Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:19:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329941 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So... Board Games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: So... Board Games?  (Read 6452 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »

Played Suburbia. It is like a cut throat Simcity

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »

me and my brother got lords of waterdeep and galaxy truckers. Liked lords a lot, especially with 5 people, when you all just keep trying to screw each other over. Galaxy truckers is like build you ship, and then bad things happen.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

So has anyone tried the Civilization board game (as in the board game based upon the video game series Civilization)?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
xpsychedelico
Contributing Editor

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »

Civilization is a mammoth game. Only played it once. Lasted something like 10 hours, including teaching.

Very true to the themes in the video game; I've never actually played the video game but watched a little. Everyone gets a leader with individual powers/benefits. Many routes to victory (culture, technology, war, etc), no obvious paths, room to change strategies at any time. Pretty awesome, just need a good group for such an investment.

I've been told it can be as short as 3 hours if everyone knows how to play (we had 3 new players).

Would definitely play again.

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-great-board-games-for-ruining-friendships/

Relevant!

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2013, 08:52:20 AM »

So has anyone gotten the Firefly board game? I've read mixed reviews of it. I'm hopefully getting it this week as part of my monthly comic shipment, so I'm curious as to thoughts (assuming people have tried it).
xpsychedelico
Contributing Editor

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »

Hero Quest was a bunch of fun when I played it... just needs a good DM like every other dungeon crawler/D&D.

Union Pacific (1999) is a recent new game I played. Similar to Airlines Europe, but seriously way better. Also a train game rather than... planes. Best part is that you can lock others out of routes. In Airlines you pretty much have free reign to do whatever you want if you can afford it--you always can if you're patient. There is no money involved in Union Pacific, but you draw track cards that determine where you can place a train of a certain color per turn. There are four track types and common train colors are more versatile while the rarer ones only use particular tracks. Only first and second in a color score, so it's more cut throat as well, though ties split points.

Also been bingeing on Arkham Horror and losing way too much. A new expansion is in order. We already have Innsmouth, Dunwich, and Kingsport. Recommendations?

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
xpsychedelico
Contributing Editor

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »

Ticket to Ride the Video Game

Soooo this is in the latest humble bundle. Anyone tried it and any of the DLC? Asia teams is my favorite version of it... but seems ripe for cheating in video game mode.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:39 AM »

got Seasons, the game gets really hectic. might get the expansion later but I already ordered the Pandemic expansion and King of Tokyo.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »

So I finally got Agricola recently.  Haven't played it a whole lot yet, but from what I have I very much like what I've seen.  The game is as good as they say.  It's a bit early to call, but I think this might be a new favorite.

xpsychedelico
Contributing Editor

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »

Played Mascarade recently. The full game is great with many players (more the merrier). We house ruled to play with additional cards in the center and for every player's first move to be a swap as it was too easy otherwise. It's similar to Love Letter from what I've been told. Everyone has a hidden role that could be swapped with another player, and if they successfully claim to be a role they get its benefit. The kicker is that looking at your own card uses up your turn, and you don't get to look at the cards you are swapping. First person to 15 gold wins.

Good party game that needs tracking and deduction skills. Definitely one for the big groups as it plays up to 13.

The expansion for Agricola, Farmers of the Moor, really change things up. Love it more than the base game. We also like drafting the starting cards with players who know the game. Levels the playing field and prevents surprises from lucky combos.

mainmango
Let's Play Youtuber

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 01:12:25 AM »

So I finally got Agricola recently.  Haven't played it a whole lot yet, but from what I have I very much like what I've seen.  The game is as good as they say.  It's a bit early to call, but I think this might be a new favorite.

I tried Agricola at a board game cafe. I was reluctant to play it simply because of how it looked but apparently quite highly regarded. I don't know if the person trying to explain the game to me was a little confusing or if the game is really that complex but I was having trouble understanding the game.

Has anyone tried the recent Game of Thrones board game? I played it with 5 other players. The game lasted for 6 hours but man was it fun. Sadly I lost quite badly but it was really fun to slowly understand the mechanics of the game.

Let's Play Series in progress:
Dragon Quest VIII
DMC: Devil May Cry
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 04:21:01 AM »

I tried Agricola at a board game cafe. I was reluctant to play it simply because of how it looked but apparently quite highly regarded. I don't know if the person trying to explain the game to me was a little confusing or if the game is really that complex but I was having trouble understanding the game.

Agricola is one of those games that sounds really complicated when you're reading the rules but when I actually tried playing it I didn't find it complicated at all.  Actually, I grasped most of the systems right away.

Did you try playing the 'family' version first?  Without the occupation and minor improvement cards?  I think it's a good way to start out, even though it's not really that much simpler than the full game.  All the essential rules are there.  Of course you lose a lot of variety without those cards, but if it's your first time playing that doesn't really matter.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

ok so me and my brother signed up for board game arena and the site has quite a few good games like libertalia and seasons, so if people want to play just say something I guess. I'm so ronery.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »

I didn't come last, it's all I wanted in life.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: