approved for PS4 and Vita and while it most likely will, right now the only confirmed platforms are  PC / Mac / Linux and probably tablet ports.   It is always disappointing to me when I see RPG developers dismiss turn-based systems as "archaic"; as if being a real-time "action RPG" automatically means it will be a superior game.

Right now their pitch is essentially , "Hey look at the big names we have working on this game. Give us MONEY!" (And of course this pitch seems to be working well, for now). But all we've really been told about the combat system is that it is real-time and that characters will "behave intelligently when not under player's direct control". What I want to know is, will have any input as to how the 3 characters we're not controlling behave? ( i.e., the gambit system in FFXII or the tactics setup in Dragon Age: Origins).   I hope for some explanation and not just vague promises that it will be innovative and tactical. How can the combat be "tactical" if 3/4 of your party is controlled by AI? It sounds like the guy who is in charge of the developing the battle system is most well known for working on LA Noire, so what does he know about designing a decent RPG battle? 

Also, the basic story synopsis sounds cliche as can be. An amnesiac angel has to join 3 other heroes to stop the evil orcs from destroying mankind. Really? That's the best this talented team could come up with? Now, certainly it's possible that they have some ideas that will keep this from becoming the most generic JRPG ever, but so far I'm not convinced.  If it's just going to be the a cookie cutter JRPG, what's the point in crowdfunding it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 11:09:09 AM by daved » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »

"The game departs from traditional RPG conventions through its use of RTS elements, yielding a combat system that is fast-paced and dynamic"

So it's an action RPG.

Bravely Default, SMT IV, Trails in the Sky, Etrian Odyssey, bunch of Indie RPPGs probably. Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but all these are turn-based and old fashioned as far as combat goes.

The entire Atelier series.

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:15 PM »

So it's an action RPG.

The entire Atelier series.

And Disgaea series.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »

Project Phoenix is trying to get approved for PS4 and Vita and while it most likely will, right now the only confirmed platforms are  PC / Mac / Linux and probably tablet ports.   It is always disappointing to me when I see RPG developers dismiss turn-based systems as "archaic"; as if being a real-time "action RPG" automatically means it will be a superior game.

Agreed. I'll pass on this cause of the battle system and the platforms.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »

Update #2 : Detailed Explanation of Stretch Goals

Update #3 : Leveling, Skills, and Squad Tactics

Source: Kickstarter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: