Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341140 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So... Board Games?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: So... Board Games?  (Read 8991 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2013, 02:11:31 PM »

I'm surprised about your experience with BGA... Everyone I've played with has been nice. Some get a little touchy when you take a long time to take your turn, but tend to be forgiving if you let them know you're new/learning.

Yeah. I can't really explain it either beyond interface screw. One moment, I'm dumping my little villagers into the forest to harvest some wood, the next I can't do anything because the A) the space will accept no more people, B) I can't find the command to confirm my action, C) I can't find the command to cancel my action, and D) I can't do anything else but watch the timer tick down and ask for help on the sideboard chat before getting booted the moment my timer goes over. And this wasn't my first game of Stone Age either. There should've been no problem. And all the while I was getting a warning from my browser that it was blocking a pop up from popping up. I considered refreshing the page, but I wasn't certain that such action wouldn't have been considered me dropping the game in the middle of it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 05:23:28 PM »

Played my first game of Terra Mystica yesterday.  I'd just like to say that the rulebook is a big confusing mess.  I mean, it's not really a simple game but it feels about ten times harder than it should when you first play it because the rulebook is so badly written.  Once we finally started to figure things out (which took a couple hours...) I started to think that it was actually a pretty cool game.  But god damn they need to rewrite the rulebook to actually be readable and sensibly organized...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »

So it turns out that when someone is trapped in unemployment purgatory, they can get bored enough to give something that gave them a bad experience another shot (especially if that someone had already made all the commitments necessary for the first trial). Unfortunately, it turns out that the 'something' in particular is really fucking addictive, even in the face of all the issues that crop up around the site.

So again,
Code:
redacted for security purposes.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:57:48 AM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

was thinking of getting terra mystica, but I'll probably wait till it drops a bit lower. Got eldritch horror and played a 3 hour game with my friends, was pretty awesome. But yeah I've been busy with shin gundam musou and tales of xillia but will probably be on more often soon.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »

Earlier tonight I played some Adventure Time Card Wars and DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Heroes Unite.  Heroes Unite is probably better than the original - card types are more balanced, Supervillains are stronger, and there are fewer Batman and Justice League cards with more Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, and Teen Titans.  Card Wars is decent, with a lineage closer to Magic or YuGiOh than most CCGs.  Cornfields deck is baller. 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »

So two things of minor importance.

1. Today is International Table Top Game Day! So everyone go out and play board games with your friends or with total strangers! Because everyone is doing it!

2. Allegiance: A Realm Divided is a kickstarter for a board game (well maybe more of a card game) that I think looks amazing and needs support in order to get funded, so all of you go and give them your money!
xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Finally learned Eclipse and Merchants and Marauders. Neither were as complicated as I thought they were going to be. I like M&M more though, partially because you can win as a merchant, pirate, or dabble in both to achieve the win. The theme is also tight and awesome, and I like that you can always come back as another captain if you "die."

Is anyone going to Origins Game Fair this year? http://originsgamefair.com/

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »

I like Merchants and Marauders, but I dislike how it can sometimes feel like you are accomplishing nothing on your turn, or that your ship is moving at a snail's pace.  It's still an awesome game, but hard for impatient people like me to play with people who might be slower or take a longer time strategizing.

Eclipse is one of my favorites though, especially because of how many paths to victory there can be.  I personally prefer using the blue alien guys and working towards a science victory by researching everything and building monoliths.  The only negative thing at all (IMO) about Eclipse is that it has been so damn difficult to find a large amount of people to play it with.  My friend owns it and the expansion, and the most we've gotten to the table is five people. We aspire to have a nine person game one day.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

iPad version of Eclipse is magnificent.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »

played King of Tokyo yesterday. Fun as hell.
xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2014, 07:34:28 PM »

I've heard of M&M being a bit of a time sink as well--I think it depends on the players for sure. We played a 3 player game with 2 new players, probably around 2.5 hours with teaching. I've read that you could speed up the game by having the next person start their turn when someone ports as their last action since the port action doesn't affect what's going to happen next.

With all the micromanagement, Eclipse definitely sounds like it would benefit from being on the iPad as much as Dominant Species would. Didn't try the alien races yet, but I am often told the humans are pretty awesome. Things could definitely get overwhelming and lengthy with more players; I knew someone who tried learning Eclipse as a 9 player game with 8 new players... they stopped playing after about 8 or 9 hours when it was 3am and never finished it.

Has anyone played Nations? It looks somewhat promising considering I've been wanting to learn Through the Ages but feel pretty intimated by the massive amount of information required to play well.

"Clockwork is clockwork. One. Two. In. Out. But Necessity she a goddess. She turn your muscles to water and your bones to oil. One day you meet her and you will see that Mobius is right." - Mobius the Stripper
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2014, 01:50:08 AM »

boardgamearena just got Through the Ages, me and 3 friends spent like 3 hours on skype playing through 2 games of it to learn. Some of the pvp aspects can get pretty mean. Just got Suburbia and its expansion. Also, waiting for marvel dice masters to restock on coolstuffinc.com so I can get some boosters.

OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

Played "Wiz War" with my wife and another couple Sunday night. Thought it would be a fun wizard game with a deck of cards that had spells and counter-spells. The game went sour fast when I played a card that let me take two of my wife's cards out of her choice seven. Turns out she needed those two cards to save her home-base remaining tablets. She retaliated by going after my wizard and taking my life down to four points where my friend then proceeded to finish me off two rounds later when I invaded his home base to take his remaining tablet. Game was over when my life points went down to zero. Interesting game, but I don't know if I'd play it again.

I like more co-op board games or games that let you collect resources to win.

My favorites are still Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, Settlers and Puerto Rico.

Playing: SMTIV (3DS).
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:36 PM »

Played "Wiz War" with my wife and another couple Sunday night. Thought it would be a fun wizard game with a deck of cards that had spells and counter-spells. The game went sour fast when I played a card that let me take two of my wife's cards out of her choice seven. Turns out she needed those two cards to save her home-base remaining tablets. She retaliated by going after my wizard and taking my life down to four points where my friend then proceeded to finish me off two rounds later when I invaded his home base to take his remaining tablet. Game was over when my life points went down to zero. Interesting game, but I don't know if I'd play it again.

I like more co-op board games or games that let you collect resources to win.

My favorites are still Ticket to Ride, Stone Age, Settlers and Puerto Rico.

I actually prefer Epic Spell Wars to Wiz War as I don't like the running around the grid based map thing. Here's a vid comparing the two, I really love these guys' series of board game reviews, check out their site if you ever want to see what' coming out.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfMCSpXGf8

As for co-op I just got the Eldritch Horror expansion and having a lot of fun with it, though the game is a bit lengthy.

xpsychedelico

xpsychedelico
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41:49 PM »

Has anyone tried The Capitals? It's city-building like Suburbia but with more icons and complexity. I like the simplicity of Suburbia, but The Capitals has more combo potential and multiple tracks to juggle.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: