Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 04:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So... Board Games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: So... Board Games?  (Read 7814 times)
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 10:09:58 PM »

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-escape-curse-temple/
anyone actually play this game b4? it seems really fun and chaotic but it seems people who enjoy control and value taking time to make decisions may not appreciate it

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2013, 11:10:57 PM »

Ah yes, this game. It is extremely chaotic with a lot of shouting, and if you're not standing and yelling while playing--you're doing it wrong. I personally enjoy it, but I also understand that it's not for everyone. Case in point: I had a friend who was very interested in playing the game, but when she finally did, she hated it so much she swore to never play again. Space Alert has a little more structure to its game flow, whereas in this game most decisions are made on the fly. I've never played it with the background music, but I've heard it's good for timing when to head back to the starting area; we kind of eyeball the hourglass.

The time limit on the game makes the rolls extremely dependent on an honor system; there's no time to verify rolls or to really ensure that gold rolls are applied appropriately to locked dice. E.g. Player 1 has one locked die and Player 2 has two locked dice; someone rolls a gold--if the gold calls it out, who knows if P1 and P2 take one die back each or if P2 assumes he can clear both? Keep in mind that while this is happening, other people are likely getting locked or unlocked as well, and P1 or P2 could easily roll an unlock on their own. Coming up with a good system to prevent accidental cheating is probably the biggest challenge of the game. If you take time to verify rolls and applied unlocks, too much time will be wasted.

Regardless of these shortcomings, it's an enjoyable game. Definitely not the game for those who dislike co-op or extremely fast decision making. I never pass up playing this game since it is short, intense, and very fulfilling when successful. A few runs with a high energy group will likely result in everyone needing a break though. Definitely better with max players in my opinion, but others might find fewer players less chaotic and more manageable.

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
Rapturous
RPGFan Editor

Life is happiness

MyVoiceHurts
View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »

Escape and Last Will are fantastic.  Last Will is a fun Euro, so lots of calculation and efficiency involved.  The theme is pretty strong, and it has some unique mechanics.  The turn-based system is like Fresco's, but with more variety.

Escape is great, hectic fun.  Have to be with an active group to fully enjoy.  Light game, but unique and fun.

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2013, 10:41:54 AM »

I went to the open tabletop day at my local game store (almost every Saturday is open tabletop) and played a pretty excellent resource management game called Tzolk'in.  You manage workers, acquire resources, build monuments, and move up technology and offering trees on a board that has six large interlocking gears - after each round the gears turn, moving your workers along resource pathways and bringing you closer to the points at which you need to pay worker upkeep.  It's a pretty eye-catching board, and the game was both impressive in its design and fun to just see in action, with its gears-turning gimmick serving the gameplay well. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »

Went over to a friend/co-worker's place on Friday to play some games with his girlfriend and another co-worked. We started with Catan (which I have never played before), then went into Robo-rally, and finished up with....Little World? I probably got all three titles wrong in some way. *shrug*

Catan was interesting. I don't see why it has such an obsessive following, but it was fun. Robo-rally I was somewhat disappointed in as my friend had talked it up quite a bit and I was extremely meh on it. It was an interesting idea, but I just did not find the execution that good. Little World (or w/e it is called) was fun although I messed up in terms of strategy fairly early on.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 07:56:35 PM »

played like 10 games of pandemic today, did not realize that there's supposed to be a physical time limit. You kind haveta be blessed with rng playing with 6 epidemics and considering getting the expansion but it is like $48 and I got the base game for 25.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 05:43:29 AM »

While not a board game, I did end up playing Love Letter recently. What's amusing about the game is that it goes super quick and that the rulebook contains more :words: on backstory and plot compared to the actual rules of the game. The deck consists of only sixteen cards, minus one which gets set aside at the start of each hand randomly (plus three more for two player games), and players have a single card in their hand plus whatever they draw with the intent of playing one of the cards first. Cards are ordered from 1 to 8 with 8 being the most valuable and 1 being the most common and each card carries an effect when played. 1's let you guess what another player has in his/her hand and if you guess correctly, you knock them out for the rest of the round, 2's let you see another player's hand, 3's let you compare your hand to another player's and the player with the lower value gets knocked out for the rest of the round, 4's grant the player a turn of immunity, 5's will force a player to discard his/her hand and draw a new card in its place (provided they don't get knocked out in its place), the 6 will allow a player to swap hands with another player, the 7 must immediately be discarded if the player also holds either a 5 or the 6, and anyone forced to discard the 8 for any reason is immediately knocked out of the round. The winner is determined by the number of rounds won based upon the number of players (4 rounds for 4 players, 5 rounds for 3 players, and 7 rounds for 2 players).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »

We got the 5-6 player expansion for Settlers of Catan yesterday and had an epic conquest. This game is incredibly addicting. I'm so ready to become a board game nerd.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »

anyone ever play dungeon fighter? it looks like a pretty crazy game that puts a spin on dice rolling rpgs. Considering getting it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »

anyone ever play dungeon fighter? it looks like a pretty crazy game that puts a spin on dice rolling rpgs. Considering getting it.

Does Dungeon Fighter Online count?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 08:52:45 PM »

DFO is awesome! I would totally play a boardgame version.

That reminds me, has anyone tried Krosmaster? It's based on the Wakfu/Dofus world. The pieces look amazing and I'm tempted just because.

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »

eh it's less string together combos and get lewt and more, throw dice while facing backwards and blindfolded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1MQPlYS040

that game looks really fun, it sounds like a mini moba game actually. Would like to play games with miniatures like descent but they tend to drive the price way up. Also, http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana?ref=live has a really interesting concept with the use oft he technology. I guess I'll just stick to pandemic and settlers for now. Considering getting the pandemic expansion too but it's more expensive than the base game.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:29:33 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

Played an awesome game of Quarriors

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »

Heh, Qwarriors.  I usually get annoyed when a game seems TOO dependent on dice rolls, but Qwarriors takes it to a silly extreme and remains fun regardless.  Good times.  Haven't got a game group together any time in the past week or so except for one medium-sized round of drunken Cards Against Humanity. 

xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

Played the expansion for Seasons for the first time. I really liked the permanent card effects and unique player powers they added to the game. The new cards are also more interactive and complex. Some clarification is still necessary for certain card interactions, but overall, I think it made the game more interesting. Definitely needs to be taught with card drafting... the starter decks are really meh. It also added a much needed first player marker.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: